• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

Phil

The reilly and Mcdonagh comparisons doesnt make sense at all.

Im not sure what unrealistic hopes you have if you dont like this. Both the trade to aquire him (got rid of Pionk ffs) and the contract (he would get atleast 9 mill as a ufa, probably more) and he’s signed years 25-32. Could have saved 0,5m, but its still a really solid contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don’t hate the deal. However saying what he could get doesn’t make it a good deal. It just means some jackass will sign him to a bad deal. Nobody gives a shit that shattenkirk could have got more years ago. Today he’s just a bad contract that strangles your team. Some other gm avoided that mistake because shattenkirk left more money on the table to come here. It’s all about placing a value on a player and if the player is priced out of that value you don’t acquire him in the first place or you trade them and get assets back. Being cap savy is what makes a team a perennial contender first and foremost

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You’re concerned over DelZotto 2.0?

He doubled DZs junior numbers, and didn't follow Tavares around the OHL. He's more talented offensively. He may also not break camp with them and never play again, but the ceiling is high in my mind.

• Like 1

Though I can't bring myself to believe that, that is how it looks. "Hey, these two premium guys are available, let's shoe horn them in, re-build over".

I'll reserve judgement until we see what happens in regards to making space. If it's trading more young, controllable pieces away, like Deangelo, I'll start to sour.

DeAngelo isn't very controllable. If he is, this is probably their last shot at it given he's not yet arbitration-eligible.

Deal is higher than most of us hoped for... yet exactly in the ballpark in every way (term, money, trade protection) of what was projected and speculated.

$8 million is high. He’s now among the leagues 5 or 6 highest paid defensemen. But he’s only 25. He’s RH. He’s coming off his best season. And the cap will go up and others will make more.

All in all, right now, it looks pretty good.

The modern-day gaborik Wikipedia day would be hounding a guy like deangelo I’m twitter that he got traded.

Imagine the panic if 50 people hit him up on Twitter with the same fake trade

I remember when they first announced the Gaborik signing and some jackass transposed term and payment, and I was like "holy shit, we got 7 years of Gaborik for 5m/year?"

So this d-man in his prime that we signed is better than the D-man in his prime that we traded away because we were too scared to resign him?

The reason we didn't want him re-signed is because he wasn't what he was, he had a long list of injuries, and Trouba is younger than Mac was. Those 3 factors are reason enough as to why he wasn't re-signed and is a bad comparison to Trouba.

The term is fine. At 25, a seven year deal means he’ll be only 32 at end of deal, which is fine. No one should be upset about that.

Questions though are whether or not he’s truly worth the $8 million per year and whether or not he’s really a top pairing guy. All the numbers say he’s on the cusp of top pairing and second pairing

But he might be able to take another step up in his game.

I think they believe he will or they wouldn’t have acquired him and paid him

And so are you by comparing a contract from 2016 to one in 2019.

Well, herp derp not really the case.

This guy makes $250k less per year than OEL, who signed last year. OEL, Trouba is not.

[And please don't show me the one year Trouba hit 50 points playing with the stud forward corp that Winnipeg has...just look at who OEL plays with]

Well, herp derp not really the case.

This guy makes $250k less per year than OEL, who signed last year. OEL, Trouba is not.

[And please don't show me the one year Trouba hit 50 points playing with the stud forward corp that Winnipeg has...just look at who OEL plays with]

OEL had half the penalty kill minutes and almost double the PP minutes last year. We can talk about team talent, which is certainly valid, but let's not act like there is some monumentally wide gap between the two players. I'm not going to say I would rather have Trouba right now, because I wouldn't, but ask me again in 2 years when Trouba is 27 and OEL is 30. I think the contract separation between OEL and Trouba appropriately represents the gap between them and it's more than just the AAV. OEL got an extra year, more $$$, carried through to age 35 instead of 32 like Trouba (27-35 covers more non-prime years than 25-32), and has a full NMC the entirety of the contract. I don't know how large you think the gap is, but that's appropriate IMO.

OEL had half the penalty kill minutes and almost double the PP minutes last year. We can talk about team talent, which is certainly valid, but let's not act like there is some monumentally wide gap between the two players. I'm not going to say I would rather have Trouba right now, because I wouldn't, but ask me again in 2 years when Trouba is 27 and OEL is 30. I think the contract separation between OEL and Trouba appropriately represents the gap between them and it's more than just the AAV. OEL got an extra year, more $$$, carried through to age 35 instead of 32 like Trouba (27-35 covers more non-prime years than 25-32), and has a full NMC the entirety of the contract. I don't know how large you think the gap is, but that's appropriate IMO.
Not clear on what the PP PK time has to do with anything and probably the most random stat to make a point with.

There's a pretty big gap between those players, put it this way... Trouba wasn't the best defenseman in his team last year, but put OEL on Winnipeg and he would be.

Add in that OEL got paid for consistent production and we paid for one great year from Trouba.

Not clear on what the PP PK time has to do with anything and probably the most random stat to make a point with.

There's a pretty big gap between those players, put it this way... Trouba wasn't the best defenseman in his team last year, but put OEL on Winnipeg and he would be.

Add in that OEL got paid for consistent production and we paid for one great year from Trouba.

You generally score more on the PP than the PK. Trouba still outscored OEL.

You generally score more on the PP than the PK. Trouba still outscored OEL.
Oh, you're still talking about the ONE year that happened. Got it.

It's cool if you're OK paying for one great year, I'm just not. That's all.

During that span OEL has 275 points, and Trouba has 175

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes and even strength OEL has 127 points in 479 games and Trouba has 121 in 408 games, which is my point about PP time. OEL has had the minutes and opportunity to do damage on the PP. Trouba didn't really get that opportunity until last season, and he still only got close to half the PP time that OEL received (165 min vs. 276 min).

It doesn't mean Trouba is guaranteed to repeat production even with a repeat in PP time or with a new team, but based on the numbers he is not that far behind OEL.

Well we've already established he's OK for paying for one year of good Trouba.

No. I've already stated I thought the contract came in a little high. I think OEL's is a bit high too. What we've established though is that you are wrong about there being a big gap between Trouba and OEL.

No. I've already stated I thought the contract came in a little high. I think OEL's is a bit high too. What we've established though is that you are wrong about there being a big gap between Trouba and OEL.

Does it matter that Arizona has been terrible with a terrible roster while Winnipeg has been one of the best teams in the league with loads of offensive talent?

Well if that makes you feel good, then fine. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. We've already read some comments from Western conference GMs saying that Trouba is a bit overrated.

But let's say he's not.

My point is we just made him one of the highest paid D in the league when he's only had one year of 50pt play.

He's missed games, had bad years, and had mostly played behind Buff... This year... Well I have less faith in players who have career year in contract years.

Does it matter that Arizona has been terrible with a terrible roster while Winnipeg has been one of the best teams in the league with loads of offensive talent?

I wasn't aware that an 86 point team was terrible, but I'm not sure where I've said that team talent doesn't matter. Pretty sure I said the exact opposite a few posts up.