• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Upcoming Season Could Provide New Lias on Life for Rangers? Andersson

Phil

But it does matter.

It's like saying you bought a 500k house for million, but at least you have a house.

when looking back at the draft and maybe what could've been, sure. But in the present, we have a player that can be a solid NHL player. Even if he ends up having third line potential, he can be useful. We just have to get the most out of him

Big year for the Center position to shake out. Would be a bad sign if we are still uncertain and just talking about potential in a year. Hopefully at least 2 of the 3 work out.
Especially more of our younger centers like Howden and Lias. They need to prove that both can be proven top-line centers in the future. If not, we won't be about to know about what they have in terms of proving their potential.

Sent from my LGL43AL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Everyone agrees that Howden showed some very positive flashes early but was then ineffective for the bulk of the season. I don't understand why he was given so much ice time in all situations after proving ineffective for so long. At one point in April, I found myself dumbfounded as to why he was on the ice 6 on 5 down by a goal in the last minute when he had six goals on the season. Quinn was remarkably more lenient with Howden than any other young player, and I am not sure why.
I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Like how the hell was Howden given as much ice time as Strome and Zibs (keeping the conversation on the center position), one of which can really get you some chances in the final moments of the game.

In terms of discipline, we can talk about Quinn's leniency in regards to Howden when the cows come home, but do we really know?

Sent from my LGL43AL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Everyone agrees that Howden showed some very positive flashes early but was then ineffective for the bulk of the season. I don't understand why he was given so much ice time in all situations after proving ineffective for so long. At one point in April, I found myself dumbfounded as to why he was on the ice 6 on 5 down by a goal in the last minute when he had six goals on the season. Quinn was remarkably more lenient with Howden than any other young player, and I am not sure why.
Quinn's use of Howden and Pionk after one was completely gassed and the other had lost most of his confidence presents a pretty big question mark for his "talent development" cred, imo. Both needed much more finely tuned usage, but Quinn just left them out there until they broke. Hopefully, he has more tools to work with this year and can see earlier when kids begin to falter and need some rest and regrouping.

It's also worth noting that Howden, aside from tying Chytil in points for the season with fewer GP and less TOI straight out of juniors, did rally at the end of the year with 8 points in his last 10 games.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think Howden has that NHL player "feel" to him. RG is right though, he was gassed by the end of the season, but I suppose a young player has to go through that in order to hit the next level. If there were playoffs involved, I'd be thinking the usage would have been throttled back a little....maybe a lot!

Howden blocks alot of shots and is decent on faceoffs as well. His 200 ft. game has a little more consistency in comparison to Anderson and Chytil. IMO

Depends on whether you’re an analytics or eye test type of guy. In terms of analytics, Howdens play away from the puck is abysmal. I’m not going to point fingers because Howden is young and the team was shit, but in terms of fancy stats there’s little to support the idea of Howden being a responsible, 200 ft type of guy and certainly not more so than Andersson at this point. He does look like a guy who will develop into one though.

Quinn's use of Howden and Pionk after one was completely gassed and the other had lost most of his confidence presents a pretty big question mark for his "talent development" cred, imo. Both needed much more finely tuned usage, but Quinn just left them out there until they broke. Hopefully, he has more tools to work with this year and can see earlier when kids begin to falter and need some rest and regrouping.

It's also worth noting that Howden, aside from tying Chytil in points for the season with fewer GP and less TOI straight out of juniors, did rally at the end of the year with 8 points in his last 10 games.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quinn's use of Pionk helped inflate his numbers which then led to him being dealt. It also helped get us in position to get the #2 pick. Man's a genius!

Depends on whether you’re an analytics or eye test type of guy. In terms of analytics, Howdens play away from the puck is abysmal. I’m not going to point fingers because Howden is young and the team was shit, but in terms of fancy stats there’s little to support the idea of Howden being a responsible, 200 ft type of guy and certainly not more so than Andersson at this point. He does look like a guy who will develop into one though.

That's the feel I get from him as well, Gravy. He has that "look" of an NHL'er...even if it just looked sometimes like he was wandering around out there. I'm really looking forward to watching these guys all grow into their skin, so to speak. This is going to be a fun season coming up!

Not that I completely disagree with the point, but this is off. It was 6 in his last 10, 0 in his last 3, and 8 in his last 20. He had a 4-game streak with 5 points, but just one goal.

But it does matter.

It's like saying you bought a 500k house for million, but at least you have a house.

But that's not how the NHL draft works. You treating it as if every draft is the same and loaded with stars players. To get two NHL players out of round that only has 9 guys out of 31 guys playing significant NHL minutes, is a near miracle.

To use your house analogy, a 500k house in the sticks is worth a million in the city.

But that's not how the NHL draft works. You treating it as if every draft is the same and loaded with stars players. To get two NHL players out of round that only has 9 guys out of 31 guys playing significant NHL minutes, is a near miracle.

To use your house analogy, a 500k house in the sticks is worth a million in the city.

Sure, in a vacuum. But in a draft where we are seeing it take time for some picks to make their way in the NHL, the Rangers are justifying a pick they always knew had a low ceiling for a 7 by saying he was NHL-ready...which he's not.

Not sure how that's anything other than a whiff. At least it's not a McIlrath-sized whiff.

Not that I completely disagree with the point, but this is off. It was 6 in his last 10, 0 in his last 3, and 8 in his last 20. He had a 4-game streak with 5 points, but just one goal.

Sorry, not sure how that snuck through. Thanks for the correction. Still, it was an offensive upgrade for the final stretch. Was happy to see him finish with signs of life.

Sorry, not sure how that snuck through. Thanks for the correction. Still, it was an offensive upgrade for the final stretch. Was happy to see him finish with signs of life.

Yea, that's why I don't disagree, was just nitpicking lol.

Sure, in a vacuum. But in a draft where we are seeing it take time for some picks to make their way in the NHL, the Rangers are justifying a pick they always knew had a low ceiling for a 7 by saying he was NHL-ready...which he's not.

Not sure how that's anything other than a whiff. At least it's not a McIlrath-sized whiff.

It was at the very least, right now, based on their being some guys on the board with more talent and a higher ceiling, an ill-advised pick.

Too early still to call it a whiff

McIlrath though was an outright whiff from the moment he was drafted

His best attribute was an attribute that has greatly diminished in value

Foolish