• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Kevin Shattenkirk

Phil

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the kid works out but no way he should be handed second line minutes. And yeah the medal throwing deal was weak. He showed virtually nothing so let's reward him. I mean he was NHL ready according to the front office, right?

I agree on second line minutes, but it's up to the coaching staff. Pit him and Howden against each other for that third C spot in camp or move him to wing. What high draft pick started on the fourth line and had success? If he improved his skating, no reason he can't compare to Howden or surpass him over the long run. We'll see.

Hope the kid works out but no way he should be handed second line minutes. And yeah the medal throwing deal was weak. He showed virtually nothing so let's reward him. I mean he was NHL ready according to the front office, right?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree on second line minutes, but it's up to the coaching staff. Pit him and Howden against each other for that third C spot in camp or move him to wing. What high draft pick started on the fourth line and had success? If he improved his skating, no reason he can't compare to Howden or surpass him over the long run. We'll see.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

We’re going to see what this kid is made of. His detractors have a strong case as he’s done very little and the early returns on him leave much to be desired. If the intangibles they talked up on him are there, hopefully he draws on them and responds. Quinn will in no way be easy on him.

This post is almost like an intentional troll(or very high brow sarcasm that I don't get).

Qualify that comment.

It's self explanatory. There's a reason Howden made the roster and Lias didn't. He's a total non factor out there, he's not even a dominant AHL player.
He has hated Andersson forever. I think because the medal throwing.
I don't hate anyone. He's just not good.

It's self explanatory. There's a reason Howden made the roster and Lias didn't. He's a total non factor out there, he's not even a dominant AHL player. I don't hate anyone. He's just not good.

I don't think "his effort is shit" is self explanatory, considering that its the opposite of everything else that's been said about him.

I don't think "his effort is shit" is self explanatory, considering that its the opposite of everything else that's been said about him.
Yea, it totally is self explanatory. And then "total non factor" is pretty self explanatory, too.

I mean jesus watch a game and tell me you ever even notice him out there... You can't, unless you're specifically looking for him. Then you'll see him not being the first man to the puck, not winning 1 on 1 battles, not being effective at anything, really.

He's a total non factor out there, he's not even a dominant AHL player.

Maybe not dominant, but he was going at around a ppg clip in Hartford before they called him up to play 8 minutes a night on a line of plugs.

I think that was mistake tbh, they should have kept him where he was if they didn't envision a bigger role for him.

Maybe not dominant, but he was going at around a ppg clip in Hartford before they called him up to play 8 minutes a night on a line of plugs.

I think that was mistake tbh, they should have kept him where he was if they didn't envision a bigger role for him.

This, I agree with. Neither party are doing the other any favors. He's not making the decision to send him down or scratch him tough for the team... And they've kind of yo-yoed him.

"Andersson is an excellent team player. Never takes a shift off. Also blessed with good hockey sense and plays a strong two-way game. Offensively, Andersson stands out with impressive puck skills, a good shot and fine speed. Has the tools to become a scoring line player, but could also become an excellent role player who always gives 100%. (EP 2017)"-Elite Prospects

The kid got drafted in the year this thing started getting torn down to the studs and the culture here sucked with Zuccarello's fate hanging in the balance as well as all of the other cornerstone's of this team of the past. He was plugged into a losing roster on a losing team; in no way should Lias be considered a bust. I agree with the idea of giving him a helluva shot this year as he has had a couple to groom his game and adjust a bit. Show us what you got kid because this will be your best opportunity with this new roster.

Absolutely disagree. It's really a shame what has happened to him since he was drafted. First off, the Rangers totally reached picking him at #7; if Casey Middlestadt was not the player that they wanted, they should have traded down from this pick. Most of the major ranking services had him anywhere from 12-20, none in the top 10 where there is usually a drop off around 7-8-9.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Then facing the blowback on the Derek Stepan trade, the Rangers hype machine went into overdrive to "justify" the pick. Looks at most pre-draft evaluations, and he is compared to Frans Nielsen which would awesome if he develops into that type of production. Post draft the names he was compared to are Henrik Zetterberg, David Keiji and Derek Stepan himself. Then with a barren farm system absent Kaako, Miller, Kravstov, etc......; he doesn't make the NHL roster as an 18 year old, and all of the "bust" tags start to sprout up.

https://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/13/lias-andersson-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-15/

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/players-that-lias-andersson-has-drawn-comparisons-to/252838068

Year 2 he loses out to Brett Howden, when alot of people thought he had a marginally better pre-season; now the "bust" tag at 19 years old is really a label. In the few call ups that he was given, mostly 3rd and 4th line minutes(which is where he should be playing) with linemates like Conor Brickley, Boo Nieves, Steve Fogarty, etc... who are not known for producing huge amounts of offense on their own. He actually plays 22 of his 32 games on the 4th line. The coach is even on record saying that he really hasn't been able to utilize Anderson properly.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/21/david-quinn-hasnt-been-able-to-develop-a-rangers-fourth-line/

The whole point of this rant is that, Anderson should definitely NOT be getting more seasoning in Hartford, but rather healthy 2nd-3rd line minutes at the NHL level at Center, with linemates that can produce some offense so that they can evaluate what they want to do with him and/or if he is part of the long term plans, or just 3rd/4th line plug that they over reached on in a weak draft.

They really needed to package him with a salary to cut bait and create cap space. I don't see him as more than a bottom 6 player. This team has enough of those kind of players.

I seem to remember, maybe JG or Quinn, saying that Strome was an excellent lockerroom guy (because he's a big talker) and he embraced the role he was given in the 2nd half of the season. Strome could come out next season with a career year (like his bro) because he'll have legitimate talent playing his wings. I think he'll stick around longer then Names at the very least.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Two years after the draft and its time to trade him already. Unbelievable. I bet Vancouver is happy they didn't trade the Sedins after three straight 30 point seasons.

Crazy. Ignorance at it's finest. I'm not even an Andersson apologist, but the fact he's on the edge of being written off by a large majority of the fanbase is insane. Zero patience.

Two years after the draft and its time to trade him already. Unbelievable. I bet Vancouver is happy they didn't trade the Sedins after three straight 30 point seasons.
Crazy. Ignorance at it's finest. I'm not even an Andersson apologist, but the fact he's on the edge of being written off by a large majority of the fanbase is insane. Zero patience.
Well, it's context.

Andersson wasn't even ranked in the top 10 by most pre draft lists. So when the Rangers take him at 7... With the explanation that he was NHL ready... Which he's not ... Not even AHL ready, really... Then there's gonna be backlash.

I'm not in the "trade him" camp, but I also wouldn't give a shit of they did. I haven't given up on him, but the idea that we're hoping our #7 overall develops into a competent bottom 6 player... Well that's a swing and a miss if there ever was one.

Now it turns out this draft was kinda crap anyways, so... Fine. Gordon traded up in the wrong draft... I don't get why people are kissing his ass when his "best" moves were no brainers or landed in his lap.

I can't say he traded up in the wrong year and at this point it is what it is. If they don't trade Stepan before his no trade sets in, does Hayes ever improve enough as the 3rd center to be traded for Lemieux and a 1st? What would the return be for Stepan if they had a limited number of teams with which to trade years later? What would Andersson's numbers be if he was still playing in junior like Cody Glass?

At the end of the day I'm not mad at having Andersson, DeAngelo, Lemieux and Trouba over Stepan, Raanta, Hayes and Pionk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I can't say he traded up in the wrong year and at this point it is what it is. If they don't trade Stepan before his no trade sets in, does Hayes ever improve enough as the 3rd center to be traded for Lemieux and a 1st? What would the return be for Stepan if they had a limited number of teams with which to trade years later? What would Andersson's numbers be if he was still playing in junior like Cody Glass?

At the end of the day I'm not mad at having Andersson, DeAngelo, Lemieux and Trouba over Stepan, Raanta, Hayes and Pionk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This makes a lot of sense. I agree with alot of it.

I still don't think Andersson was the right pick.