Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

Senior Member Midget Division
    is it just me or did we overpay trouba when we have fox coming in who is the next larry robinson?
    Acqua in bocca

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Maybe he is, maybe not.

Trouba's never been the guy on the PP - that's always been Big Buff or Blake Wheeler in Winterpeg. He still put up 50 points. If Fox is better at running the show, so be it; Trouba's not an offensive slouch by any measure.

I get that you don't want to pay a guy 8m/y to be a 30 point player, but I'm not sure that's a reality we're staring down here. Not in the first few years, anyway.
    I'm not saying Trouba's a slouch, but he put up 50 points because he ran the PP when Buff was out for almost 40 games. You're focusing on Fox and leaving out ADA. It's not hard to see them running PP1 and Trouba as a 25-point player - or 29 like last year. Point is, he's not sniffing 50 without heavy PP time.

I don't care if they pay him $8m to be a 30-point player, I'm not generally worried about points from a defenseman and if he and Skjei are an effective matchup pair so that others (ADA, Fox) can get advantageous matchups, I'm fine with it. I care that they traded for AND paid $8m for a second-pair player.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'm not saying Trouba's a slouch, but he put up 50 points because he ran the PP when Buff was out for almost 40 games. You're focusing on Fox and leaving out ADA. It's not hard to see them running PP1 and Trouba as a 25-point player - or 29 like last year. Point is, he's not sniffing 50 without heavy PP time.

I don't care if they pay him $8m to be a 30-point player, I'm not generally worried about points from a defenseman and if he and Skjei are an effective matchup pair so that others (ADA, Fox) can get advantageous matchups, I'm fine with it. I care that they traded for AND paid $8m for a second-pair player.
    What makes you think he won't get it? Brooks has been banging that drum for months now, suggesting he's going to start the year as the top triggerman.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    They are at this very moment, however in the grander scheme of things? They really aren't.

We've locked up the #1F and #1D. That's good.

Our expiring contracts next season are expected to be replaced both production and cost-wise largely by ELCs (Kreider might be the exception here).

Our cap positioning is ALL ABOUT 2021-2022 right now; at the worst possible case, that's when the following things all happen:

Hank off the books
    Shattenkirk off the books
    Smith off the books
    Staal off the books

Must extend:
    Chytil
    Howden
    Andersson
    Hajek

We're not at risk of losing a player we shouldn't with the notable exception of Buch/ADA, and ADA is debatably in that camp.
    We know things change

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    What makes you think he won't get it? Brooks has been banging that drum for months now, suggesting he's going to start the year as the top triggerman.
    I didn't say he won't. I said it's very possible that ADA and Fox are both better at it, so it's not far fetched to think he won't.

His PP abilities are overblown anyways. He had 5 primary assists on the PP last year. With that forward group, color me unimpressed.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    I didn't say he won't. I said it's very possible that ADA and Fox are both better at it, so it's not far fetched to think he won't.

His PP abilities are overblown anyways. He had 5 primary assists on the PP last year. With that forward group, color me unimpressed.
    Right. For the record, I don't think he's going to be the guy (for long). Fox, to me, is that guy. Long-term, at least. But I could very easily see them running with some combination of DeAngelo/Trouba until Fox takes over.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    They don’t want to McD him either.
    He’s going to play on the 1st pair. He’s going to play pk1. Does he really need to be pp1 as well?
    I also think AdA and quite possibly Fox are better pp qb’s anyway.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    He’s going to play on the 1st pair. He’s going to play pk1. Does he really need to be pp1 as well?
    Nope, he doesn't. He also shouldn't be judged on point totals if he isn't. Most defensemen that reach the 50 point plateau do so with heavy PP usage.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I also think AdA and quite possibly Fox are better pp qb’s anyway.
    I think the rangers just gave 8 million reasons that he'll be quarterbacking the PP, unless he shits the bed

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I think the rangers just gave 8 million reasons that he'll be quarterbacking the PP, unless he shits the bed
    I bet that he will begin there, being a new shiny toy and all - particularly while they feel out what Fox can do now. Trouba has said, "I wanna be the man." They just paid him like he is and I would think they'll give him a chance to show what kind of load he can shoulder.

Well obviously.

But he doesn't even have to shit the bed to be surpassed by ADA or Fox.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    The Adam Fox stuff is premature

Yet to play a single professional game.

Everyone should slow down on him.
    He has a potentially bright future and I’m glad they have him, but he’s going to have his ups and downs regardless. How long until Quinn has to scratch his ass?

And as of this moment there a 4 RHD on the roster potentially for 3 spots.

Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar

Obviously the Rangers disagree with your assessment that Trouba is second pair. The $8m per is a problem if you are correct.

I have low expectations for Fox this year. If ADA is still around in a few years I hope he is third pair/healthy scratch material.

Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    The Adam Fox stuff is premature

Yet to play a single professional game.

Everyone should slow down on him.
    He has a potentially bright future and I’m glad they have him, but he’s going to have his ups and downs regardless. How long until Quinn has to scratch his ass?

And as of this moment there a 4 RHD on the roster potentially for 3 spots.

Agree with this completely. Reminds me of the Vesey situation from a few years ago.

Banned Junior Division
    Well obviously.

But he doesn't even have to shit the bed to be surpassed by ADA or Fox.
    ADA has been around for few years. he has shown talent but overall his body of work isn't that impressive. to think he will surpass Trouba is a stretch
    Fox hasn't played a game yet.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    I think ADA could put up 70 points in the right situation.

ADA has been around for few years. he has shown talent but overall his body of work isn't that impressive. to think he will surpass Trouba is a stretch
    Fox hasn't played a game yet.
    On the PP..........

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I’m agreeing with you lol
    Lol. Sorry about the tone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I think ADA could put up 70 points in the right situation.
    maybe playing with Gretzky

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    maybe playing with Gretzky
    Kurrri——Gretzky——Water Bottle
    ——-Coffey———ADA

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast