• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Kevin Shattenkirk Will Soon be Rangers Salary-Cap Casualty

Phil

The Rangers have made two trades this offseason and both were for right-hand defensemen who play the power play. So what does that tell you about Kevin Shattenkirk’s future on Broadway?

That, plus the cap fix into which management willingly leaped by signing Artemi Panarin and Jacob Trouba for a combined $19.654 million-plus, tells me Shattenkirk’s tenure as Blueshirt will be over by the close of the team’s second buyout window Wednesday at 5 p.m.

And because the Rangers are a projected $4.155 million over the cap with a 23-man shadow roster — which assumes Brendan Smith and Matt Beleskey will be in AHL Hartford; entry-level freshmen Kaapo Kakko, Vitali Kravtsov, Adam Fox and Libor Hajek will start in New York; and yet unsigned restricted free agents Tony DeAngelo and Brendan Lemieux will play for their respective one-year, $874,125 qualifiers because they won’t have any other choice if they want to skate in the NHL this season — buying out Shattenkirk’s $6.65 million hit should be an open-and-shut case.

The move would clear $5.17 million of space for this season — which would give the Rangers a little over $1.1 million with which to maneuver, pending further transactions. Yes, the buyout of the 30-year-old defenseman, whose 2017 training camp injury has all but fatally compromised his game, would burden the club with $1.43 million in dead space for 2021-22 and 2022-23. And yes, adding dead space down the road is generally bad business for a rebuilding operation, but you know what is much, much worse business?

Trading one of your best players in order to comply with the cap while keeping a guy who probably wouldn’t dress every night and whose role would be limited when he did. That’s what.

If Shattenkirk is still a Ranger at 5:01 Wednesday evening, I will be very, very surprised.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/27/why-kevin-shattenkirk-will-soon-be-rangers-salary-cap-casualty/

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No buyout. You can get rid of him.

How can you possibly say that? If it’s possible to move them for literally nothing in return they would. It makes no sense not to if you’re going to buy him out anyway. Saying you can move them is nice but rooted in fantasy if they don’t. Because if they don’t its because they can’t find a taker.

Everyone knows the Rangers' hand is being forced by the Wednesday deadline, so I can't see anyone trading for him even with retention when they know he will be available to sign on Thursday, probably for less. Yes, as mentioned above, Larry failed to mention that the big cap hit with a buyout will be in 20-21, the year when they can least afford it. As painful as whatever moves await us now, the more painful ones will take place a year from now. If Hank and Staal's contracts were just one year shorter, we'd be in a considerably better position.

We don't know the trade market. It might be the only move they can make.

Regardless. Can’t justify that devastating 2nd year cap hit.

If management resorts to this, they are extremely overrated

Regardless. Can’t justify that devastating 2nd year cap hit.

The 2nd year caphit doesn't matter. If they keep Shattenkirk they still have to have his caphit there. This is not about next year. It's about whether they want to deal with the 1.4 million cap hit the 2 years afterwards in exchange for getting under the cap this year.

Kreider

Namestnikov

Strome

The carry $11.73 million in cap hit. Find a way. Take a low return

They have value.

Get it done.

If they can move Namestnikov, that helps a ton. I honestly wouldn’t even mind if they bought him out. I agree that you can’t buy out Shattenkirk, his hit next year is gonna hurt. I would buy out Smith, and hope Shatty has a bounce back year where he can be moved at the deadline. I don’t think Smith has any value and is untradable, and for what Namestnikov has done here, his value is so low, I don’t think anyone would want him at that price.

Kreider

Namestnikov

Strome

The carry $11.73 million in cap hit. Find a way. Take a low return

They have value.

Get it done.

Taking a low return on Kreider is not good business. Better off keeping him and then trying again during the deadline. The other two are fine plus burying Smith.

Taking a low return on Kreider is not good business. Better off keeping him and then trying again during the deadline. The other two are fine plus burying Smith.

I get your point. I should clarify too. When I say low, I mean a little less. Not a bag of pucks.

I think we just value it differently

If he’s not in the plans, I’d rather they do it now and get it over with. It’s a distraction. And now they’re moving into trying to establish a new core, incorporate new players, and transition into being a winning team again. More so than last season.

I’d just rather they resolve it now, remove the distraction. Not have him as a lame duck.

If they wind up holding onto him, it’s fine. I just think they’d get more now than at the deadline. At least they should. A full season of him is worth more than 6 weeks of him.

I’d be cool with them moving Namestnikov and Strome, and then moving Kreider later. I just think it’s easier to move Kreider.

Smith getting buried or bought out is all but a certainty.

They aren’t buying out Staal. I don’t think they have the heart to do that. Next summer maybe. But not now.

Shatty too. Wait a year

I get your point. I should clarify too. When I say low, I mean a little less. Not a bag of pucks.

I think we just value it differently

If he’s not in the plans, I’d rather they do it now and get it over with. It’s a distraction. And now they’re moving into trying to establish a new core, incorporate new players, and transition into being a winning team again. More so than last season.

I’d just rather they resolve it now, remove the distraction. Not have him as a lame duck.

