• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Salary-Cap Hell the Rangers are Still Trying to Navigate

Phil

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but in the meantime it's beginning to appear like they'll have to paper over their sins with a buyout(s), or, dump some cheaper, controllable, guys like Deangelo or Buchnevich to make room for the new shiny toys.

Yup. It’s wash rinse repeat. 1 cup every 100 years doing the same god damn thing

Trouba contract isn’t half as bad as the other big one they gave out. Good defenseman cost big bucks and while it’s an overpay it’s possible he comes close to meeting its value. Panarin at the second highest paid guy in the league will never match value. It was a loser once the ink dried and it will be worse once this team shows how many holes they still have and no money to address them.

Trouba contract isn’t half as bad as the other big one they gave out. Good defenseman cost big bucks and while it’s an overpay it’s possible he comes close to meeting its value. Panarin at the second highest paid guy in the league will never match value. It was a loser once the ink dried and it will be worse once this team shows how many holes they still have and no money to address them.

:rofl:

Trouba contract isn?t half as bad as the other big one they gave out. Good defenseman cost big bucks and while it?s an overpay it?s possible he comes close to meeting its value. Panarin at the second highest paid guy in the league will never match value. It was a loser once the ink dried and it will be worse once this team shows how many holes they still have and no money to address them.

Wait, you don?t like the Panarin deal?

• Like 1

As soon as we get redden, sorry Gomez sorry drury sorry Richards sorry Dan Boyle sorry girardi sorry Staal sorry Smith sorry shattenkirk off the roster. Going forward everything will be fine. The rangers never get burned by long term deals.

You act like we never had competitive seasons with some of those rosters.

• Like 1

I act like I want to do if differently because what’s been done in the past doesn’t work. Success is a cup. Bring competitive is great but at some point it needs to culminate in a championship. That’s the goal unless I’m missing something

The thing that you're missing is that Trouba is 25 years old. It's actually a major factor in this signing.

• Like 1

Sure, but in the meantime it's beginning to appear like they'll have to paper over their sins with a buyout(s), or, dump some cheaper, controllable, guys like Deangelo or Buchnevich to make room for the new shiny toys.

I mean, DeAngelo may not be long for the team regardless. There's only so much money to go around and the Panarin/Trouba deals (rightfully) have forced the front office into a position where they can no longer overpay marginal players. If Fox is who he is supposed to be, isn't he younger, better DeAngelo, anyway?

I'd imagine Plan A is some combination of trading Kreider for futures + at least one of Strome or Namestnikov for no money back (say Colorado for Bowers?). Plan B, in the event some significant portion of A is unsuccessful, is a buyout(s) of Smith/Shattenkirk.

Then next summer, buyout the final year of Staal.

I act like I want to do if differently because what’s been done in the past doesn’t work. Success is a cup. Bring competitive is great but at some point it needs to culminate in a championship. That’s the goal unless I’m missing something

This is a really binary, overly simplistic way of looking at it. If you're flying a plane, and your altimeter says you're losing altitude at 50 feet per second, that's probably fine and very navigable. If you're 20 feet off the ground, it's a disaster.

There's a pretty good argument that the Rangers were horrendously unlucky to have not won a cup in the cap era thus far, especially in the late Torts/early AV years. What were they missing? They had gamebreaking talent at multiple positions, they had strong defense, they had the best keeper in the world, they were always "in the game". They won Presidents trophies, conference titles, divisions, even some individual awards. Was it...timing? Circumstance? Luck? Running into a pair of teams with slightly wider open windows (LA, TB)?

Can't add those to your roster, but if you figure it out, pass on the secret. And, may as well let San Jose and Vancouver know too; they're probably equally unlucky.

This is a really binary, overly simplistic way of looking at it. If you're flying a plane, and your altimeter says you're losing altitude at 50 feet per second, that's probably fine and very navigable. If you're 20 feet off the ground, it's a disaster.

There's a pretty good argument that the Rangers were horrendously unlucky to have not won a cup in the cap era thus far, especially in the late Torts/early AV years. What were they missing? They had gamebreaking talent at multiple positions, they had strong defense, they had the best keeper in the world, they were always "in the game". They won Presidents trophies, conference titles, divisions, even some individual awards. Was it...timing? Circumstance? Luck? Running into a pair of teams with slightly wider open windows (LA, TB)?

Can't add those to your roster, but if you figure it out, pass on the secret. And, may as well let San Jose and Vancouver know too; they're probably equally unlucky.

It’s not simplistic it’s just the facts. Chalk it up to luck, mismanagement of the team when they reached contender status shortening their window, or whatever fact is it didn’t end with accomplishing the goal. If you’d goal is to be entertained and be competitive they unquestionably did both. At some point though after nearly a century of always chasing the top free agent would it be crazy to think that maybe there might be a better way, especially in the cap era. It’s not to say you can’t ever sign a guy but do they really even know what they have right now? It only matters because when things materialize they are very constrained with the moves they can make due to the cap. If Kakko and Kravtsov meet their expectations then I’m not sure the money spent on panarin wouldn’t be better spent elsewhere, like center or defense.

While Anthopolous was the Jay's GM, he, and Ricciardi before him, had a no Scott Boras policy. If I was Gorton I wouldn't even look at another Overhardt client.

Those Jays teams won so many titles its a mythology most teams should have employed....

Oh.... wait...