Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 127

Thread: Why Kevin Shattenkirk Will Soon be Rangers Salary-Cap Casualty

  1. #1
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,054
    Rep Power
    473

    Why Kevin Shattenkirk Will Soon be Rangers Salary-Cap Casualty

    The Rangers have made two trades this offseason and both were for right-hand defensemen who play the power play. So what does that tell you about Kevin Shattenkirk’s future on Broadway?

    That, plus the cap fix into which management willingly leaped by signing Artemi Panarin and Jacob Trouba for a combined $19.654 million-plus, tells me Shattenkirk’s tenure as Blueshirt will be over by the close of the team’s second buyout window Wednesday at 5 p.m.
    And because the Rangers are a projected $4.155 million over the cap with a 23-man shadow roster — which assumes Brendan Smith and Matt Beleskey will be in AHL Hartford; entry-level freshmen Kaapo Kakko, Vitali Kravtsov, Adam Fox and Libor Hajek will start in New York; and yet unsigned restricted free agents Tony DeAngelo and Brendan Lemieux will play for their respective one-year, $874,125 qualifiers because they won’t have any other choice if they want to skate in the NHL this season — buying out Shattenkirk’s $6.65 million hit should be an open-and-shut case.

    The move would clear $5.17 million of space for this season — which would give the Rangers a little over $1.1 million with which to maneuver, pending further transactions. Yes, the buyout of the 30-year-old defenseman, whose 2017 training camp injury has all but fatally compromised his game, would burden the club with $1.43 million in dead space for 2021-22 and 2022-23. And yes, adding dead space down the road is generally bad business for a rebuilding operation, but you know what is much, much worse business?

    Trading one of your best players in order to comply with the cap while keeping a guy who probably wouldn’t dress every night and whose role would be limited when he did. That’s what.
    If Shattenkirk is still a Ranger at 5:01 Wednesday evening, I will be very, very surprised.
    https://nypost.com/2019/07/27/why-ke...-cap-casualty/
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    701
    Rep Power
    18
    That 1.43 dead space was for Smith if he was bought out. He neglected to mention the huge dead space for Shatty in 20'-'21.
    Last edited by CBrowningPI; 07-27-2019 at 07:19 PM.

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,251
    Rep Power
    347
    Wrong move, imo
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Wrong move, imo
    Yup

    They’re going to regret that dead space when they have to deal with it

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,104
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Wrong move, imo
    We don't know the trade market. It might be the only move they can make.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,733
    Rep Power
    134
    No buyout. You can get rid of him.
    GORTON 2020

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,613
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    No buyout. You can get rid of him.
    How can you possibly say that? If it’s possible to move them for literally nothing in return they would. It makes no sense not to if you’re going to buy him out anyway. Saying you can move them is nice but rooted in fantasy if they don’t. Because if they don’t its because they can’t find a taker.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    1
    Buyouts at this stage of the build are a bad move. I would rather take 80 cents on the dollar for Kreider now.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    Kreider
    Namestnikov
    Strome

    The carry $11.73 million in cap hit. Find a way. Take a low return
    They have value.
    Get it done.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    23
    Everyone knows the Rangers' hand is being forced by the Wednesday deadline, so I can't see anyone trading for him even with retention when they know he will be available to sign on Thursday, probably for less. Yes, as mentioned above, Larry failed to mention that the big cap hit with a buyout will be in 20-21, the year when they can least afford it. As painful as whatever moves await us now, the more painful ones will take place a year from now. If Hank and Staal's contracts were just one year shorter, we'd be in a considerably better position.

  11. #11
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,251
    Rep Power
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    We don't know the trade market. It might be the only move they can make.
    Regardless. Can’t justify that devastating 2nd year cap hit.

    If management resorts to this, they are extremely overrated
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,104
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Regardless. Can’t justify that devastating 2nd year cap hit.

    If management resorts to this, they are extremely overrated
    The 2nd year caphit doesn't matter. If they keep Shattenkirk they still have to have his caphit there. This is not about next year. It's about whether they want to deal with the 1.4 million cap hit the 2 years afterwards in exchange for getting under the cap this year.

  13. #13
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,793
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Kreider
    Namestnikov
    Strome

    The carry $11.73 million in cap hit. Find a way. Take a low return
    They have value.
    Get it done.
    If they can move Namestnikov, that helps a ton. I honestly wouldn’t even mind if they bought him out. I agree that you can’t buy out Shattenkirk, his hit next year is gonna hurt. I would buy out Smith, and hope Shatty has a bounce back year where he can be moved at the deadline. I don’t think Smith has any value and is untradable, and for what Namestnikov has done here, his value is so low, I don’t think anyone would want him at that price.

  14. #14
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Shane Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    12,453
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Kreider
    Namestnikov
    Strome

    The carry $11.73 million in cap hit. Find a way. Take a low return
    They have value.
    Get it done.
    Taking a low return on Kreider is not good business. Better off keeping him and then trying again during the deadline. The other two are fine plus burying Smith.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    Taking a low return on Kreider is not good business. Better off keeping him and then trying again during the deadline. The other two are fine plus burying Smith.
    I get your point. I should clarify too. When I say low, I mean a little less. Not a bag of pucks.
    I think we just value it differently

    If he’s not in the plans, I’d rather they do it now and get it over with. It’s a distraction. And now they’re moving into trying to establish a new core, incorporate new players, and transition into being a winning team again. More so than last season.
    I’d just rather they resolve it now, remove the distraction. Not have him as a lame duck.

    If they wind up holding onto him, it’s fine. I just think they’d get more now than at the deadline. At least they should. A full season of him is worth more than 6 weeks of him.
    I’d be cool with them moving Namestnikov and Strome, and then moving Kreider later. I just think it’s easier to move Kreider.

    Smith getting buried or bought out is all but a certainty.

    They aren’t buying out Staal. I don’t think they have the heart to do that. Next summer maybe. But not now.
    Shatty too. Wait a year

  16. #16
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,793
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    I get your point. I should clarify too. When I say low, I mean a little less. Not a bag of pucks.
    I think we just value it differently

    If he’s not in the plans, I’d rather they do it now and get it over with. It’s a distraction. And now they’re moving into trying to establish a new core, incorporate new players, and transition into being a winning team again. More so than last season.
    I’d just rather they resolve it now, remove the distraction. Not have him as a lame duck.

    If they wind up holding onto him, it’s fine. I just think they’d get more now than at the deadline. At least they should. A full season of him is worth more than 6 weeks of him.
    I’d be cool with them moving Namestnikov and Strome, and then moving Kreider later. I just think it’s easier to move Kreider.

    Smith getting buried or bought out is all but a certainty.

    They aren’t buying out Staal. I don’t think they have the heart to do that. Next summer maybe. But not now.
    Shatty too. Wait a year
    You keep saying he is not in the plans, but where are you getting this from. Horton has actually cone out and said the opposite. The only reason to move him is because of the cap, but no where has anyone said he isn’t a part of their plans nor has the team alluded to it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    If they can move Namestnikov, that helps a ton. I honestly wouldn’t even mind if they bought him out. I agree that you can’t buy out Shattenkirk, his hit next year is gonna hurt. I would buy out Smith, and hope Shatty has a bounce back year where he can be moved at the deadline. I don’t think Smith has any value and is untradable, and for what Namestnikov has done here, his value is so low, I don’t think anyone would want him at that price.

    I disagree on Namestnikov. $4 million is a little high for him, but it’s an expiring contract, so in a year there’s no commitment. He responded very well to Quinn when he was in the doghouse and really embraced a more physical and defensively oriented role and did well in it. As for his offense, while he hasn’t done tons of that since coming here, their is offense there and we’ve seen him excel offensively with high end line mates

    In the right spot, I think he could really help someone

  18. #18
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    You keep saying he is not in the plans, but where are you getting this from. Horton has actually cone out and said the opposite. The only reason to move him is because of the cap, but no where has anyone said he isn’t a part of their plans nor has the team alluded to it.
    I’m getting it from the fact that he doesn’t have an extension yet, the fact that they’ve already attempted to deal him and have put him out there and the rampant speculation from multiple sources about him being out there and available.
    Teams never out and out say that type of thing. They’ll say the opposite in fact because that’s what you do. Their actions thus far allude to them keeping him not being something their really down with.

    What specifically has Gorton said that leads you to believe that he is in the plans? Cause they don’t have the money.
    They tried to trade him at the draft. Colorado just wasn’t willing to trade 16 overall for him at that time. Teams are less willing to trade 1sts when they know the exact placement of the pick.

    I love Kreider. And I think the organization likes him too
    Just not enough to pay him what he likely wants in money and term.
    It isn’t just the cap. It’s the idea of paying him what he’ll want and doing so till he’s 35-36.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,783
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    You keep saying he is not in the plans, but where are you getting this from. Horton has actually cone out and said the opposite. The only reason to move him is because of the cap, but no where has anyone said he isnít a part of their plans nor has the team alluded to it.
    They tried to trade him at the draft. How's that for indication he's not part of their plans?
    The reason you move him is because you're not going to resign him to a 7x7 contract or somewhere in that neighborhood. If they were considering that there's no way they try to flip him at the draft imo.
    That being said, I'm starting to think they're struggling to find a buyer and it's quite possible they'll have to wait for the deadline.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    They tried to trade him at the draft. How's that for indication he's not part of their plans?
    The reason you move him is because you're not going to resign him to a 7x7 contract or somewhere in that neighborhood.
    That being said, I think they haven't found a buyer and it's quite possible they'll have to wait for the deadline.
    Thank you!
    Glad someone else noticed.

    You may be right. It might have to wait till February.

    I never understand this though.
    Both hockey and baseball which have these really active markets at the deadline. I never get it why GM’s don’t just pay extra to get a longer period with the player they acquire on their roster.
    If you know the guy helps you, spend the assets and get the guy now

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •