• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

Phil

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Adam Fox stuff is premature

Yet to play a single professional game.

Everyone should slow down on him.

He has a potentially bright future and I?m glad they have him, but he?s going to have his ups and downs regardless. How long until Quinn has to scratch his ass?

And as of this moment there a 4 RHD on the roster potentially for 3 spots.

I'm not saying Trouba's a slouch, but he put up 50 points because he ran the PP when Buff was out for almost 40 games. You're focusing on Fox and leaving out ADA. It's not hard to see them running PP1 and Trouba as a 25-point player - or 29 like last year. Point is, he's not sniffing 50 without heavy PP time.

I don't care if they pay him $8m to be a 30-point player, I'm not generally worried about points from a defenseman and if he and Skjei are an effective matchup pair so that others (ADA, Fox) can get advantageous matchups, I'm fine with it. I care that they traded for AND paid $8m for a second-pair player.

Obviously the Rangers disagree with your assessment that Trouba is second pair. The $8m per is a problem if you are correct.

I have low expectations for Fox this year. If ADA is still around in a few years I hope he is third pair/healthy scratch material.

He has a potentially bright future and I’m glad they have him, but he’s going to have his ups and downs regardless. How long until Quinn has to scratch his ass?

Agree with this completely. Reminds me of the Vesey situation from a few years ago.

Well obviously.

But he doesn't even have to shit the bed to be surpassed by ADA or Fox.

ADA has been around for few years. he has shown talent but overall his body of work isn't that impressive. to think he will surpass Trouba is a stretch

Fox hasn't played a game yet.

He has a potentially bright future and I?m glad they have him, but he?s going to have his ups and downs regardless. How long until Quinn has to scratch his ass?

That?s true, but he?s had an absolutely outstanding college career as a ppqb.

And Trouba really isn?t particularly special as a qb so context is important here. I think it?s entirely possible AdA and, as I said, possibly Fox are both better suited to run pp1 and if so that?s totally fine.

They don?t want to McD him either.

He?s going to play on the 1st pair. He?s going to play pk1. Does he really need to be pp1 as well?

I also think AdA and quite possibly Fox are better pp qb?s anyway.

Then we probably overpaid by about $2 million.

Then we probably overpaid by about $2 million.

I’d say about 1.25

Ideally he should be making under 7. If he’d have gotten $50 million over 7 years, I’d have lived with it.

Again, I’m happy to have him, but not sure how this works out.

That’s true, but he’s had an absolutely outstanding college career as a ppqb.

And Trouba really isn’t particularly special as a qb so context is important here. I think it’s entirely possible AdA and, as I said, possibly Fox are both better suited to run pp1 and if so that’s totally fine.

Totally agree

He has the appropriate skill set and a history of success in that area, so I have no issue with anyone projecting him to be that guy in that roll.

But if he proves to be a liability in his own end, or when he goes through the inevitable ups and downs of being a rookie defenseman in the NHL, what does that do to his confidence, playing time, PP time, and his standing in the eyes of the coaching staff?

• 4 weeks later...

NHL Top 20 Defensemen

15. Jacob Trouba, New York Rangers

Trouba had his most productive season in the NHL in 2018-19, when he had 50 points (eight goals, 42 assists) for the Winnipeg Jets, including 18 on the power play after he had 20 in his first five NHL seasons combined. The 25-year-old was traded to New York on June 17 and agreed to a seven-year contract July 19.

Brent Burns is a terrific example of a defenseman that can explode when receiving PP time. Very Trouba-like numbers prior to breaking out at age 29, which aligns with when he began to get a lot of PP time.

Burns played 23:00 per night and led all defensemen in PP Time by a mile (3:09) in Minnesota in 2007-08.

The point is that it's not simply TOI that leads to production.

It was also his 4th year.....

Hmm. I stand corrected. I didn't know evolving-hockey only goes back to 2007 and I assumed it was his rookie year.

I never said TOI was the only indicator, but there is a correlation with points produced and PP time. 07-08 was by far his best year at that point, but he was still young.