• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

Phil

If that's what Trouba turns out to be then I'd be more okay paying him 8 than the 5.25 Skjei gets to be a sieve in the D zone.

OK, not sure why your default always goes to Skeji, he's got zero to do with this conversation.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think there’s real danger of him being a 25 point player

Maybe he has an off year and does that

I think there's a pretty real scenario where ADA and Fox are both ahead of him on the PP. If that's the case, he's a 25-point player.

Maybe not this year, but Trouba isn't so talented offensively that he should just be given that spot, especially with the offensive talent of those other guys.

I think there's a pretty real scenario where ADA and Fox are both ahead of him on the PP. If that's the case, he's a 25-point player.

Maybe not this year, but Trouba isn't so talented offensively that he should just be given that spot, especially with the offensive talent of those other guys.

you think he'd be worth $8M per year if there's a possibility that ADA and/or Fox could be ahead of him? I seriously doubt that. knowing our management he'll be on the first PP unit even if he never produces another point

you think he'd be worth $8M per year if there's a possibility that ADA and/or Fox could be ahead of him? I seriously doubt that.

These are separate issues.

Contract doesn't mean he's a better PPQB than either of those guys. They traded for Fox specifically because of his offensive ability. They've held onto ADA, specifically for his offensive ability. Trouba is the more complete defenseman, but there's very little to say that he's better at running a PP than either of these guys long term.

Nah, there'll be mixed sentiment. People will talk about how great he is defensively, and how many goals he "saves" when he's putting up 25 points. It'll be like the defenseman version of Rick Nash.

Where is all the Trouba hate coming from? Are you doing it just be be difficult?

He hasn't averaged 25 ppg since he was 21.

Maybe he is, maybe not.

Trouba's never been the guy on the PP - that's always been Big Buff or Blake Wheeler in Winterpeg. He still put up 50 points. If Fox is better at running the show, so be it; Trouba's not an offensive slouch by any measure.

I get that you don't want to pay a guy 8m/y to be a 30 point player, but I'm not sure that's a reality we're staring down here. Not in the first few years, anyway.

The only reason i really have any problem at all with this signing is because Staal, Shattenkirk, and Smith are also on the same team with fairly hefty contracts. If two of those are removed from this team by season's start, this is a great signing. If not, it means we are sacrificing players on the offensive side to keep a very flawed but expensive D corps into at least another year of our future.

I agree that he shouldn’t just be gifted time on the power play

But I think he gets there. He’ll at least have every opportunity

He should be better than a 25 point player though regardless. He had almost 30 points at even strength last year playing on a second pairing.

Where is all the Trouba hate coming from? Are you doing it just be be difficult?

25 PPG? I hope he signed with the Knicks.

Really though, you are right. The total points argument on Trouba isn't the correct one because it doesn't represent the pace he has put up points. The real argument should be durability.

2016-17: 45 point pace, but only played 60 games

17-18: 36 point pace but only played 55 games

On top of that, he historically hasn't gotten much PP time. Last year he had an uptick in PP time but still well below other first pairing defensemen he is being compared to. He had 18 PPP last year, and his previous high was 6. Just as importantly as PP time, he played the whole year.

Trouba wanted to be here. He forced a trade here. Really unclear to me why we'd then also pay top money for ... Again... One. Good. Season.

sums it up for me too. Hopefully it works out, god bless his heart for getting all he could, but yeah......

What hate? Because I think we paid too much is hate?

I like him. I think you and many others are going to be surprised by the ordinary offense you're getting from him.

But them you'll say... "But he saves so many goals..."

Hence the post you quoted.

When Crosby signed it was like, whoa shit -- that's a big cap hit. Then, 6 years later it's not a big cap hit at all. In fact it's quite small comparatively. You can't compare Trouba's deal to a deal last year, let alone two years ago -- that is a lazy, obvious take that makes no sense considering inflation and cap ceiling.

Similar to Trouba, OEL also has but one 50 point season. So while you may hold him up as some top flight dman, your logic is flawed. OEL makes more money, on a contract signed a year earlier, on a team that's literally had no success, while only scoring a career high 55 points, one time four years ago.

So... Please explain how that's a better deal.

Offensively OEL has been at a different level than Trouba.

Troubas top seasons

50, 33, 29, 24, 22, 21

OEL?s top seasons

54, 44, 44, 43, 42, 39

OEL is much more proven

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Offensively OEL has been at a different level than Trouba.

Troubas top seasons

50, 33, 29, 24, 22, 21

OEL’s top seasons

54, 44, 44, 43, 42, 39

OEL is much more proven

and on a team where OEL has been THE guy rather than a 2nd or 3rd option. Technically the year after they traded Yandle here, OEL led his entire team in points.

and on a team where OEL has been THE guy rather than a 2nd or 3rd option. Technically the year after they traded Yandle here, OEL led his entire team in points.

I was just stating fact.

There was a reference made in regards to Trouba just having as many 50pt seasons as OEL.

Offensively OEL has been proven year after year.

Maybe he is, maybe not.

Trouba's never been the guy on the PP - that's always been Big Buff or Blake Wheeler in Winterpeg. He still put up 50 points. If Fox is better at running the show, so be it; Trouba's not an offensive slouch by any measure.

I get that you don't want to pay a guy 8m/y to be a 30 point player, but I'm not sure that's a reality we're staring down here. Not in the first few years, anyway.

I'm not saying Trouba's a slouch, but he put up 50 points because he ran the PP when Buff was out for almost 40 games. You're focusing on Fox and leaving out ADA. It's not hard to see them running PP1 and Trouba as a 25-point player - or 29 like last year. Point is, he's not sniffing 50 without heavy PP time.

I don't care if they pay him $8m to be a 30-point player, I'm not generally worried about points from a defenseman and if he and Skjei are an effective matchup pair so that others (ADA, Fox) can get advantageous matchups, I'm fine with it. I care that they traded for AND paid $8m for a second-pair player.

I'm not saying Trouba's a slouch, but he put up 50 points because he ran the PP when Buff was out for almost 40 games. You're focusing on Fox and leaving out ADA. It's not hard to see them running PP1 and Trouba as a 25-point player - or 29 like last year. Point is, he's not sniffing 50 without heavy PP time.

I don't care if they pay him $8m to be a 30-point player, I'm not generally worried about points from a defenseman and if he and Skjei are an effective matchup pair so that others (ADA, Fox) can get advantageous matchups, I'm fine with it. I care that they traded for AND paid $8m for a second-pair player.

What makes you think he won't get it? Brooks has been banging that drum for months now, suggesting he's going to start the year as the top triggerman.

They are at this very moment, however in the grander scheme of things? They really aren't.

We've locked up the #1F and #1D. That's good.

Our expiring contracts next season are expected to be replaced both production and cost-wise largely by ELCs (Kreider might be the exception here).

Our cap positioning is ALL ABOUT 2021-2022 right now; at the worst possible case, that's when the following things all happen:

Hank off the books

Shattenkirk off the books

Smith off the books

Staal off the books

Must extend:

Chytil

Howden

Andersson

Hajek

We're not at risk of losing a player we shouldn't with the notable exception of Buch/ADA, and ADA is debatably in that camp.

We know things change

What makes you think he won't get it? Brooks has been banging that drum for months now, suggesting he's going to start the year as the top triggerman.

I didn't say he won't. I said it's very possible that ADA and Fox are both better at it, so it's not far fetched to think he won't.

His PP abilities are overblown anyways. He had 5 primary assists on the PP last year. With that forward group, color me unimpressed.

I didn't say he won't. I said it's very possible that ADA and Fox are both better at it, so it's not far fetched to think he won't.

His PP abilities are overblown anyways. He had 5 primary assists on the PP last year. With that forward group, color me unimpressed.

Right. For the record, I don't think he's going to be the guy (for long). Fox, to me, is that guy. Long-term, at least. But I could very easily see them running with some combination of DeAngelo/Trouba until Fox takes over.

They don’t want to McD him either.

He’s going to play on the 1st pair. He’s going to play pk1. Does he really need to be pp1 as well?

Nope, he doesn't. He also shouldn't be judged on point totals if he isn't. Most defensemen that reach the 50 point plateau do so with heavy PP usage.

They don’t want to McD him either.

He’s going to play on the 1st pair. He’s going to play pk1. Does he really need to be pp1 as well?

I also think AdA and quite possibly Fox are better pp qb’s anyway.

I think the rangers just gave 8 million reasons that he'll be quarterbacking the PP, unless he shits the bed

I think the rangers just gave 8 million reasons that he'll be quarterbacking the PP, unless he shits the bed

I bet that he will begin there, being a new shiny toy and all - particularly while they feel out what Fox can do now. Trouba has said, "I wanna be the man." They just paid him like he is and I would think they'll give him a chance to show what kind of load he can shoulder.