• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

Phil

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it.

#1 money for a #2 Dman.

At least 15% overpay.

Rangers always over pay by 25%. So thats good for them.

6.5 (which I think would be around where he should be) x 1.25 = 8.125

most importantly, 1st + Pionk.

I cant complain about 8m, yet. Wait until game 3, though.

Fuck thats a lot. Would’ve been happier if they did 8 yrs/$7 per instead

can't do 8y. They could have done 1y, then re-signed in January. But Trouba is NOT a person you want to negotiate with. His notoriously annoying when it comes to contract. Just getting rid of that stress is worth the extra $1m per season

I like trouba and hopefully he lives up to the deal. The rangers seem to have a constant stream of bad contracts. Once they are finally getting out from one they are already invested in the next one. Hopefully this isn’t the case but he’s not a number 1 guy. At least he hasn’t been yet. The extra million here and there compounded by buyouts and they will have problems.

I like trouba and hopefully he lives up to the deal. The rangers seem to have a constant stream of bad contracts. Once they are finally getting out from one they are already invested in the next one. Hopefully this isn’t the case but he’s not a number 1 guy. At least he hasn’t been yet. The extra million here and there compounded by buyouts and they will have problems.

I do agree with this. But then again, I think they probably would have given Pionk $4m, soo....

I do agree with this. But then again, I think they probably would have given Pionk $4m, soo....

You’re probably right. And you are right about them pretty much always overpaying. Still doesn’t mean I can’t hope they don’t. I wonder how much of it because of the taxes here or because the rangers have always been known for being loose in the wallet? Maybe both.

Anyway I do really like trouba and think he could get better, but damn that’s a lot for him. Expected though.

It's exactly what it was rumored to be from the beginning. Exactly.

How can anyone be surprised.

There was a range that was rumored from everywhere I read (7ish-8), not an exact number. This is at the very top of that range. So yes, I'm a little surprised they couldn't work him down some. I find it hard to believe Trouba went in asking for more than 8 and worked his way down. I think the Rangers were forced to blink first here given the amount of moves they have yet to make.

At least we can ditch him, including a trade to Ottawa, if we don't feel right about this after a year. That's an escape hatch that would have come in handy with a lot of our other big contracts.

If the Rangers want to get rid of him after a year, then it means he didn't really live up to expectations. If he didn't live up to expectations, I'd have a hard time believing that contract is getting moved. So that no protection the first year kind of confuses me.

Why would you give up two good assets, only to buy out and arb year and STILL pay top bean *and* hand out a NMC too.

I don't get it. I don't see much value here. This isn't the guy I'm building a defense around, and at that price, that's exactly the case. Why not bridge him?

3rd most points by a D under 25 with lesser PP time than most of the others. Signing him for his entire prime years (25-32). 7,5 or 8m, dont really care. We signed a really good player for a long time (the 2nd one this off-season), I dont really understand how people can complain about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

3rd most points by a D under 25 with lesser PP time than most of the others. Signing him for his entire prime years (25-32). 7,5 or 8m, dont really care. We signed a really good player for a long time (the 2nd one this off-season), I dont really understand how people can complain about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You're giving Trouba 20% more money than Morgan Reilly, who is 10 times the player.