If they wind up holding onto him, it’s fine. I just think they’d get more now than at the deadline. At least they should. A full season of him is worth more than 6 weeks of him.

I’d be cool with them moving Namestnikov and Strome, and then moving Kreider later. I just think it’s easier to move Kreider.

Smith getting buried or bought out is all but a certainty.

They aren’t buying out Staal. I don’t think they have the heart to do that. Next summer maybe. But not now.

Shatty too. Wait a year

You keep saying he is not in the plans, but where are you getting this from. Horton has actually cone out and said the opposite. The only reason to move him is because of the cap, but no where has anyone said he isn’t a part of their plans nor has the team alluded to it.

If they can move Namestnikov, that helps a ton. I honestly wouldn’t even mind if they bought him out. I agree that you can’t buy out Shattenkirk, his hit next year is gonna hurt. I would buy out Smith, and hope Shatty has a bounce back year where he can be moved at the deadline. I don’t think Smith has any value and is untradable, and for what Namestnikov has done here, his value is so low, I don’t think anyone would want him at that price.

I disagree on Namestnikov. $4 million is a little high for him, but it’s an expiring contract, so in a year there’s no commitment. He responded very well to Quinn when he was in the doghouse and really embraced a more physical and defensively oriented role and did well in it. As for his offense, while he hasn’t done tons of that since coming here, their is offense there and we’ve seen him excel offensively with high end line mates

In the right spot, I think he could really help someone

You keep saying he is not in the plans, but where are you getting this from. Horton has actually cone out and said the opposite. The only reason to move him is because of the cap, but no where has anyone said he isn’t a part of their plans nor has the team alluded to it.

I’m getting it from the fact that he doesn’t have an extension yet, the fact that they’ve already attempted to deal him and have put him out there and the rampant speculation from multiple sources about him being out there and available.

Teams never out and out say that type of thing. They’ll say the opposite in fact because that’s what you do. Their actions thus far allude to them keeping him not being something their really down with.

What specifically has Gorton said that leads you to believe that he is in the plans? Cause they don’t have the money.

They tried to trade him at the draft. Colorado just wasn’t willing to trade 16 overall for him at that time. Teams are less willing to trade 1sts when they know the exact placement of the pick.

I love Kreider. And I think the organization likes him too

Just not enough to pay him what he likely wants in money and term.

It isn’t just the cap. It’s the idea of paying him what he’ll want and doing so till he’s 35-36.

You keep saying he is not in the plans, but where are you getting this from. Horton has actually cone out and said the opposite. The only reason to move him is because of the cap, but no where has anyone said he isn?t a part of their plans nor has the team alluded to it.

They tried to trade him at the draft. How's that for indication he's not part of their plans?

The reason you move him is because you're not going to resign him to a 7x7 contract or somewhere in that neighborhood. If they were considering that there's no way they try to flip him at the draft imo.

That being said, I'm starting to think they're struggling to find a buyer and it's quite possible they'll have to wait for the deadline.

They tried to trade him at the draft. How's that for indication he's not part of their plans?

The reason you move him is because you're not going to resign him to a 7x7 contract or somewhere in that neighborhood.

That being said, I think they haven't found a buyer and it's quite possible they'll have to wait for the deadline.

Thank you!

Glad someone else noticed.

You may be right. It might have to wait till February.

I never understand this though.

Both hockey and baseball which have these really active markets at the deadline. I never get it why GM’s don’t just pay extra to get a longer period with the player they acquire on their roster.

If you know the guy helps you, spend the assets and get the guy now

Regardless. Can?t justify that devastating 2nd year cap hit.

I don't think it's that black and white. I'm sure they're wanting to trade Shattenkirk. If it's true that literally no one wants him, even for free, then what else are they supposed to do?

In a summer where literally everything has gone perfectly, I think it's sounding a little spoiled to say management is "overrated" if a single thing doesn't go according to plan.

• Like 1

The reason you move him is because you're not going to resign him to a 7x7 contract or somewhere in that neighborhood. If they were considering that there's no way they try to flip him at the draft imo.

That being said, I'm starting to think they're struggling to find a buyer and it's quite possible they'll have to wait for the deadline.

So because he wasn?t moved at the draft, that means that no one wants him? What were the offers for him? And I guess we will ignore the fact that Gorton said they like him and want to keep him here.

So because he wasn’t moved at the draft, that means that no one wants him? What were the offers for him? And I guess we will ignore the fact that Gorton said they like him and want to keep him here.

Gorton has to say that dude.

What’s he going to say? “We don’t like him much. We aren’t intending to keep him.”

How would that help him get a good return?

How would that look to other players on the team or prospective players he’d like to add down the road?

How did everyone knowing that Trouba wasn’t going to stay in Winnipeg and that he wanted out help Winnipeg get a return?

There are plenty of teams that would want him. The Rangers just want a price for him. They may not have that price yet. Or they may have an offer they like, and they’re waiting cause maybe they feel they can do better.

People want him. Make no mistake. They just maybe can’t or won’t meet the price. Or they want to wait and see if something better comes along.