• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

Phil

I didn't bring OEL up. Someone said there was a big gap between him and Trouba. I'm not sure what your point is, or if you even have one.

My point is that comparing players stats takes context beyond what you are saying. Same as comparing contracts. Bottom line is Pete thinks the contract isn’t great while you think it’s fine. The opinion either way is sound, the comparables though can be gerrymandered to fit your view.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that comparing players stats takes context beyond what you are saying. Same as comparing contracts. Bottom line is Pete thinks the contract isn’t great while you think it’s fine. The opinion either way is sound, the comparables though can be gerrymandered to fit your view.

Agreed, but I'm not the one who made the OEL claim or the one who initially brought up point totals to paint a picture. I posted even strength stats because someone posted point totals first, which was gerrymandering as you say ;)

Agreed, but I'm not the one who made the OEL claim or the one who initially brought up point totals to paint a picture. I posted even strength stats because someone posted point totals first, which was gerrymandering as you say ;)
You actually brought point totals up first by way of PP time vs PK time.

The fact remains that you're giving Trouba this contract because of one good year. Every other year he's missed games or been bad or played behind Buff, or all 3.

You actually brought point totals up first by way of PP time vs PK time.

The fact remains that you're giving Trouba this contract because of one good year. Every other year he's missed games or been bad or played behind Buff, or all 3.

You're stuck on point totals. It's not one good year. Jury is definitely out on Trouba living up to the contract, but his body of work to this point though puts him in this neighborhood dollar wise. Even though it's at the higher end of the neighborhood.

You're stuck on point totals. It's not one good year. Jury is definitely out on Trouba living up to the contract, but his body of work to this point though puts him in this neighborhood dollar wise. Even though it's at the higher end of the neighborhood.
You and Puckhead are the only people who've mentioned points, so don't tell me I'm hung up on it when I've mentioned Production in literally one post lol.

You and Puckhead are the only people who've mentioned points, so don't tell me I'm hung up on it when I've mentioned Production in literally one post lol.

You made the OEL claim then brought up Trouba's 50 points and said it wasn't valid. Do better to back up your claim.

If he’s a 30 point player that’s surely a disappointment. To make that amount of money he needs to be consistently at a minimum of 40-45 points while being very good defensively vs top players.

They gambled on him

He’s a cusp guy between 1/2 pairing. Low end of one, high end of the other

His most important impact may be on the defensive side and does his presence with Skjei, whom we all assume is who he will be partnered with, help Skjei get back on track and spark a resurgence in his play

You made the OEL claim then brought up Trouba's 50 points and said it wasn't valid. Do better to back up your claim.

Nah, I did just fine. I brought up OEL because someone [quite incorrectly] said I was using contracts from 2016 as a comparable. Just last year, better players were signing for pretty much what Trouba got, after doing it for longer. Year before OEL was Hedman. Trouba is making pretty much what these guys make and yet they're in the Norris conversation and Trouba wasn't even the best defenseman on his team, ever.

John Carlson, after a 68 point season and a cup, got $8 million. There's a complete my out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

These are the facts....we're betting on Trouba for one good year, because on only had one good year. If you're cool with the risks, great. Others may not be. Deal with it.

Nah, I did just fine. I brought up OEL because someone [quite incorrectly] said I was using contracts from 2016 as a comparable. Just last year, better players were signing for pretty much what Trouba got, after doing it for longer. Year before OEL was Hedman. Trouba is making pretty much what these guys make and yet they're in the Norris conversation and Trouba wasn't even the best defenseman on his team, ever.

John Carlson, after a 68 point season and a cup, got $8 million. There's a complete my out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

These are the facts....we're betting on Trouba for one good year, because on only had one good year. If you're cool with the risks, great. Others may not be. Deal with it.

OEL, Hedman, Carlson. One of these is not like the others. I'm actually surprised Hedman and Carlson took those deals to be honest, when guys like Doughty get 11. Karlsson this year at 11.5. It's actually pretty confusing and illustrates you can't pick out the contracts that fit a narrative and leave the ones out that don't. Seems probable to me that Hedman/Carlson valued where they were enough to give quite a large hometown discount to stay put.

If the Rangers were uncomfortable with the Trouba $ they shouldn't have made the trade in the first place.

OEL, Hedman, Carlson. One of these is not like the others. I'm actually surprised Hedman and Carlson took those deals to be honest, when guys like Doughty get 11. Karlsson this year at 11.5. It's actually pretty confusing and illustrates you can't pick out the contracts that fit a narrative and leave the ones out that don't. Seems probable to me that Hedman/Carlson valued where they were enough to give quite a large hometown discount to stay put.

If the Rangers were uncomfortable with the Trouba $ they shouldn't have made the trade in the first place.

Yes. Trouba is not like OEL, Carlson or Hedman LOL.

Even your pot shots don't make sense... Contracts that fit the narrative? Blah blah yada yada. Try harder.

Or maybe you can abandon the weaksauce and address the point? I'll say it again since you manage to sidestep repeatedly...

There's a complete myth out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

Yes. Trouba is not like OEL, Carlson or Hedman LOL.

Even your pot shots don't make sense... Contracts that fit the narrative? Blah blah yada yada. Try harder.

Or maybe you can abandon the weaksauce and address the point? I'll say it again since you manage to sidestep repeatedly...

There's a complete myth out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

There were no pot shots there lol. Your OEL comparison is way off the mark. You picked a bad example and then you try to group him with Hedman and Carlson. Oof. Trouba is close to OEL, and the other 2 are clearly on a different level.

The Rangers gambled on trading for Trouba without talking to him first about a contract. Seems to me they were in a spot where they pay a little more than his current worth or they go into the season with a question mark on him remaining with the team after a year. If you disagree with the gamble, fine. I can't say I am particularly all in on the move either. At least like I am with the Panarin signing anyway.

There were no pot shots there lol. Your OEL comparison is way off the mark. You picked a bad example and then you try to group him with Hedman and Carlson. Oof. Trouba is close to OEL, and the other 2 are clearly on a different level.

The Rangers gambled on trading for Trouba without talking to him first about a contract. Seems to me they were in a spot where they pay a little more than his current worth or they go into the season with a question mark on him remaining with the team after a year. If you disagree with the gamble, fine. I can't say I am particularly all in on the move either. At least like I am with the Panarin signing anyway.

You not liking the example doesn't make it a bad example.

I would venture to bet there's not an NHL GM that takes Trouba over OEL at the same price tag.

But that said, we agree it's a gamble, at least.

It?s the same logic. A deal that was signed years ago is not relevant to 2019.
OEL signed last year. Carlson and Hedman the year before.

Crosby signed a 12 year deal in 2013... And that term for someone with a scrambled melon makes sense.

So there as zero correlation. It's just intentionally lazy.

OEL signed last year. Carlson and Hedman the year before.

Crosby signed a 12 year deal in 2013... And that term for someone with a scrambled melon makes sense.

So there as zero correlation. It's just intentionally lazy.

When Crosby signed it was like, whoa shit -- that's a big cap hit. Then, 6 years later it's not a big cap hit at all. In fact it's quite small comparatively. You can't compare Trouba's deal to a deal last year, let alone two years ago -- that is a lazy, obvious take that makes no sense considering inflation and cap ceiling.

Similar to Trouba, OEL also has but one 50 point season. So while you may hold him up as some top flight dman, your logic is flawed. OEL makes more money, on a contract signed a year earlier, on a team that's literally had no success, while only scoring a career high 55 points, one time four years ago.

So... Please explain how that's a better deal.

Carlson is also signed until he's 37, while Trouba is only signed for his prime years. Carlson also got 8th years instead of 7 AND he took a hometown discount to stay with the team he just won a cup with.