• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Kevin Shattenkirk Will Soon be Rangers Salary-Cap Casualty

Phil

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that buying out Staal doesn't save near enough money this year compared to Shattenkirk.

It also means your left side is Skjei and two rookies or you're keeping Smith.

Shatty saves you the most money and he has no role. It's a no-brainer except for the fact that he still would have a huge cap hit next year.

It also means your left side is Skjei and two rookies or you're keeping Smith.

Shatty saves you the most money and he has no role. It's a no-brainer except for the fact that he still would have a huge cap hit next year.

For me, it's a huge NO-brainer because of his cap hit next season. That's a horrible move.

There has always been conflicting info out there as to whether Staal's NMC is full (ESPN and Brooks have previously reported that it is partial in the last two or three years). In any event, someone might be willing to take him with retention at the deadline this year, and he might be willing to do it, if necessary.

GMs aren't stupid. Waiting for the rangers to buy out Shitenkirk and then sign him for cheap. why trade and lose assets?

He might not sign with a team like Buffalo. But if he knows he's getting bought out, he might decide he's willing to play there for 2 years to get his money.

He might not sign with a team like Buffalo. But if he knows he's getting bought out, he might decide he's willing to play there for 2 years to get his money.
He gets his money either way, no? Why not get bought out and maybe have a better option for less money per year but it will be on top of his buyout. It's summer and I'm probably missing something.

if he gets bought out he gets all the money owed, right? then he can sign with the highest bidder cause its all gravy. I wish I was an NHLer who got bought out

He gets his money either way, no? Why not get bought out and maybe have a better option for less money per year but it will be on top of his buyout. It's summer and I'm probably missing something.

if he gets bought out he gets all the money owed, right? then he can sign with the highest bidder cause its all gravy. I wish I was an NHLer who got bought out

I was under the impression it's 66% of the remaining salary.

I thought It was 100% or close to it
Just for clarity. Josh is talking about how they arrive at a buyout figure and you're talking about how much of the buyout money they get wether they sign with another team or not? Or I could just be a stupid ass who can't concentrate for more then 20 seconds.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/06/15/nhl-buyout-period-calculator-penguins-faq-tlh/

A buyout allows the team to greatly reduce the salary cap hit of a player, but the period of time in which a player's contract remains on the books after a buyout is increased. The percentage of salary a team is still responsible for after a buyout depends on the player's age at the time of the buyout.

HOW IS THE IMPACT OF A BUYOUT CALCULATED?

If a player is older than 26, the team is still responsible for two-thirds of the remaining salary. If a player is younger than 26, the team is only responsible for one-third. Full signing bonuses are still paid out in any case.

To be clear: That is salary. Straight cash. Not the salary cap hit. That's calculated differently.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq

Teams are permitted to buyout a players contract to obtain a reduced salary cap hit over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The buyout amount is a function of the players age at the time of the buyout, and are as follows:

1/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is younger than 26 at the time of the buyout

2/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is 26 or older at the time of the buyout

As explained above, the buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The team still takes a caphit, and the caphit by year is calculated as follows:

Does anyone think Kreider might get traded?

im thinking they do nothing with him. let him step it up in a contract year. if the team is not playoff bound, flip him at the deadline. if they are let him be a part of the run.

if you lose him for nothing, wtf... if panarin and tavares were let go for free, what are you really going to gain in a kreider trade.