• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

OTT Acquires Ryan Callahan From TBL for Mike Condon

Phil

If Callahan can be moved for an actual hockey player, I feel like the Rangers probably have options other than buyout.

EVERYONE has Ottawa on their NTC list, though.

Players have NTC/NMC because they DONT want to be traded. They will put most teams in Canada, any teams with cap space on that NTC list.

If Callahan can be moved for an actual hockey player, I feel like the Rangers probably have options other than buyout.

Cally doesn't have another year, if you're comparing him to the D (Smith, Shatty).

Yes, they can move Strome and Namest.

EVERYONE has Ottawa on their NTC list, though.

Players have NTC/NMC because they DONT want to be traded. They will put most teams in Canada, any teams with cap space on that NTC list.

Depends. Cally had an NTC too.

This is an unusual trade that doesn't speak to the Rangers' situation. Cally was owed money but did not incur a cap hit. Ott is paying money, in the form of taking on Cally, in exchange for TB taking Condon off Ottawa's hands. It's strange that the deal involves TB adding cap. You'd expect a deal between these teams to go the other way.

This is an unusual trade that doesn't speak to the Rangers' situation. Cally was owed money but did not incur a cap hit. Ott is paying money, in the form of taking on Cally, in exchange for TB taking Condon off Ottawa's hands. It's strange that the deal involves TB adding cap. You'd expect a deal between these teams to go the other way.

The tl;dr version is that Ott is better able to get to the cap floor and will save money in actual cash payouts. I'm pretty confused as to why Tampa did it though, as well. I guess there might be a benefit to burying Condon in the minors instead of using LTIR?

The tl;dr version is that Ott is better able to get to the cap floor and will save money in actual cash payouts. I'm pretty confused as to why Tampa did it though, as well. I guess there might be a benefit to burying Condon in the minors instead of using LTIR?

it actually makes sense for both teams now that I think about it. Sens don't have to pay Callahan because he'll be on LTIR, insurance pays his salary. So Melnik saves cash. TB freed up cap space cause Condon's caphit is only $1.37 million if buried in AHL

it actually makes sense for both teams now that I think about it. Sens don't have to pay Callahan because he'll be on LTIR, insurance pays his salary. So Melnik saves cash. TB freed up cap space cause Condon's caphit is only $1.37 million if buried in AHL

Not really. Cally's cap hit is 0 on LTIR. They've added cap with Condon.

I see no coherent explanation developing from the posters, which is, for now, because there is no coherent explanation. If Tampa was not paying $ to Cally because it is insured and not incurring a cap hit, he is inert, and there would be no detriment to keeping him for TB and no benefit to the Senators in getting him. Can't understand this. There must be some benefit to TB in getting rid of him, because they don't need an AHL goalie on a one way who will result in a cap hit, even if it is pretty small.