Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 191

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

  1. #101
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    When Crosby signed it was like, whoa shit -- that's a big cap hit. Then, 6 years later it's not a big cap hit at all. In fact it's quite small comparatively. You can't compare Trouba's deal to a deal last year, let alone two years ago -- that is a lazy, obvious take that makes no sense considering inflation and cap ceiling.

    Similar to Trouba, OEL also has but one 50 point season. So while you may hold him up as some top flight dman, your logic is flawed. OEL makes more money, on a contract signed a year earlier, on a team that's literally had no success, while only scoring a career high 55 points, one time four years ago.

    So... Please explain how that's a better deal.
    I've already done it, so not gonna do it again.

    I've said my piece and at this point, to be honest, don't care who agrees.

  2. #102
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Carlson is also signed until he's 37, while Trouba is only signed for his prime years. Carlson also got 8th years instead of 7 AND he took a hometown discount to stay with the team he just won a cup with.
    Right, so Washington bought more UFA years, which costs more.

    Trouba wanted to be here. He forced a trade here. Really unclear to me why we'd then also pay top money for ... Again... One. Good. Season.

  3. #103
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,391
    Rep Power
    149
    Because hes a stud
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  4. #104
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Because hes a stud
    You're gonna have to do better. What makes him a stud?

  5. #105
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,391
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're gonna have to do better. What makes him a stud?
    I said so, that should be plenty
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  6. #106
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I said so, that should be plenty
    Not nearly enough hahahaha.

    Whatever happened to that other kid from North Jersey you said was a stud?

  7. #107
    Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    1
    We got a 25 year old potential top pair defenseman. To pay him $8m x 7 the Rangers brain trust must obviously think he will be very good. Who cares that he was not the top guy on WPG or that he only had 50 points once. If he becomes the lead dog here he will be worth the price. Not a bad offseason when you add the top forward and top Dman available and draft a potential stud. Sure beats keeping the powder dry while we are on a long term rebuild.

  8. #108
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    We got a 25 year old potential top pair defenseman. To pay him $8m x 7 the Rangers brain trust must obviously think he will be very good. Who cares that he was not the top guy on WPG or that he only had 50 points once. If he becomes the lead dog here he will be worth the price. Not a bad offseason when you add the top forward and top Dman available and draft a potential stud. Sure beats keeping the powder dry while we are on a long term rebuild.
    Sure.... Which is why my point the whole time has been:

    1. We didn't HAVE to pay him.
    2. This is a risk.
    3. It may work out, it may not.

    You can say those things about most contracts. And it's what we debate here.

    My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

    I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.

  9. #109
    Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sure.... Which is why my point the whole time has been:

    1. We didn't HAVE to pay him.
    2. This is a risk.
    3. It may work out, it may not.

    You can say those things about most contracts. And it's what we debate here.

    My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

    I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.
    Always risk with any move. When you bring in a young guy that has already achieved that still has potential there will always be greater financial risk. When the Rangers acquired Trouba I would certainly hope that they realized the financial commitment it would take to keep him.

    It may work, it may not. We certainly had a need. I have faith that Gorton & Co got it right.

  10. #110
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,932
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sure.... Which is why my point the whole time has been:

    1. We didn't HAVE to pay him.
    2. This is a risk.
    3. It may work out, it may not.

    You can say those things about most contracts. And it's what we debate here.

    My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

    I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.
    The risk is term, more than anything else.

    We're all going to be rooting for a few more of those 50 point seasons.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  11. #111
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,783
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sure.... Which is why my point the whole time has been:

    1. We didn't HAVE to pay him.
    2. This is a risk.
    3. It may work out, it may not.

    You can say those things about most contracts. And it's what we debate here.

    My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

    I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.
    We didn’t HAVE to. But the alternative was going through arbitration and then losing him in free agency at which point he’d almost certainly get 8m. He was negotiating from a position of strength, and realistically allowing him to reach UFA after giving away assets to get him was never on the table. Unless his ask was ridiculous, which - whilst on the high side - it isn’t.

  12. #112
    Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,169
    Rep Power
    20
    Fuck, the rangers are already in cap trouble and they aren't even finished rebuilding

  13. #113
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,932
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    Fuck, the rangers are already in cap trouble and they aren't even finished rebuilding
    They are at this very moment, however in the grander scheme of things? They really aren't.

    We've locked up the #1F and #1D. That's good.

    Our expiring contracts next season are expected to be replaced both production and cost-wise largely by ELCs (Kreider might be the exception here).

    Our cap positioning is ALL ABOUT 2021-2022 right now; at the worst possible case, that's when the following things all happen:

    Hank off the books
    Shattenkirk off the books
    Smith off the books
    Staal off the books

    Must extend:
    Chytil
    Howden
    Andersson
    Hajek

    We're not at risk of losing a player we shouldn't with the notable exception of Buch/ADA, and ADA is debatably in that camp.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  14. #114
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,391
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not nearly enough hahahaha.

