Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 187

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

  1. #21
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    23
    At least we can ditch him, including a trade to Ottawa, if we don't feel right about this after a year. That's an escape hatch that would have come in handy with a lot of our other big contracts.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,093
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    At least we can ditch him, including a trade to Ottawa, if we don't feel right about this after a year. That's an escape hatch that would have come in handy with a lot of our other big contracts.
    If the Rangers want to get rid of him after a year, then it means he didn't really live up to expectations. If he didn't live up to expectations, I'd have a hard time believing that contract is getting moved. So that no protection the first year kind of confuses me.

  3. #23
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,703
    Rep Power
    323
    Why would you give up two good assets, only to buy out and arb year and STILL pay top bean *and* hand out a NMC to.. Jacob Trouba.

    I don't get it. I don't see much value here. This isn't the guy I'm building a defense around, and at that price, that's exactly the case. Why not bridge him?

  4. #24
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Rep Power
    33
    3rd most points by a D under 25 with lesser PP time than most of the others. Signing him for his entire prime years (25-32). 7,5 or 8m, dont really care. We signed a really good player for a long time (the 2nd one this off-season), I dont really understand how people can complain about this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,703
    Rep Power
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    3rd most points by a D under 25 with lesser PP time than most of the others. Signing him for his entire prime years (25-32). 7,5 or 8m, dont really care. We signed a really good player for a long time (the 2nd one this off-season), I dont really understand how people can complain about this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    You're giving Trouba 20% more money than Morgan Reilly, who is 10 times the player.

  6. #26
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,716
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Again. Name me 31 Dmen who are better. Name 20 who are better...

    This "not a #1 dman" thing is beyond old. By what criteria are you basing this off of?
    The "name me 31 BETTER d men" is old.

    You're over simplifying a complex conversation.

  7. #27
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,716
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    You're giving Trouba 20% more money than Morgan Reilly, who is 10 times the player.
    This is actually a great way to look at it.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    699
    Rep Power
    18
    Alrighty. Well it's done and now the more interesting moves should follow in short order.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  9. #29
    //reported Junior Division
    phillyb™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,644
    Rep Power
    88
    So happy this got done. I’ll read everything later.
    LGR!

  10. #30
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,729
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The "name me 31 BETTER d men" is old.

    You're over simplifying a complex conversation.
    And so are you by comparing a contract from 2016 to one in 2019.
    GORTON 2020

  11. #31
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,930
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is actually a great way to look at it.
    Not really. Morgan Reilly signed his contract out of his ELC, and it takes him to free agency. He had no arb rights, no inflated QO, no 50 point seasons, nothing to back that deal up.

    This is like Trouba's fourth or fifth contract, second or third time in arb, a higher QO, at least 1 50 point season, etc.

    FWIW, Morgan Reilly is going to be the highest paid defender in the NHL when he's off that deal.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  12. #32
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    74
    Not a fan of the $8 million a year. My question is why'd this take so long if that's the number it is? I would have thought that if they were willing to give him 7/56 then this should have been done a couple minutes after the trade.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  13. #33
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    You're giving Trouba 20% more money than Morgan Reilly, who is 10 times the player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is actually a great way to look at it.
    I mean Rielly signed 3 years ago for 7% of the cap. He had just turned 22 and will be a UFA at 28.

    Rangers have Trouba at 9.82% of the cap locked up until age 32.

    What will Rielly be making for ages 28 through 32? And that contract will last until he is 35.

  14. #34
    Sexxxy beast Pee-Wee Division skunkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    with my wife
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    19
    So this d-man in his prime that we signed is better than the D-man in his prime that we traded away because we were too scared to resign him?
    Hidden Content

    The Skunk Has Spoken!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik
    "well, women do have a higher tolerance for pain than skunks"

  15. #35
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,369
    Rep Power
    76
    That's a million too much, but atleast he is locked up long term.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    That's a million too much, but atleast he is locked up long term.
    Overpaid, hopefully it works out. Certainly top dollar imo.

  17. #37
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,050
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Why would you give up two good assets, only to buy out and arb year and STILL pay top bean *and* hand out a NMC too.

    I don't get it. I don't see much value here. This isn't the guy I'm building a defense around, and at that price, that's exactly the case. Why not bridge him?
    To what? He's a year away from free agency. They just bought six years. If you don't think Jacob Trouba was getting $8 million minimum on the open market next summer, you're just wrong. He'd probably flirt with $10 million given percentage of cap + rising revenue.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #38
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,050
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    You're giving Trouba 20% more money than Morgan Reilly, who is 10 times the player.
    Who signed in 2016, at the age of 22, not 25, and accounted for 7% of the cap at the time. The Leafs also bought just one year of UFA from him. Not six.

    They don't compare. You guys are looking at players in a vacuum, which they don't exist in. Markets shift every summer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I mean Rielly signed 3 years ago for 7% of the cap. He had just turned 22 and will be a UFA at 28.

    Rangers have Trouba at 9.82% of the cap locked up until age 32.

    What will Rielly be making for ages 28 through 32? And that contract will last until he is 35.
    Bingo.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #39
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,050
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkman View Post
    So this d-man in his prime that we signed is better than the D-man in his prime that we traded away because we were too scared to resign him?
    Pionk is to Trouba as a bicycle is to a Ford F150. Just because it has wheels doesn't make it a comparable.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  20. #40
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,233
    Rep Power
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Pionk is to Trouba as a bicycle is to a Ford F150. Just because it has wheels doesn't make it a comparable.
    McDonagh
    lol
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •