• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Kevin Shattenkirk

Phil

That's flat out untrue. He's the most positionally sound and veteran D on the team, one that lacks experience and leadership on the blue line. He has way more value than Shattenkirk to us, right now.

couldn't agree more. Doesn't make him a stud but he's at least competent in his own end and in front of the net . Somebody has to actually play defense.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not directed towards you ,but I think kreider deserves as much money as Hayes

I think that he deserves more money than Hayes. The problem is not who holds more value between the two, but rather how grossly overpaid Hayes is on this current contract he signed with Philadelphia. Some of the national writers are even starting to list it as one of the worst contracts in the league even though he hasn't even played a game(below).

https://puckprose.com/2019/07/17/each-nhl-team-worst-contract-heading-2019-20-season/23/

I wouldn't even have an issue with him making 7 million a year as long as the term was 4 years or less.

It makes no sense to buy out staal. Just wait it out.

It makes perfect sense. He can maybe hold a spot this season, but there's no way he's holding off all of Rykov, Fox, Lindgren or whoever else all the way into the 2020 season. We will already be paying over $6 mil for Shatty not to be here and we can either pay Staal the full $5.7 to sit his 34 year old ass in the press box or we can buy him out next offseason and pay $3.5 mil. It's the only out with his NMC unless he just retires. You save $2 mil off the cap and and have a measly $1 mil penalty the next year.

I think that he deserves more money than Hayes. The problem is not who holds more value between the two, but rather how grossly overpaid Hayes is on this current contract he signed with Philadelphia. Some of the national writers are even starting to list it as one of the worst contracts in the league even though he hasn't even played a game(below).

https://puckprose.com/2019/07/17/each-nhl-team-worst-contract-heading-2019-20-season/23/

I wouldn't even have an issue with him making 7 million a year as long as the term was 4 years or less.

agree

That's flat out untrue. He's the most positionally sound and veteran D on the team, one that lacks experience and leadership on the blue line. He has way more value than Shattenkirk to us, right now.

Disagree. Because Sam and Joe said it night after night doesn't make it so. He is positionally is okay, but he isn't physical, he doesn't make a good breakout pass nor carry the puck and he gives you nothing offensively. These young guys are all going to make mistakes but they'd be hard-pressed to be any less impactful that Staal.When you bring up "intangibles" like leadership you are saying he isn't much of a player.

Having said that, now makes no sense to buy him out at least until next summer.

Disagree. Because Sam and Joe said it night after night doesn't make it so. He is positionally is okay, but he isn't physical, he doesn't make a good breakout pass nor carry the puck and he gives you nothing offensively. These young guys are all going to make mistakes but they'd be hard-pressed to be any less impactful that Staal.When you bring up "intangibles" like leadership you are saying he isn't much of a player.

Players like Staal and Shatty don't have the skills they had in their Prime and when they do talk about these "intangibles", it reinforces the narrative that they aren't able to maintain that they aren't the players they were.

Wow, I really thought we were not gonna buyout anyone. Shatty dead cap for next year, 6.084 mil.—can become a really big problem.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And the buyout means we won't be able to trade Kreider since he has one more year left on his UFA Contract and will be stuck about whether to trade or extend him before July 1st of next year

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-kevin-shattenkirk-buyout-1.34507374

And the buyout means we won't be able to trade Kreider since he has one more year left on his UFA Contract and will be stuck about whether to trade or extend him before July 1st of next year

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-kevin-shattenkirk-buyout-1.34507374

NYR have drafted and traded for all these young D guys. Time to find out if they can play.

tried to move shattenkirk, couldn’t, had to free up the logjam in defense. rangers have full-time number crunchers to think about permutations and different scenarios depending on how much the salary cap goes up in subsequent years. it’s all good

tried to move shattenkirk, couldn’t, had to free up the logjam in defense. rangers have full-time number crunchers to think about permutations and different scenarios depending on how much the salary cap goes up in subsequent years. it’s all good

No it’s not. It’s wasted cap space and it hurts the team. To what degree will be determined

We'll actually be fine next off-season. With what we have coming off the books we will have around $17 or $18 mill coming off. That's not counting burying Smith again, or the cap going up, or the extra 2 mil that can be created by buying out Staal next offseason. We will probably have as much as $24 mil to work with if we want it and all we have to do is re-sign Kreider, Fast, and Strome if we choose to. That will give us a full roster.

Then the following season we clear Staal, Smith, Lundqvist, and Shatty's big buyout penalty. That's another $25 million coming off without even having any UFA's worth bringing back and not losing anybody in the long term plans. We are actually in very good shape for the future. This was the tough year to get though. I can see why they did what they did now.

Staal will be a prime candidate for a buyout next year. It will take most of his contract off the books for 20-21, when we most need the space, and move it to the following season, when we will be better able to take it with Hank off the books. The fact that we couldn't move Shatty with 50% retention does not bode well for getting rid of Namesnikov. I would think that Strome, at 3.1 and coming off a good season, would be moveable without retention. But all of these dumps are tougher than expected!

In addition to cap concerns, the expansion draft is militating against an extension for Kreider. With an NMC, he would have to be protected, and that will mean not protecting some good young player who otherwise would be protected.

Staal will be a prime candidate for a buyout next year. It will take most of his contract off the books for 20-21, when we most need the space, and move it to the following season, when we will be better able to take it with Hank off the books. The fact that we couldn't move Shatty with 50% retention does not bode well for getting rid of Namesnikov. I would think that Strome, at 3.1 and coming off a good season, would be moveable without retention. But all of these dumps are tougher than expected!

In addition to cap concerns, the expansion draft is militating against an extension for Kreider. With an NMC, he would have to be protected, and that will mean not protecting some good young player who otherwise would be protected.

I can see him waiving his NMC to go play for Calgary at the deadline depending where we are. 1/2 retained is still better than the buyout and maybe we'll get a 3rd rounder back.

No it’s not. It’s wasted cap space and it hurts the team. To what degree will be determined

It's worse to keep young defenders in the minors, and a business decision. Shattenkirk doesn't fit with roster construction of the team, keeping him around is worse than the cap hit.

It's worse to keep young defenders in the minors, and a business decision. Shattenkirk doesn't fit with roster construction of the team, keeping him around is worse than the cap hit.

Maybe. Being in the position they are in to have to buyout shattenkirk should have never happened being where they are as a team. Impatience causes bad decisions and has cost this franchise since the beginning of time. The decision on July 1st 2019 will be felt for years to come. Kreiders up next.

Maybe. Being in the position they are in to have to buyout shattenkirk should have never happened being where they are as a team. Impatience causes bad decisions and has cost this franchise since the beginning of time. The decision on July 1st 2019 will be felt for years to come. Kreiders up next.

They're there because of decisions made in the past. I know you didn't like the Panarin signing, and we don't have to go over that again, but I think signing Panarin and Trouba were the right decisions and they were made knowing there would be consequences.

And please, let's not try and create a narrative where Kreider is a cap casualty. If they move on from him it's because they don't want to commit to him for 7 years, not because of the cap.

Sorry I don't buy the rhetoric; Panarin(11.5 million) + Trouba(8 million) > Shattenkirk(6.5 million) + Kreider(7 million).

Players like Staal and Shatty don't have the skills they had in their Prime and when they do talk about these "intangibles", it reinforces the narrative that they aren't able to maintain that they aren't the players they were.
Whatever you said here that makes sense is inaccurate but none of it really makes sense.

We can still, and should, trade Kreider. One has nothing to do with the other.

I don't care who says it, it's a fact. Young teams need leadership and Staal provides it. You act like Quinn was doing Staal any favors pairing him with Pionk and Shattenkirk... And yet Staal was still decent playing with probably the two weakest defensive players he's ever partnered with.

I know we had to buy out either Shatty or Smith, but I kind of wish it was Smith only because next years hit is gonna hurt. I feel if Shatty could have played better this year, he would have been movable at the deadline. No one is taking Smith unless he is packaged with someone else. Smith is an absolute waste here. If anything, would rather have seen Shatty bought out next year to save some cap space.

Makes zero sense buying him out next year when in the following year he comes off the books anyway. Staal has been one of their better defensive defensemen and is a good leader on the ice and in the locker room. Move him and you have zero veteran presence on a very young blue line. We saw what happened to MDZ when we had no veteran presence on the blue line, let?s not make that mistake again.