    Whatever happened to that other kid from North Jersey you said was a stud?
    Personal shit fucked him up...ie: Redden
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  15. #115
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sure.... Which is why my point the whole time has been:

    1. We didn't HAVE to pay him.
    2. This is a risk.
    3. It may work out, it may not.

    You can say those things about most contracts. And it's what we debate here.

    My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

    I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sure.... Which is why my point the whole time has been:

    1. We didn't HAVE to pay him.
    2. This is a risk.
    3. It may work out, it may not.

    You can say those things about most contracts. And it's what we debate here.

    My issue is with people acting like this contract was owed and automatic. It's not. There are better D who've signed recently who make what he's making.

    I'd have been more comfortable if he had another season or 2 like lasts year's under his belt.
    They overpaid him. That’s just a fact. I like him a lot but I don’t at this point view him as a clear cut top D. 50+ points 1 time shouldn’t get you $56 million. He has more to prove. And I don’t think you will see 50+ points regularly from him.
    Think he’s a 40-45 point guy.

    Having said that, I’m glad they have him. He does fill a glaring need and immediately he makes you better. He will eat 22-25 minutes a night. At 25 the 7 year term is perfect. 32 at end of deal. You’re paying for his prime years.
    And I personally feel that he’s very good in his own end. I feel he’s underrated there. Physical. Nasty disposition and hard to play against, but also mobile with a heavy shot and some offense to his game.

    So all in all I like that they have him. Think he suits well as a guy who can play a lot of minutes vs top players in more of a shut down role and come out on top more often than not. And while it’s only 1 season of it, there’s offense there.
    The $8 million per is high. But that looks better as the cap increases and other D make more money.

    But agree on risk and not having fully proven himself worthy of that payday

  16. #116
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,251
    Rep Power
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    They are at this very moment, however in the grander scheme of things? They really aren't.

    We've locked up the #1F and #1D. That's good.

    Our expiring contracts next season are expected to be replaced both production and cost-wise largely by ELCs (Kreider might be the exception here).

    Our cap positioning is ALL ABOUT 2021-2022 right now; at the worst possible case, that's when the following things all happen:

    Hank off the books
    Shattenkirk off the books
    Smith off the books
    Staal off the books

    Must extend:
    Chytil
    Howden
    Andersson
    Hajek

    We're not at risk of losing a player we shouldn't with the notable exception of Buch/ADA, and ADA is debatably in that camp.
    Yes.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  17. #117
    Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    1,283
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    They are at this very moment, however in the grander scheme of things? They really aren't.

    We've locked up the #1F and #1D. That's good.

    Our expiring contracts next season are expected to be replaced both production and cost-wise largely by ELCs (Kreider might be the exception here).

    Our cap positioning is ALL ABOUT 2021-2022 right now; at the worst possible case, that's when the following things all happen:

    Hank off the books
    Shattenkirk off the books
    Smith off the books
    Staal off the books

    Must extend:
    Chytil
    Howden
    Andersson
    Hajek

    We're not at risk of losing a player we shouldn't with the notable exception of Buch/ADA, and ADA is debatably in that camp.
    Here we go! I think this has it summed up pretty well.

  18. #118
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,507
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    They overpaid him. That’s just a fact. I like him a lot but I don’t at this point view him as a clear cut top D. 50+ points 1 time shouldn’t get you $56 million. He has more to prove. And I don’t think you will see 50+ points regularly from him.
    Think he’s a 40-45 point guy.

    Having said that, I’m glad they have him. He does fill a glaring need and immediately he makes you better. He will eat 22-25 minutes a night. At 25 the 7 year term is perfect. 32 at end of deal. You’re paying for his prime years.
    And I personally feel that he’s very good in his own end. I feel he’s underrated there. Physical. Nasty disposition and hard to play against, but also mobile with a heavy shot and some offense to his game.

    So all in all I like that they have him. Think he suits well as a guy who can play a lot of minutes vs top players in more of a shut down role and come out on top more often than not. And while it’s only 1 season of it, there’s offense there.
    The $8 million per is high. But that looks better as the cap increases and other D make more money.

    But agree on risk and not having fully proven himself worthy of that payday
    would have liked to have seen more like 7x7 but in this market another mill a year, with a supposedly decent TV contract on the horizon its not going to kill you.

    my question was always whether he can be a clear no 1, as its something he never was up to this point. I'll leave his production 45-50 points to others on this board who can more accurately project what peek production and points equate to for defenseman.
    Acqua in bocca

  19. #119
    Senior Member Bantam Division LONG LONG LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NEVER NEVER LAND
    Posts
    2,096
    Rep Power
    11
    Let's wait and see how great a " defender " he is before anointing him as a savior.

  20. #120
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,216
    Rep Power
    76
    long time fan, is your air conditioner working?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •