• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Pavel Buchnevich to 2-Year/$6.5M Extension; $3.25M AAV

Phil

I don't think it's a lock that Kreider is traded. I think Namestnikov, Smith, Shatty will make room.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around why they would jump into 4 years or dead cap, especially on multiple contracts, if there are other options

Shatty being traded would suck considering the whole hometown discount thing and we'd probably have to retain salary.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Took a hometown discount and still overpaid by 4m. Why should we care about him taking a discount when he?s been playing like shit?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The chances of buyouts of Shatty and/or Smith in the next few days are strong. If they haven't been able to deal Shatty up to now, they probably won't want to chance not being able to get rid of him after the buy out period ends. Buying out Smith doesn't really put them in a better net position than burying him in Hartford. Kreider appears doomed, to be shipped somewhere for a maddeningly small return before October 3rd. Signing him to a new contract means a $7m cap charge hitting the books during the worst cap year, 20-21, while Hank and Staal are still on the books. They would really have to make some unsavory moves at that point if they were to extend Kreider.

The chances of buyouts of Shatty and/or Smith in the next few days are strong. If they haven't been able to deal Shatty up to now, they probably won't want to chance not being able to get rid of him after the buy out period ends. Buying out Smith doesn't really put them in a better net position than burying him in Hartford. Kreider appears doomed, to be shipped somewhere for a maddeningly small return before October 3rd. Signing him to a new contract means a $7m cap charge hitting the books during the worst cap year, 20-21, while Hank and Staal are still on the books. They would really have to make some unsavory moves at that point if they were to extend Kreider.

I’m think you’re right and someone gets bought out. But I think it’s a mistake.

Good enough. Still would have preferred a 4-5 year length but this is fine.

Lemieux and DeAngelo about to be hardballed I presume.

I like the kid too, but he hasn’t earned that kind of commitment yet

And yes. The other two are getting squeezed. No leverage

I dislike the "show me" bridge deals in today's NHL. In general, when you're talking about signing younger players, you're just opening yourself up for much higher exposure in two years if the player becomes, ideally, what you want them to be. It virtually guarantees that you'll have to pay the guy market value just when they're hitting their stride.

I get why it makes sense here, but I'm still opposed to the concept. I would've preferred 4-5 years to be honest.

That being said, is anyone else interested in seeing what this kid can do on a line with Panarin and Zibanejad?

I dislike the "show me" bridge deals in today's NHL. In general, when you're talking about signing younger players, you're just opening yourself up for much higher exposure in two years if the player becomes, ideally, what you want them to be. It virtually guarantees that you'll have to pay the guy market value just when they're hitting their stride.

I get why it makes sense here, but I'm still opposed to the concept. I would've preferred 4-5 years to be honest.

That being said, is anyone else interested in seeing what this kid can do on a line with Panarin and Zibanejad?

I get that

But I’d rather pay market value when a guy has earned it vs locking into 4-5 seasons at what you perceive is a discount longer term and being wrong

I think they nailed this one, he got what he's worth on $$ and term. No way he deserved a long term deal. Now squeeze ADA out the door :)

Lemieux is going to and should be squeezed as well. He plays hard and is a grinder probably a fourth line player on a really good team. He brought excitement to a door mat team but no reason to over pay or over commit to him at this time.

Who replaces the grit factor though? Andersson? What can we get for Lemieux?

I think they nailed this one, he got what he's worth on $$ and term. No way he deserved a long term deal. Now squeeze ADA out the door :)

Lemieux is going to and should be squeezed as well. He plays hard and is a grinder probably a fourth line player on a really good team. He brought excitement to a door mat team but no reason to over pay or over commit to him at this time.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk