Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Marner Watch 2019

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    no bets are off. Shanny will get crucified in Toronto if he lets Marner walk. it would be a career ending mistake in shanny lets it happen

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    He can't "walk." He's a restricted free agent. The best they can hope for, a la the OP, is an offer sheet (which won't come). The only alternatives are waiting it out (Nylander), or trading him.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    walk...I meant losing him. I understand he's not a UFA

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Thanks Paul.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Good for Marner. There's no way he should get less than Matthews. He shoud get at least the same contract.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Good for Marner. There's no way he should get less than Matthews. He shoud get at least the same contract.
    I mean... in a vacuum, sure. Unfortunately we don't live in one. There are different circumstances with every team and it's clear that the leafs are in some cap trouble. Is it okay to take slightly less than Mathews? I think so.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I mean... in a vacuum, sure. Unfortunately we don't live in one. There are different circumstances with every team and it's clear that the leafs are in some cap trouble. Is it okay to take slightly less than Mathews? I think so.
    They should have made him a priority rather than signing a bunch of mid range players to out themselves where they are.

They should have made him a priority rather than signing a bunch of mid range players to out themselves where they are.
    But....they didn't. And here we are.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    But you also need to fill a roster. You can't have 5 good players and 19 garbage men. Top heavy teams do not win.

Honestly, it seems to be becoming more and more obvious that this group of three (Nylander, Marner, and Matthews) won't be able to stick together forever. I'd seriously consider trading one of Marner or Nylander for an ace defender.
    GORTON 2020

Moderator Junior Division
    Top heavy teams do not win.
    The back-to-back Cup champion Penguins say hello.

Even the Blues' playoff scoring was ridiculously top heavy. If you have a dynamic top 6, then you just need a bottom 6 who can PK and not fuck it up. That's not expensive.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The back-to-back Cup champion Penguins say hello.

Even the Blues' playoff scoring was ridiculously top heavy. If you have a dynamic top 6, then you just need a bottom 6 who can PK and not fuck it up. That's not expensive.
    I think that was the model Toronto was aiming for. That got thrown out the window with the Draisaitl deal and the subsequent Nylander holdout. Doubly so now that Toronto capitulated to the Draisaitl model twice (Nylander and Matthews).

Toronto's wisest move is the 3 year bridge deal at this point. You'll get the big three together for three more years, and at that point you'll be staring down a much larger cap due to the upcoming TV deal (provided the NHL doesn't...you know, NHL it up). If Marner proves to be worth it, pay him or move Nylander.

Writ large, the NHL and NHLPA clearly need a better model for young players and their contracts, and possibly a lower duration limit on contracts.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    What is this TV deal I keep hearing about? Is it the US deal? With who?

The next Canadian deal will be a fraction of the current one, so factor that in, too. Rogers has lost their shirt on the current deal, and only CTV (TSN) could bid against them, and they're not going to pony up the same money Rogers did.

Where is this TV money coming from?

But you also need to fill a roster. You can't have 5 good players and 19 garbage men. Top heavy teams do not win.

Honestly, it seems to be becoming more and more obvious that this group of three (Nylander, Marner, and Matthews) won't be able to stick together forever. I'd seriously consider trading one of Marner or Nylander for an ace defender.
    Sure, but they could have made it work by signing Marner first. They gave out like 11 million to sign Ceci, Johnssen, and Kapanen. Why should Marner bend because they fucked up with choosing who to give money to?

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I think that was the model Toronto was aiming for. That got thrown out the window with the Draisaitl deal and the subsequent Nylander holdout. Doubly so now that Toronto capitulated to the Draisaitl model twice (Nylander and Matthews).
    I'm confused, why does the Draisaitl deal matter?

I think they're biggest problem was not trading Nylander, but I don't see why Draisaitl matters there?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    What is this TV deal I keep hearing about? Is it the US deal? With who?

The next Canadian deal will be a fraction of the current one, so factor that in, too. Rogers has lost their shirt on the current deal, and only CTV (TSN) could bid against them, and they're not going to pony up the same money Rogers did.

Where is this TV money coming from?
    Idk about Canada, but the US NBC deal ends after the 2021-22 season. The next one will go way up from $200m/year.

Senior Member Midget Division
    canadians don't care about hockey dunny

i hope toronto starts off slow and babcock feels the heat.
    Acqua in bocca

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Idk about Canada, but the US NBC deal ends after the 2021-22 season. The next one will go way up from $200m/year.
    Maybe so, but the Canadian deal will decrease probably more than the US one will increase. That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Maybe so, but the Canadian deal will decrease probably more than the US one will increase. That's my guess.
    Well I doubt it, but, regardless, the deal doesn't end until like 2026.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast