• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin Critical of Putin in Russian Interview

Phil

The New York Rangers winger said that he was worried about the president's ability to discern good from bad and a potential removal of term limits in Russia's highest office.

Formerly a supporter of the president, Panarin said he thought that too many people had Putin's ear.

"It seems to me that it is already psychologically not so easy for him to soberly assess [a] situation, because there are many people who lead him to decisions," Panarin said (through a Google translation).

While the Russian Constitution officially sets a limit of two consecutive terms, Putin is now in his third (nonconsecutive) term and parliament has indicated a desire to amend the Constitution to allow Putin to continue to hold office after this term is set to end in 2024. Panarin said his time in the US has made him appreciate the two-term limit at the White House.

During the interview, the 27-year-old winger went to great pains to indicate that anything he had to say was simply his opinion, but felt that Russians showed too much deference to Putin.

"Even if I am mistaken, I speak sincerely and with good intentions," Panarin said. "Our mistake is that we treat him like a superman. But he is the same as we and, in theory, serves us."

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-winger-artemi-panarin-criticizes-vladimir-putin-in-russian-interview-1.1339095

--

As if I couldn't love this many any more... :worship:

If Panarin is going to say things that result in Putin "clearing some cap space" for us, I'd prefer that he wait until he's in year 5 or 6 of the contract and is starting to decline. I think Staal, Namestnikov, Smith and Shattenkirk should be good teammates and chime in in support of Panarin and against Putin.

Panarin should avoid going outside on rainy days due to the risk of getting stuck with an umbrella. Actually, radioactive material is Putin's current favorite.

In all seriousness, I sympathize with Panarin but I hope he hushes up. This could create distractions we don't need. There's a reason that I can't recall any Russian NHL player speaking out against the regime over the past 20 years. He needs to keep his picture of Boris Yeltsin quietly concealed in his locker, as Jagr did in high school with his photo of Ronald Reagan.

Athletes should just play

I don't agree. Why can't an athlete have an opinion but any shlub with a twitter can have an opinion?

People always rag on athletes for canned answers until they give a legitimate answer and then they're ragged on for that too.

I don't agree. Why can't an athlete have an opinion but any shlub with a twitter can have an opinion?

People always rag on athletes for canned answers until they give a legitimate answer and then they're ragged on for that too.

I think people should stay away from twitter, facebook all together, especially if you're any kind of celebrity. its nothing but trouble.

I think people should stay away from twitter, facebook all together, especially if you're any kind of celebrity. its nothing but trouble.
I agree that athletes, like all others, have every right to publicly express their honest opinions on a wide range of topics including politics, religion, and the opposite sex. I also agree that doing so is fraught with peril for local stature and job security.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk