• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pavel Buchnevich, Jacob Trouba File for Arbitration

Phil

This is a pretty extreme exaggeration.

There are no Matthews in this draft. Probably no Hughes either. There may be one player compatible to them and Eichel.

The difference in the 2020 draft is there may be 5 players at a top tier where typically there has been only 2-3

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Eh, forgot about Matthews lol. Should have said since him.

I mean I know it's early, but I think you could make a case that, if Hughes and Kakko were drafted in 2020, they could go like 5-6 as easily as 1-2. I don't buy Hughes as some franchise changing player, so maybe that's just a difference in opinion. They're all Eichel, but none of them are McDavid.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, forgot about Matthews lol. Should have said since him.

I mean I know it's early, but I think you could make a case that, if Hughes and Kakko were drafted in 2020, they could go like 5-6 as easily as 1-2. I don't buy Hughes as some franchise changing player, so maybe that's just a difference in opinion. They're all Eichel, but none of them are McDavid.

LaFreniere is a franchise altering player and potentially a generational type talent. Several other guys are looking like they may fit into the franchise altering category as well.

LaFreniere is a franchise altering player and potentially a generational type talent. Several other guys are looking like they may fit into the franchise altering category as well.

He probably is, though it's a little too early to say.

The rest could all be what Eichel was to McDavid though, and that puts them in the same tier as Hughes/Kakko. Still too early and it's all "potentially," but that's why I can't see a team moving a first-rounder any time before the deadline when they know they will be out of the running for one of those top 5-6 picks.

Lafreniere is more like Lecavalier for me, or, Daigle.

Need another season to see where he's at.

Absolutely need another season from him.

But for what it’s worth, he was absolutely the best player in the entire CHL this year. Out producing everyone in just about every category.

Sure, but then was essentially benched when he stepped up a competition level @ the WJC, which is fine, and should even be expected given his age, but what is he, to me he's more the "well rounded" first overall than a McDavid. But it's too early, we all know.

Pre draft: Getting Either Hughes or Kakko will change the Franchise! It's a win/win!

Post draft: Eh, niether are really Franchise altering, would probably go 5th or 6th in 2020.

Are there any people on the face of the earth more bi polar than Rangers fans?

Alex Steen and TJ Oshie are significantly better than Chris Kreider? Nah.

FYI - Steen had his career-high in goals at age 29, and Oshie did it at 30. Neither had broken 30 goals before then, Steen had never broken 25, and the only time Oshie broke 25 was...when he was 29.

"In the mix" is like that 6-10 range. I don't think there's very much difference between a 100-point team and a 90-point team, and they can be right in that range next year.

I was referring to the post where you suggested Kreider could/should have the same career arc as Pavelski and Marleau.

I was referring to the post where you suggested Kreider could/should have the same career arc as Pavelski and Marleau.

A - No, because it was specifically about the contracts

B - Doesn't matter, because I never said he was as good and that's not the point anyway. They're only relevant because they're examples of players who peaked at 29-30 and maintained.

Sure, but then was essentially benched when he stepped up a competition level @ the WJC, which is fine, and should even be expected given his age, but what is he, to me he's more the "well rounded" first overall than a McDavid. But it's too early, we all know.

I totally agree with that assessment.

Pre draft: Getting Either Hughes or Kakko will change the Franchise! It's a win/win!

Post draft: Eh, niether are really Franchise altering, would probably go 5th or 6th in 2020.

Anyone saying Hughes or Kakko would fall that low is probably wrong. The top 3 in 2020 would be those 2 And LaFreniere in some order in all likelihood. Hughes and Kakko are Tier 1 prospects in any draft.

A - yes, that was the post I was referring to lol

B - Marleau peaked in 05/06. But yeah, they’re examples of excellent players who peaked a bit later. There’s a significantly bigger pool of players who didn’t, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Look, for me it comes down to whether a) the Rangers should make decisions based on being as good as possible right now or b) being as good as possible in 3 years time. If you’re an a) guy, you re sign Kreider. I’m a b) guy. In that case, I think you trade him.

B - Marleau peaked in 05/06. But yeah, they’re examples of excellent players who peaked a bit later. There’s a significantly bigger pool of players who didn’t, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Look, for me it comes down to whether a) the Rangers should make decisions based on being as good as possible right now or b) being as good as possible in 3 years time. If you’re an a) guy, you re sign Kreider. I’m a b) guy. In that case, I think you trade him.

No, it wasn't. Not based on what you responded to.

He scored a career high in goals (38) at age 29 in 2008-09. He then did the same thing (44 goals) at age 30 in 2009-10.

Fine. I already know as much. But, like I said, you don't need to discredit/devalue Kreider to have that opinion.

I want to play this out for a second, so bear with.

We've said we want to resolve the Kreider situation before training camp. That seems to be the messaging from the FO. We can resolve either with an extension, or with a trade.

If we go extension - Hayes and Lee probably set Kreider's market in the mid-high 6 range, probably for 6-ish years. We could very well afford that based on next years' cap structure; easily, actually. We have quite literally nobody worth re-signing coming off the books short of Jesper Fast. Kreider's approximately a .66 ppg player; if he doesn't improve at all, he'd be the third highest paid player in that bracket (Jaime Benn, Anders Lee, oddly enough), and overpaid for that bracket on average by around 1.25 million. That's a real rough pill to swallow.

If we go trade - the first question is what exactly we'd want back. If we trade him at this point, I'd reckon we're thinking 1st+prospect, or 2nd+blue chip. If we're going 1st+prospect, we'd at least want to gamble that pick could land us in a lottery spot.

Second, who can actually take him? Top/ideal destinations are almost all cap-strapped, or clearly budgeting that cap for a key RFA.

Third, where does he want to go? The contract includes an 11 team NTC.

So, we'd be looking for a partner who has a bit of a prospect pool, has some reasonably available cap space, and that Kreider actually wants to go to.

That quite literally leaves us with....Colorado, CBJ (though I venture that there's no fucking way Kreider wants to play for Torts), maybe Philly, pending the Provorov/Konecny deals?

It's a hard time to envision either outcome truly working out right now, barring Kreider lowering his ask or a surprise team coming into play.

Anyone saying Hughes or Kakko would fall that low is probably wrong. The top 3 in 2020 would be those 2 And LaFreniere in some order in all likelihood. Hughes and Kakko are Tier 1 prospects in any draft.

This.

Hughes shattered some WJC records, and Kakko as a pre draft player performed at a level at the worlds that?s rarely been seen.

Hughes Kakko and Lafreneie would be a 3 man race for first overall.

The rest of the 2020 draft are a step behind.

This.

Hughes shattered some WJC records, and Kakko as a pre draft player performed at a level at the worlds that’s rarely been seen.

Hughes Kakko and Lafreneie would be a 3 man race for first overall.

The rest of the 2020 draft are a step behind.

Well, this is why I say it's too early. What if Raymond is a .5-.6 PPG player in the SHL at 17? Anton Lundell was a .5 ppg player last year in Liiga (kappo .84), what if he makes a jump? Byfield could score 100+ points as a 17 y.o.

There's no 1-1 comparison to Hughes because there are no US players at the top of the draft, but I don't buy that Kakko/Hughes are in a tier ahead of those guys, based on where they are right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct me if I'm wrong but 3 days after Buchnevich signs or his arbitration case is decided they can buy out 1 or 2 contracts within 48 hours?

Yup. The window opens Monday and closes Wednesday.

I thought the exact same thing when reading this thread. Seems odd unless this site has non Rangers fans.