Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign Pavel Buchnevich to 2-Year/$6.5M Extension; $3.25M AAV

  1. #21
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    I dislike the "show me" bridge deals in today's NHL. In general, when you're talking about signing younger players, you're just opening yourself up for much higher exposure in two years if the player becomes, ideally, what you want them to be. It virtually guarantees that you'll have to pay the guy market value just when they're hitting their stride.

    I get why it makes sense here, but I'm still opposed to the concept. I would've preferred 4-5 years to be honest.

    That being said, is anyone else interested in seeing what this kid can do on a line with Panarin and Zibanejad?
    I get that
    But I’d rather pay market value when a guy has earned it vs locking into 4-5 seasons at what you perceive is a discount longer term and being wrong

  2. #22
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,402
    Rep Power
    349
    Buchnevich hasn’t earned money. He can have a long term deal, but it’s goinf to be at $2m per.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #23
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    30
    I think they nailed this one, he got what he's worth on $$ and term. No way he deserved a long term deal. Now squeeze ADA out the door

    Lemieux is going to and should be squeezed as well. He plays hard and is a grinder probably a fourth line player on a really good team. He brought excitement to a door mat team but no reason to over pay or over commit to him at this time.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,501
    Rep Power
    17
    Who replaces the grit factor though? Andersson? What can we get for Lemieux?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    I think they nailed this one, he got what he's worth on $$ and term. No way he deserved a long term deal. Now squeeze ADA out the door

    Lemieux is going to and should be squeezed as well. He plays hard and is a grinder probably a fourth line player on a really good team. He brought excitement to a door mat team but no reason to over pay or over commit to him at this time.
    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,666
    Rep Power
    54
    Just a hunch, and maybe a bad one at that, but I can see Buch giving us 30 goals (28 or 29 sounds better.) Hoping that with the recent Russian invasion, Buch steps up. I know, hope can be a fleeting notion but you gotta' have it as a NYR fan.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    734
    Rep Power
    19
    Who came up with "The Sullen Russian" ? Was it Ozzy or Dunny? Loved that one.
    How would you guys describe the type of player Buch is? I have a hard time thinking about what it is he does particularly well.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Buchnevich hasn’t earned money. He can have a long term deal, but it’s goinf to be at $2m per.
    I don’t think he’s really earned long-term, fully guaranteed paydays either.

    I don’t have a problem with these guys earning tons of money.
    It’s a very small number of jobs they’re competing for, especially the top earning jobs.

    But part of the flip side of the coin is, amongst other things, that you need to be worthy of not only the big dollars but also the security of years of paydays.

    I don’t feel he’s done that yet.

    The deal they gave him is perfect. He’s 23, a millionaire, plays for the NY Rangers and does so at an exciting time. And he has an opportunity to set himself very well if he plays well over the next 2 years. Nothing for anyone to bitch about
    Last edited by RangersIn7; 07-27-2019 at 03:30 PM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,188
    Rep Power
    77
    Re: Buch

    You don't invest in stock for what it's worth today.

  9. #29
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,826
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Perfect bridge number for him.

    Bye bye Chris Kreider
    This seals the deal on him I think

    Only question is what they can snag in return
    I don't think they have to trade Kreider. Right now, moving a forward isn't an issue, they need room on defense. Buy out Smith definitely, move D'Angelo, he isn't needed here anymore. Im on the fence on a buyout with Shatty only because of what he is going to cost next year. With him, you have to hope he has a better year next year and can be moved by the deadline with a year left on that contract. Moving Kreider is hard because now we finally have secondary scoring, and I don't want to lose what he brings to the team, its hard finding a player who can play like he can.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    734
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I don't think they have to trade Kreider. Right now, moving a forward isn't an issue, they need room on defense. Buy out Smith definitely, move D'Angelo, he isn't needed here anymore. Im on the fence on a buyout with Shatty only because of what he is going to cost next year. With him, you have to hope he has a better year next year and can be moved by the deadline with a year left on that contract. Moving Kreider is hard because now we finally have secondary scoring, and I don't want to lose what he brings to the team, its hard finding a player who can play like he can.
    This summed up how I'm thinking as well. Except I like D'Angelo and would prefer to keep him if possible.
    Last edited by CBrowningPI; 07-27-2019 at 04:11 PM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I don't think they have to trade Kreider. Right now, moving a forward isn't an issue, they need room on defense. Buy out Smith definitely, move D'Angelo, he isn't needed here anymore. Im on the fence on a buyout with Shatty only because of what he is going to cost next year. With him, you have to hope he has a better year next year and can be moved by the deadline with a year left on that contract. Moving Kreider is hard because now we finally have secondary scoring, and I don't want to lose what he brings to the team, its hard finding a player who can play like he can.
    They don’t HAVE to trade him. I agree with that. Given the buyout possibilities, they do have other options. I’m just not in favor of it, and I still think trading Kreider makes the most sense.

    While it can’t be said that they’ve completely made up their mind on him, I’m of the belief that they don’t want to pay him and they’re just looking for a deal that they like. Eventually I believe that they will get one they like and he’ll be gone. If that’s the case, it’s the most sensible option: Trade the asset cause he’s not in your plans after another year. That’s way more sensible than buying out guys, taking huge hits on them in dead space next season and carrying that space for 4 seasons when you’re not likely to win a Cup next year and you can buy them out with MUCH less in consequences in 10 1/2 months.
    It doesn’t hurt them to carry those guys for another year.
    Everyone is worried about cap implications yet they seem to be ignoring that one.

    One buyout now, I suppose I could live with it, but not 2.
    Last edited by RangersIn7; 07-27-2019 at 04:50 PM.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Re: Buch

    You don't invest in stock for what it's worth today.

    That’s true.
    But has he shown enough to make you really sure that he’ll be worth so much more down the road?

    It’s not a stock.
    It’s a hockey player in a capped sport who had a really nice stretch of 20 games to close the season after spending the other 60 games either underperforming, in the doghouse, or nursing an injury.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,810
    Rep Power
    71
    "DeAngelo isn't needed here anymore" is total bullshit. He was their best defenseman last season by most metrics you care to look at and still has tremendous upside. A .5 ppg defenseman whilst in the doghouse half the time and an elite zone exit player. I really don't understand why he's not getting any credit in here whatsoever.
    I mean, the maturity thing is an issue, but he's not even close to being one of the guys the Rangers should try to ship off at this point.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,188
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    That’s true.
    But has he shown enough to make you really sure that he’ll be worth so much more down the road?

    It’s not a stock.
    It’s a hockey player in a capped sport who had a really nice stretch of 20 games to close the season after spending the other 60 games either underperforming, in the doghouse, or nursing an injury.
    It was more like 40 games of improved play and production, but I understand your point.

    It is the same logic as stock though. You don't draft 17 year old kids for what they are on draft day. You draft them for what they will be in a few years. You don't sign RFAs to long term deals for what they are currently. You sign them to long term deals for what you project them to be for the long haul.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    It was more like 40 games of improved play and production, but I understand your point.

    It is the same logic as stock though. You don't draft 17 year old kids for what they are on draft day. You draft them for what they will be in a few years. You don't sign RFAs to long term deals for what they are currently. You sign them to long term deals for what you project them to be for the long haul.
    I don’t know that he had 40 games where he was better than he’s been over the past. But he has improved.

    It’s not exactly the same as stocks. There’s a limit here. Into how many players you can have under contract, and on your roster, and to how much you can spend.
    And also when you spend On an RFA, you usually want to see them hit that ceiling somewhatl first and do so for a good sampling. Buch hasn’t done that. Not enough yet.
    He’s hard to predict is what I’m saying.
    Was his production the reality or an anomaly ?

  16. #36
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,371
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    I think they nailed this one, he got what he's worth on $$ and term. No way he deserved a long term deal. Now squeeze ADA out the door

    Lemieux is going to and should be squeezed as well. He plays hard and is a grinder probably a fourth line player on a really good team. He brought excitement to a door mat team but no reason to over pay or over commit to him at this time.
    Huh? What? Why? Gotta bring ADA back. I really think this kid needs to be left alone and let him do his thing. With top 6 minutes and tons off PP time, there's no reason why he can't hit 35-40 points.

    Lemieux is a much needed physical and somewhat veteran presence. Can't ice a team of rookies. And what's he going to get where you would have to squeeze him? Is he getting over 2 mill???

    No reason to squeeze these guys. It's not like they are busting the bank.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Huh? What? Why? Gotta bring ADA back. I really think this kid needs to be left alone and let him do his thing. With top 6 minutes and tons off PP time, there's no reason why he can't hit 35-40 points.

    Lemieux is a much needed physical and somewhat veteran presence. Can't ice a team of rookies. And what's he going to get where you would have to squeeze him? Is he getting over 2 mill???

    No reason to squeeze these guys. It's not like they are busting the bank.
    they're more than likely gonna be squeezed because they can be, that's how the cap system works more often than not especially for bottom six type guys. As Brooks pointed out they either accept their qualifying offers of $874k or they don't play in the NHL this season that's the hammer the team has at this point . We disagree on tthe value of ADA so be it.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 07-28-2019 at 10:02 AM.

  18. #38
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,402
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Re: Buch

    You don't invest in stock for what it's worth today.
    No investor would invest in Buchnevich based on the performance of his stock over his nhl tenure. He’s a penny stock. Buy for a week and sell.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  19. #39
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,188
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    No investor would invest in Buchnevich based on the performance of his stock over his nhl tenure. He’s a penny stock. Buy for a week and sell.
    A 20 goal scorer on a garbage team isn't the equivalent of a penny stock.

  20. #40
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,826
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    "DeAngelo isn't needed here anymore" is total bullshit. He was their best defenseman last season by most metrics you care to look at and still has tremendous upside. A .5 ppg defenseman whilst in the doghouse half the time and an elite zone exit player. I really don't understand why he's not getting any credit in here whatsoever.
    I mean, the maturity thing is an issue, but he's not even close to being one of the guys the Rangers should try to ship off at this point.
    It’s not bullshit. They just brought in Trouba and Fox, plus they have some good defense prospects ready to step in. Even if they can buy out Smith, there really is no room for him on this roster. His defensive play still lacks a lot as well. He hasn’t been able to crack the lineup steadily since he came here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •