Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    When Crosby signed it was like, whoa shit -- that's a big cap hit. Then, 6 years later it's not a big cap hit at all. In fact it's quite small comparatively. You can't compare Trouba's deal to a deal last year, let alone two years ago -- that is a lazy, obvious take that makes no sense considering inflation and cap ceiling.

Similar to Trouba, OEL also has but one 50 point season. So while you may hold him up as some top flight dman, your logic is flawed. OEL makes more money, on a contract signed a year earlier, on a team that's literally had no success, while only scoring a career high 55 points, one time four years ago.

So... Please explain how that's a better deal.
    I've already done it, so not gonna do it again.

I've said my piece and at this point, to be honest, don't care who agrees.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Carlson is also signed until he's 37, while Trouba is only signed for his prime years. Carlson also got 8th years instead of 7 AND he took a hometown discount to stay with the team he just won a cup with.
    Right, so Washington bought more UFA years, which costs more.

Trouba wanted to be here. He forced a trade here. Really unclear to me why we'd then also pay top money for ... Again... One. Good. Season.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Because hes a stud
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Because hes a stud
    You're gonna have to do better. What makes him a stud?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're gonna have to do better. What makes him a stud?
    I said so, that should be plenty
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I said so, that should be plenty
    Not nearly enough hahahaha.

Whatever happened to that other kid from North Jersey you said was a stud?

Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    We got a 25 year old potential top pair defenseman. To pay him $8m x 7 the Rangers brain trust must obviously think he will be very good. Who cares that he was not the top guy on WPG or that he only had 50 points once. If he becomes the lead dog here he will be worth the price. Not a bad offseason when you add the top forward and top Dman available and draft a potential stud. Sure beats keeping the powder dry while we are on a long term rebuild.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    We got a 25 year old potential top pair defenseman. To pay him $8m x 7 the Rangers brain trust must obviously think he will be very good. Who cares that he was not the top guy on WPG or that he only had 50 points once. If he becomes the lead dog here he will be worth the price. Not a bad offseason when you add the top forward and top Dman available and draft a potential stud. Sure beats keeping the powder dry while we are on a long term rebuild.
    Sure.... Which is why my point the whole time has been:

1. We didn't HAVE to pay him.
    2. This is a risk.
    3. It may work out, it may not.

You can say those things about most contracts. And it's what we debate here.

My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.

Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar

2. This is a risk.

My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.
    Always risk with any move. When you bring in a young guy that has already achieved that still has potential there will always be greater financial risk. When the Rangers acquired Trouba I would certainly hope that they realized the financial commitment it would take to keep him.

It may work, it may not. We certainly had a need. I have faith that Gorton & Co got it right.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect

2. This is a risk.

The risk is term, more than anything else.

We're all going to be rooting for a few more of those 50 point seasons.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Bantam Division

2. This is a risk.

We didn’t HAVE to. But the alternative was going through arbitration and then losing him in free agency at which point he’d almost certainly get 8m. He was negotiating from a position of strength, and realistically allowing him to reach UFA after giving away assets to get him was never on the table. Unless his ask was ridiculous, which - whilst on the high side - it isn’t.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Fuck, the rangers are already in cap trouble and they aren't even finished rebuilding

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    Fuck, the rangers are already in cap trouble and they aren't even finished rebuilding
    They are at this very moment, however in the grander scheme of things? They really aren't.

We've locked up the #1F and #1D. That's good.

Our expiring contracts next season are expected to be replaced both production and cost-wise largely by ELCs (Kreider might be the exception here).

Our cap positioning is ALL ABOUT 2021-2022 right now; at the worst possible case, that's when the following things all happen:

Hank off the books
    Shattenkirk off the books
    Smith off the books
    Staal off the books

Must extend:
    Chytil
    Howden
    Andersson
    Hajek

We're not at risk of losing a player we shouldn't with the notable exception of Buch/ADA, and ADA is debatably in that camp.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Not nearly enough hahahaha.

Whatever happened to that other kid from North Jersey you said was a stud?
    Personal shit fucked him up...ie: Redden
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar

2. This is a risk.

2. This is a risk.

They overpaid him. That’s just a fact. I like him a lot but I don’t at this point view him as a clear cut top D. 50+ points 1 time shouldn’t get you $56 million. He has more to prove. And I don’t think you will see 50+ points regularly from him.
    Think he’s a 40-45 point guy.

Having said that, I’m glad they have him. He does fill a glaring need and immediately he makes you better. He will eat 22-25 minutes a night. At 25 the 7 year term is perfect. 32 at end of deal. You’re paying for his prime years.
    And I personally feel that he’s very good in his own end. I feel he’s underrated there. Physical. Nasty disposition and hard to play against, but also mobile with a heavy shot and some offense to his game.

So all in all I like that they have him. Think he suits well as a guy who can play a lot of minutes vs top players in more of a shut down role and come out on top more often than not. And while it’s only 1 season of it, there’s offense there.
    The $8 million per is high. But that looks better as the cap increases and other D make more money.

But agree on risk and not having fully proven himself worthy of that payday

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    They are at this very moment, however in the grander scheme of things? They really aren't.

Our expiring contracts next season are expected to be replaced both production and cost-wise largely by ELCs (Kreider might be the exception here).

Our cap positioning is ALL ABOUT 2021-2022 right now; at the worst possible case, that's when the following things all happen:

Hank off the books
    Smith off the books
    Staal off the books

Must extend:
    Chytil
    Howden
    Andersson
    Hajek

We're not at risk of losing a player we shouldn't with the notable exception of Buch/ADA, and ADA is debatably in that camp.
    Yes.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post

Hank off the books
    Smith off the books
    Staal off the books

Must extend:
    Chytil
    Howden
    Andersson
    Hajek

Here we go! I think this has it summed up pretty well.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    They overpaid him. That’s just a fact. I like him a lot but I don’t at this point view him as a clear cut top D. 50+ points 1 time shouldn’t get you $56 million. He has more to prove. And I don’t think you will see 50+ points regularly from him.
    Think he’s a 40-45 point guy.

Having said that, I’m glad they have him. He does fill a glaring need and immediately he makes you better. He will eat 22-25 minutes a night. At 25 the 7 year term is perfect. 32 at end of deal. You’re paying for his prime years.
    And I personally feel that he’s very good in his own end. I feel he’s underrated there. Physical. Nasty disposition and hard to play against, but also mobile with a heavy shot and some offense to his game.

So all in all I like that they have him. Think he suits well as a guy who can play a lot of minutes vs top players in more of a shut down role and come out on top more often than not. And while it’s only 1 season of it, there’s offense there.
    The $8 million per is high. But that looks better as the cap increases and other D make more money.

But agree on risk and not having fully proven himself worthy of that payday
    would have liked to have seen more like 7x7 but in this market another mill a year, with a supposedly decent TV contract on the horizon its not going to kill you.

my question was always whether he can be a clear no 1, as its something he never was up to this point. I'll leave his production 45-50 points to others on this board who can more accurately project what peek production and points equate to for defenseman.
    Acqua in bocca

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG LONG LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Let's wait and see how great a " defender " he is before anointing him as a savior.

Banned Junior Division
    long time fan, is your air conditioner working?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast