Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Season Could Provide New Lias on Life for Rangers’ Andersson

Big year for the Center position to shake out. Would be a bad sign if we are still uncertain and just talking about potential in a year. Hopefully at least 2 of the 3 work out.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Everyone agrees that Howden showed some very positive flashes early but was then ineffective for the bulk of the season. I don't understand why he was given so much ice time in all situations after proving ineffective for so long. At one point in April, I found myself dumbfounded as to why he was on the ice 6 on 5 down by a goal in the last minute when he had six goals on the season. Quinn was remarkably more lenient with Howden than any other young player, and I am not sure why.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Everyone agrees that Howden showed some very positive flashes early but was then ineffective for the bulk of the season. I don't understand why he was given so much ice time in all situations after proving ineffective for so long. At one point in April, I found myself dumbfounded as to why he was on the ice 6 on 5 down by a goal in the last minute when he had six goals on the season. Quinn was remarkably more lenient with Howden than any other young player, and I am not sure why.
    From Thanksgiving to March he was putting up the same points as Andersson. Although, Howden was coming off an injury while Andersson was in Hartford
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Two words: breakfast club.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Sure. I mean you can always cherry pick and say, oh that one guy is better than Andersson, but who cares? A solid NHL player would be very helpful and would go a long way in keeping costs down. It shouldn't matter where he's drafted.
    But it does matter.

It's like saying you bought a 500k house for million, but at least you have a house.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Howden blocks alot of shots and is decent on faceoffs as well. His 200 ft. game has a little more consistency in comparison to Anderson and Chytil. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But it does matter.

It's like saying you bought a 500k house for million, but at least you have a house.
    This seems more of a case of a GM getting lucky in the draft

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    This seems more of a case of a GM getting lucky in the draft
    Probably one of your weaker troll jobs.

It wasn’t a shot at you.
    It’s a statement. If it’s a whole draft - bad pick. Cherry picking a guy out of 215 - luck.

Senior Member Junior Division
    But it does matter.

when looking back at the draft and maybe what could've been, sure. But in the present, we have a player that can be a solid NHL player. Even if he ends up having third line potential, he can be useful. We just have to get the most out of him

#BringZuccsBack Bantam Division rangers02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    Big year for the Center position to shake out. Would be a bad sign if we are still uncertain and just talking about potential in a year. Hopefully at least 2 of the 3 work out.
    Especially more of our younger centers like Howden and Lias. They need to prove that both can be proven top-line centers in the future. If not, we won't be about to know about what they have in terms of proving their potential.

Sent from my LGL43AL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    #KakkoSzn

#BringZuccsBack Bantam Division rangers02's Avatar
    I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Like how the hell was Howden given as much ice time as Strome and Zibs (keeping the conversation on the center position), one of which can really get you some chances in the final moments of the game.

In terms of discipline, we can talk about Quinn's leniency in regards to Howden when the cows come home, but do we really know?

Sent from my LGL43AL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Last edited by rangers02; 07-08-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    #KakkoSzn

Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    They were Lia's saying he was NHL ready.

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quinn's use of Howden and Pionk after one was completely gassed and the other had lost most of his confidence presents a pretty big question mark for his "talent development" cred, imo. Both needed much more finely tuned usage, but Quinn just left them out there until they broke. Hopefully, he has more tools to work with this year and can see earlier when kids begin to falter and need some rest and regrouping.

It's also worth noting that Howden, aside from tying Chytil in points for the season with fewer GP and less TOI straight out of juniors, did rally at the end of the year with 8 points in his last 10 games.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Last edited by RodrigueGabriel; 07-09-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division

I think Howden has that NHL player "feel" to him. RG is right though, he was gassed by the end of the season, but I suppose a young player has to go through that in order to hit the next level. If there were playoffs involved, I'd be thinking the usage would have been throttled back a little....maybe a lot!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    Howden blocks alot of shots and is decent on faceoffs as well. His 200 ft. game has a little more consistency in comparison to Anderson and Chytil. IMO
    Depends on whether you’re an analytics or eye test type of guy. In terms of analytics, Howdens play away from the puck is abysmal. I’m not going to point fingers because Howden is young and the team was shit, but in terms of fancy stats there’s little to support the idea of Howden being a responsible, 200 ft type of guy and certainly not more so than Andersson at this point. He does look like a guy who will develop into one though.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Quinn's use of Howden and Pionk after one was completely gassed and the other had lost most of his confidence presents a pretty big question mark for his "talent development" cred, imo. Both needed much more finely tuned usage, but Quinn just left them out there until they broke. Hopefully, he has more tools to work with this year and can see earlier when kids begin to falter and need some rest and regrouping.

It's also worth noting that Howden, aside from tying Chytil in points for the season with fewer GP and less TOI straight out of juniors, did rally at the end of the year with 8 points in his last 10 games.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Quinn's use of Pionk helped inflate his numbers which then led to him being dealt. It also helped get us in position to get the #2 pick. Man's a genius!

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Depends on whether you’re an analytics or eye test type of guy. In terms of analytics, Howdens play away from the puck is abysmal. I’m not going to point fingers because Howden is young and the team was shit, but in terms of fancy stats there’s little to support the idea of Howden being a responsible, 200 ft type of guy and certainly not more so than Andersson at this point. He does look like a guy who will develop into one though.
    That's the feel I get from him as well, Gravy. He has that "look" of an NHL'er...even if it just looked sometimes like he was wandering around out there. I'm really looking forward to watching these guys all grow into their skin, so to speak. This is going to be a fun season coming up!

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post

Not that I completely disagree with the point, but this is off. It was 6 in his last 10, 0 in his last 3, and 8 in his last 20. He had a 4-game streak with 5 points, but just one goal.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    But it does matter.

But that's not how the NHL draft works. You treating it as if every draft is the same and loaded with stars players. To get two NHL players out of round that only has 9 guys out of 31 guys playing significant NHL minutes, is a near miracle.

To use your house analogy, a 500k house in the sticks is worth a million in the city.
    GORTON 2020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast