• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Oilers Trade Milan Lucic to Flames for James Neal

Phil

Truth, this is just crap for crap.

Both are gambling, but Neal probably returns to form faster than Luc.

This this is all about Johnny getting protection.

Neal can still skate. It's a win for the Oilers.

If Lucic can be traded I don't see how the Rangers can't trade Shattenkirk somehow.

Completely different circumstances. Brooks has said repeatedly that there's no market for Shattenkirk except in the event they take back an onerous contract like the Oilers just did here.

Completely different circumstances. Brooks has said repeatedly that there's no market for Shattenkirk except in the event they take back an onerous contract like the Oilers just did here.

Not that you want to think of it exactly like that, but Shattenkirk is at least an average defender per Corsi.

I think there's got to be a team out there with a need for a PPQB and mid-level defense at, say, 4.5m.

Not that you want to think of it exactly like that, but Shattenkirk is at least an average defender per Corsi.

I think there's got to be a team out there with a need for a PPQB and mid-level defense at, say, 4.5m.

There isn't. Not anymore. That window, if it ever existed, closed up tighter than a snare drum when TOR traded for Barrie.

One of the guys at The Athletic suggested this trade might happen a couple of weeks back, and was absolutely torched by Flames fans in the comments. I bet they’re happy now.

I really don’t like this trade from a Flames perspective. Feels like a knee jerk reaction from being dumped out early, watching the Blues win and deciding they needed to “get tougher”.

It’s a no brainer for the Oilers though. Lucic wasn’t doing anything there, and it’s 100% worth gambling on Neal rediscovering his game on the wing of either McDavid or Draisaitl.

When a head scratcher deal happens, any deal really, there's always backstory.

Wouldn't be surprised if Neal complained about his experience in Calgary, and Calgary turned around and said... "Oh yea? Try this in for size..."

No real winners or losers here.

I think Neal has a bit more potential to produce near his contract value.

Maybe Calgary needed a shot of leadership or whatever the hell it is Lucic brings.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I can only guess here, but I think their idea is that Neal wasn't cracking their top 6 in a month of Sundays, and Lucic might add a bit of physicality and snarl to their bottom 6 that they've been lacking. Not that I necessarily agree with it, but if I had to guess that's what I'd go for.

The one thing I think Calgary can offer that Edmonton can't re: Lucic is a better team overall, which can allow them to stash him down the lineup with better results. He'll be a drag regardless, but the quality of Calgary's depth is superior, which can at least somewhat mitigate his negative impact. Maybe.

The deal also includes a conditional 3rd for the Flames if Neal outscores Lucic by 10 goals, which seems like a pretty good bet to happen.

what kind of a condition is that? feels like two friends making a bet on whose favorite player scores more goals