• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Lemieux Is A Jagged Little Piece of Rangers? Cap Puzzle

Phil

Provided Lemieux?s 19-game sample in New York ? admittedly a small one ? isn?t a total and complete abberration, the roughly 0.3 P/GP scoring rate he performed at last season could make for a fantastic return on investment should it continue and the Rangers manage to keep him at the bargain rate he?s likely to sign for.

According to The Twins over at EvolvingWild, Lemieux is projected to be retained for $993,510 on a two-year ticket. That kind of contract would not only carry him through his 25th birthday, but could see him put up career numbers given what we know of forward scoring arcs relative to age.

Lemieux?s hyper-aggression is what endears him to both fans and his coaching staff, but isn?t without its own risks, including the penalty differential he battles with each year. He lead all Rangers last season in penalty minutes per game (2.18) and had the fourth-highest minor penalties per 60 (1.72) ? though the latter also deals with a heavy sample size caveat.

Still, while fighting has dwindled across the league on its way to becoming a non factor event, physical play hasn?t, and Lemieux brings it in spades. In many ways, what he lacks in offensive ability is generally made up for in his relentless physical approach in which he?s often the catalyst to battles both during game play and after the whistle.

While there is clearly a limit to the height of Lemieux?s would-be success ? one heavily influenced by his own talent shortcomings ? there?s still enough left to his approach worth investing in.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/7/29/8933569/brendan-lemieux-is-a-jagged-little-piece-of-new-york-rangers-salary-cap-puzzle

I like him, and if they can sign him to the projected cost it’s a bit of a no brainer really.

If he can play the way he does whilst putting up 25-30 points that’s excellent value.

He needs to work on his defensive game, however.

I like him, and if they can sign him to the projected cost it’s a bit of a no brainer really.

If he can play the way he does whilst putting up 25-30 points that’s excellent value.

I absolutely LOVE this kid!!!!

He's a "must sign", and I think Gorton and JD know it. They'll get this one done for sure. I believe in this management team....They're good and they'll navigate this salary cap shit they inherited.....no worries from me.

While it would be nice for him to put up that much, I don't think he will. Ill take him at that 2 year deal, no problem, but they also have to use him properly. He is a good 3rd/4th liner, I wouldn't use him any higher though. Like you said, his defensive game needs a lot of work.

Nice. One aspect of his game that you don’t mention is that, whilst he gets penalised a lot, he draws as many as he takes. That’s a positive in his game imo.

Yeah, I kind of glossed over it some in the differential. I probably should have made a stronger note about him being positive in the category.

I mean, I don't see him as higher than a third-line. He reminds me a lot of Dorsett.

I think he may have a little more talent than Dorsett. He's still just a kid and learning, but I absolutely ADORE his ability to be feisty. Plus, there's no denying his pedigree.

The only thing his pedigree means is that he has a douche for a father lol

:rofl: True!!! However...

He was a pain in the ass to play against though! I wouldn't have minded having a player like him for all those years of service he gave those critters over there in NJ. ;)

:rofl: True!!! However...

He was a pain in the ass to play against though! I wouldn't have minded having a player like him for all those years of service he gave those critters over there in NJ. ;)

I hear you ,but still a douche bag

Love the tag line "uses face as a punching bag". De'Angelos one punch fight with Okposo was right up there with Lem vs. Wood.
:thumbs:

I just saw that the rangers had the second most fighting majors last season ,15 I think

:thumbs:

I just saw that the rangers had the second most fighting majors last season ,15 I think

Yeah Lefty, I was surprised that NYR were 2nd in the league as well. It's too bad our biggest guys are afraid of breaking a nail. Panarin actually trains in MMA. I hope he doesn't try to test it out though.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk