• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Pavel Buchnevich to 2-Year/$6.5M Extension; $3.25M AAV

Phil

Buchnevich hasn’t earned money. He can have a long term deal, but it’s goinf to be at $2m per.

I don’t think he’s really earned long-term, fully guaranteed paydays either.

I don’t have a problem with these guys earning tons of money.

It’s a very small number of jobs they’re competing for, especially the top earning jobs.

But part of the flip side of the coin is, amongst other things, that you need to be worthy of not only the big dollars but also the security of years of paydays.

I don’t feel he’s done that yet.

The deal they gave him is perfect. He’s 23, a millionaire, plays for the NY Rangers and does so at an exciting time. And he has an opportunity to set himself very well if he plays well over the next 2 years. Nothing for anyone to bitch about

Perfect bridge number for him.

Bye bye Chris Kreider

This seals the deal on him I think

Only question is what they can snag in return

I don't think they have to trade Kreider. Right now, moving a forward isn't an issue, they need room on defense. Buy out Smith definitely, move D'Angelo, he isn't needed here anymore. Im on the fence on a buyout with Shatty only because of what he is going to cost next year. With him, you have to hope he has a better year next year and can be moved by the deadline with a year left on that contract. Moving Kreider is hard because now we finally have secondary scoring, and I don't want to lose what he brings to the team, its hard finding a player who can play like he can.

I don't think they have to trade Kreider. Right now, moving a forward isn't an issue, they need room on defense. Buy out Smith definitely, move D'Angelo, he isn't needed here anymore. Im on the fence on a buyout with Shatty only because of what he is going to cost next year. With him, you have to hope he has a better year next year and can be moved by the deadline with a year left on that contract. Moving Kreider is hard because now we finally have secondary scoring, and I don't want to lose what he brings to the team, its hard finding a player who can play like he can.
This summed up how I'm thinking as well. Except I like D'Angelo and would prefer to keep him if possible.

They don’t HAVE to trade him. I agree with that. Given the buyout possibilities, they do have other options. I’m just not in favor of it, and I still think trading Kreider makes the most sense.

While it can’t be said that they’ve completely made up their mind on him, I’m of the belief that they don’t want to pay him and they’re just looking for a deal that they like. Eventually I believe that they will get one they like and he’ll be gone. If that’s the case, it’s the most sensible option: Trade the asset cause he’s not in your plans after another year. That’s way more sensible than buying out guys, taking huge hits on them in dead space next season and carrying that space for 4 seasons when you’re not likely to win a Cup next year and you can buy them out with MUCH less in consequences in 10 1/2 months.

It doesn’t hurt them to carry those guys for another year.

Everyone is worried about cap implications yet they seem to be ignoring that one.

One buyout now, I suppose I could live with it, but not 2.

Re: Buch

You don't invest in stock for what it's worth today.

That’s true.

But has he shown enough to make you really sure that he’ll be worth so much more down the road?

It’s not a stock.

It’s a hockey player in a capped sport who had a really nice stretch of 20 games to close the season after spending the other 60 games either underperforming, in the doghouse, or nursing an injury.

"DeAngelo isn't needed here anymore" is total bullshit. He was their best defenseman last season by most metrics you care to look at and still has tremendous upside. A .5 ppg defenseman whilst in the doghouse half the time and an elite zone exit player. I really don't understand why he's not getting any credit in here whatsoever.

I mean, the maturity thing is an issue, but he's not even close to being one of the guys the Rangers should try to ship off at this point.

• Like 1

That’s true.

But has he shown enough to make you really sure that he’ll be worth so much more down the road?

It’s not a stock.

It’s a hockey player in a capped sport who had a really nice stretch of 20 games to close the season after spending the other 60 games either underperforming, in the doghouse, or nursing an injury.

It was more like 40 games of improved play and production, but I understand your point.

It is the same logic as stock though. You don't draft 17 year old kids for what they are on draft day. You draft them for what they will be in a few years. You don't sign RFAs to long term deals for what they are currently. You sign them to long term deals for what you project them to be for the long haul.

It was more like 40 games of improved play and production, but I understand your point.

It is the same logic as stock though. You don't draft 17 year old kids for what they are on draft day. You draft them for what they will be in a few years. You don't sign RFAs to long term deals for what they are currently. You sign them to long term deals for what you project them to be for the long haul.

I don’t know that he had 40 games where he was better than he’s been over the past. But he has improved.

It’s not exactly the same as stocks. There’s a limit here. Into how many players you can have under contract, and on your roster, and to how much you can spend.

And also when you spend On an RFA, you usually want to see them hit that ceiling somewhatl first and do so for a good sampling. Buch hasn’t done that. Not enough yet.

He’s hard to predict is what I’m saying.

Was his production the reality or an anomaly ?

I think they nailed this one, he got what he's worth on $$ and term. No way he deserved a long term deal. Now squeeze ADA out the door :)

Lemieux is going to and should be squeezed as well. He plays hard and is a grinder probably a fourth line player on a really good team. He brought excitement to a door mat team but no reason to over pay or over commit to him at this time.

Huh? What? Why? Gotta bring ADA back. I really think this kid needs to be left alone and let him do his thing. With top 6 minutes and tons off PP time, there's no reason why he can't hit 35-40 points.

Lemieux is a much needed physical and somewhat veteran presence. Can't ice a team of rookies. And what's he going to get where you would have to squeeze him? Is he getting over 2 mill???

No reason to squeeze these guys. It's not like they are busting the bank.

Huh? What? Why? Gotta bring ADA back. I really think this kid needs to be left alone and let him do his thing. With top 6 minutes and tons off PP time, there's no reason why he can't hit 35-40 points.

Lemieux is a much needed physical and somewhat veteran presence. Can't ice a team of rookies. And what's he going to get where you would have to squeeze him? Is he getting over 2 mill???

No reason to squeeze these guys. It's not like they are busting the bank.

they're more than likely gonna be squeezed because they can be, that's how the cap system works more often than not especially for bottom six type guys. As Brooks pointed out they either accept their qualifying offers of $874k or they don't play in the NHL this season that's the hammer the team has at this point . We disagree on tthe value of ADA so be it.

Re: Buch

You don't invest in stock for what it's worth today.

No investor would invest in Buchnevich based on the performance of his stock over his nhl tenure. He’s a penny stock. Buy for a week and sell.

"DeAngelo isn't needed here anymore" is total bullshit. He was their best defenseman last season by most metrics you care to look at and still has tremendous upside. A .5 ppg defenseman whilst in the doghouse half the time and an elite zone exit player. I really don't understand why he's not getting any credit in here whatsoever.

I mean, the maturity thing is an issue, but he's not even close to being one of the guys the Rangers should try to ship off at this point.

It’s not bullshit. They just brought in Trouba and Fox, plus they have some good defense prospects ready to step in. Even if they can buy out Smith, there really is no room for him on this roster. His defensive play still lacks a lot as well. He hasn’t been able to crack the lineup steadily since he came here.

So why would you move ADA and not Shattenkirk?
It?s not bullshit. They just brought in Trouba and Fox, plus they have some good defense prospects ready to step in. Even if they can buy out Smith, there really is no room for him on this roster. His defensive play still lacks a lot as well. He hasn?t been able to crack the lineup steadily since he came here.

It?s not bullshit. They just brought in Trouba and Fox, plus they have some good defense prospects ready to step in. Even if they can buy out Smith, there really is no room for him on this roster. His defensive play still lacks a lot as well. He hasn?t been able to crack the lineup steadily since he came here.

Of course it?s bullshit. For example:

As a waiver-eligible player in October, DeAngelo had no choice but to finally make his skill matter. He did. On the ice, DeAngelo was not only the Rangers? best defenseman but one of the better defensemen in the entire NHL. He registered four goals and 26 assists in 61 games. That?s especially incredible production given that:

1. The Rangers were a poor offensive team overall.

2. He did not start the season always playing a lot of minutes or earning time on the top PP unit.

DeAngelo showed why he has been an elite offensive defenseman at every level. He skates well. His vision is absolutely incredible. He walks the blue line well. He?s adept at getting pucks through from the point and there?s some mustard on his own shooting attempts. He also cleaned up his defensive zone play. Did he make mistakes sometimes? Yes. Did it piss off Quinn? Yes. But he improved enough to the point that his offensive contributions outweighed the defensive deficiencies. Per Evolving Hockey, DeAngelo finished 47th out of all NHL defensemen by Goals Above Replacement. That staunchly puts him among top-pairing defensemen, and he did it despite not playing 21 games! In a full season, how high does he finish? Top-15? Top-10?

He may become expendable if Fox pans out the way we hope. But there?s 100% a need for him this season and to move him now would be incredibly stupid. You might want to let Fox play a couple of games in the NHL before deciding a very good, young and cheap defenseman is surplus to requirements.

Of course it’s bullshit. For example:

He may become expendable if Fox pans out the way we hope. But there’s 100% a need for him this season and to move him now would be incredibly stupid. You might want to let Fox play a couple of games in the NHL before deciding a very good, young and cheap defenseman is surplus to requirements.

Again, it’s not bullshit. First off, who is the article from? Secondly, if you think he is a top pairing defensemen, then we are far off on how we feel he will be. He is terrible in his own zone. People bitched about Pionk’s play, and he out played ADA, and that’s proven by the fact that Pionk earned more playing time and was a regular over ADA. I don’t care about Corsi or any of those stats, I care more about his play, which I have watched, and he is far from a top pairing defensemen.

Again, it’s not bullshit. First off, who is the article from? Secondly, if you think he is a top pairing defensemen, then we are far off on how we feel he will be. He is terrible in his own zone. People bitched about Pionk’s play, and he out played ADA, and that’s proven by the fact that Pionk earned more playing time and was a regular over ADA. I don’t care about Corsi or any of those stats, I care more about his play, which I have watched, and he is far from a top pairing defensemen.

Ok, we’re definitely done here.

The article: http://https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/7/25/20708179/blueshirt-banter-2019-new-york-rangers-prospect-rankings-top-24-under-24-chytil-deangelo-andersson

Who came up with "The Sullen Russian" ? Was it Ozzy or Dunny? Loved that one.

How would you guys describe the type of player Buch is? I have a hard time thinking about what it is he does particularly well.

It was Dunny, Brownie! :rofl:

I got a kick outta that one too!!

This is a good bridge to see what this kid can do, and also if he's gonna be able to make it with the team structure going forward. I just hope his new millions can buy a lot of crying towels for the bench! LOL