• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

Phil

Again. Name me 31 Dmen who are better. Name 20 who are better...

This "not a #1 dman" thing is beyond old. By what criteria are you basing this off of?

The "name me 31 BETTER d men" is old.

You're over simplifying a complex conversation.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually a great way to look at it.

Not really. Morgan Reilly signed his contract out of his ELC, and it takes him to free agency. He had no arb rights, no inflated QO, no 50 point seasons, nothing to back that deal up.

This is like Trouba's fourth or fifth contract, second or third time in arb, a higher QO, at least 1 50 point season, etc.

FWIW, Morgan Reilly is going to be the highest paid defender in the NHL when he's off that deal.

• Like 1

You're giving Trouba 20% more money than Morgan Reilly, who is 10 times the player.

This is actually a great way to look at it.

I mean Rielly signed 3 years ago for 7% of the cap. He had just turned 22 and will be a UFA at 28.

Rangers have Trouba at 9.82% of the cap locked up until age 32.

What will Rielly be making for ages 28 through 32? And that contract will last until he is 35.

Why would you give up two good assets, only to buy out and arb year and STILL pay top bean *and* hand out a NMC too.

I don't get it. I don't see much value here. This isn't the guy I'm building a defense around, and at that price, that's exactly the case. Why not bridge him?

To what? He's a year away from free agency. They just bought six years. If you don't think Jacob Trouba was getting $8 million minimum on the open market next summer, you're just wrong. He'd probably flirt with $10 million given percentage of cap + rising revenue.

• Like 1

You're giving Trouba 20% more money than Morgan Reilly, who is 10 times the player.

Who signed in 2016, at the age of 22, not 25, and accounted for 7% of the cap at the time. The Leafs also bought just one year of UFA from him. Not six.

They don't compare. You guys are looking at players in a vacuum, which they don't exist in. Markets shift every summer.

I mean Rielly signed 3 years ago for 7% of the cap. He had just turned 22 and will be a UFA at 28.

Rangers have Trouba at 9.82% of the cap locked up until age 32.

What will Rielly be making for ages 28 through 32? And that contract will last until he is 35.

Bingo.

So this d-man in his prime that we signed is better than the D-man in his prime that we traded away because we were too scared to resign him?

Pionk is to Trouba as a bicycle is to a Ford F150. Just because it has wheels doesn't make it a comparable.

So this d-man in his prime that we signed is better than the D-man in his prime that we traded away because we were too scared to resign him?

Trouba is 5 years younger and right handed (which seeems harder to find), although you make a good point.

Trouba is 5 years younger and right handed (which seeems harder to find), although you make a good point.

It’s a very good point and kind of goes to whoever is saying they don’t have a plan. It’s kind of like throw shit at a wall and see what sticks

It?s a very good point and kind of goes to whoever is saying they don?t have a plan. It?s kind of like throw shit at a wall and see what sticks

Though I can't bring myself to believe that, that is how it looks. "Hey, these two premium guys are available, let's shoe horn them in, re-build over".

I'll reserve judgement until we see what happens in regards to making space. If it's trading more young, controllable pieces away, like Deangelo, I'll start to sour.

Though I can't bring myself to believe that, that is how it looks. "Hey, these two premium guys are available, let's shoe horn them in, re-build over".

I'll reserve judgement until we see what happens in regards to making space. If it's trading more young, controllable pieces away, like Deangelo, I'll start to sour.

DeAngelo is a terrible defender in his own zone who has a knack for offense. He also lived in the doghouse because of maturity level. I wouldn't lose sleep if he's an odd man out.

• Like 1

You?re concerned over DelZotto 2.0?

The reilly and Mcdonagh comparisons doesnt make sense at all.

Im not sure what unrealistic hopes you have if you dont like this. Both the trade to aquire him (got rid of Pionk ffs) and the contract (he would get atleast 9 mill as a ufa, probably more) and he?s signed years 25-32. Could have saved 0,5m, but its still a really solid contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk