• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pavel Buchnevich, Jacob Trouba File for Arbitration

Phil

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give Buchnevich a 6 yr/24-27M contract. I'm much more confident about his long term outlook than I was in a guy like Brady Skjei last summer. Buchnevich is trending upwards and Skjei had regressed. I see a solid 25 goal 2nd liner for many years to be honest, and locking that up at 4-4.5M a year is going to be a good thing. Not only is it beneficial for the Rangers, it will be a tradeable contract if needed also.

I'd give Buchnevich a 6 yr/24-27M contract. I'm much more confident about his long term outlook than I was in a guy like Brady Skjei last summer. Buchnevich is trending upwards and Skjei had regressed. I see a solid 25 goal 2nd liner for many years to be honest, and locking that up at 4-4.5M a year is going to be a good thing. Not only is it beneficial for the Rangers, it will be a tradeable contract if needed also.

Panarin

Kravstov

Kappo

Kreider

If Kreider is around, Buch eventually ends up on 3rd line

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

With Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov, Buch is essentially worthless to this team. Hence the 1 year deal for him to show otherwise . And that’s before mentioning the extreme inconsistencies and shortcomings of his game.

• Like 1

Panarin

Kravstov

Kappo

Kreider

If Kreider is around, Buch eventually ends up on 3rd line

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

By the looks of things, I don't think Kreider will be around. Kreider at 6.5 versus Buchnevich at 4-4.5 is actually a tough call. I probably lean Buchnevich in all honesty since he hasn't peaked and his production at 23 isn't even that far off of Kreider's at 28.

With Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov, Buch is essentially worthless to this team. Hence the 1 year deal for him to show otherwise . And that’s before mentioning the extreme inconsistencies and shortcomings of his game.

Well there's 4 wings in the top 6 and you listed 3. I'd say getting an affordable option that can pot 25 goals on the 2nd line would be ideal.

Maybe I'm off here, but can't Buch play both wings? I'm sure there's a stat I'm missing that shows he's stronger on the right if this is your assertion.

As an aside, Kakko is listed as an RW, but had his most productive games as a LW if my memory serves.

Maybe I'm off here, but can't Buch play both wings? I'm sure there's a stat I'm missing that shows he's stronger on the right if this is your assertion.

As an aside, Kakko is listed as an RW, but had his most productive games as a LW if my memory serves.

Quinn tried him on the left and it was a disaster.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/pavel-buchnevich-moving-back-to-right-wing-1.21873417

I dont care which wing anyone plays on. Buchnevich hasnt done enough to earn a contract of any length. Love the kid, but based on inconsistent play and new acquisitions, he needs to prove not to be an afterthought.

I dont care which wing anyone plays on. Buchnevich hasnt done enough to earn a contract of any length. Love the kid, but based on inconsistent play and new acquisitions, he needs to prove not to be an afterthought.

A 2 year bridge deal at around $3 million per would be a fair deal for him at this point.

New acquisitions is good reason to roll the dice to keep cost down. Do you see him being worse than a 20 goal scorer? He scored 21 in 64 last year. If he is willing to sign a longer contract between 4-4.5 per year, it would be a wise gamble. Doesn't have to be 6 years. Could be 4 or 5 as well.

If he signs a 2 year bridge and puts up 25 goals a season, you'll probably be priced out. I mean shit, we are talking about losing Kreider because we don't want to pay him. I see the talent there with Buch, and I saw it in spades the last 2-3 months of the season.

It seems like every day that passes with no news of trades or signings, the Rangers are going to have a more difficult time getting their cap space figured out. It just seems like teams are signing players every day and their cap space gets tighter and tighter. Meaning the options for the Rangers gets really limited to which teams they can make a deal with. Does anybody have a tidbit in the rumor mill? Just seems eerily quiet.

ppoYDFu.jpg

New acquisitions is good reason to roll the dice to keep cost down. Do you see him being worse than a 20 goal scorer? He scored 21 in 64 last year. If he is willing to sign a longer contract between 4-4.5 per year, it would be a wise gamble. Doesn't have to be 6 years. Could be 4 or 5 as well.

If he signs a 2 year bridge and puts up 25 goals a season, you'll probably be priced out. I mean shit, we are talking about losing Kreider because we don't want to pay him. I see the talent there with Buch, and I saw it in spades the last 2-3 months of the season.

I'd like to see him hit 20, but he's done it once in his career. Do I anticipate him getting 1st line minutes? Not really. Maybe until Kakko adjusts. I'd be more likely to bet he plays on the 4th line for half the season than him hitting 20 goals for multiple seasons.

As for Kreider, again, the issue is a bunch of shit contracts handed out to players in hopes they can live up to them. time and time again. They need to stay away from these.

Bridge. I'd rather him price himself out of NY than be saddled with another danger zone contract.

Honestly, I'd go to arbitration and take that deal. Comparable contracts are 1m - 3m, at most.

Kreider and Buch are guys you play on your first line when you don't have Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov.

So may they are top wingers this year, but won't be in 2-3 years. So you can't afford to pay them no like they are top line players just because they have, at a point, played on a shitty team's top line.

• Like 1

I'd like to see him hit 20, but he's done it once in his career. Do I anticipate him getting 1st line minutes? Not really. Maybe until Kakko adjusts. I'd be more likely to bet he plays on the 4th line for half the season than him hitting 20 goals for multiple seasons.

As for Kreider, again, the issue is a bunch of shit contracts handed out to players in hopes they can live up to them. time and time again. They need to stay away from these.

Bridge. I'd rather him price himself out of NY than be saddled with another danger zone contract.

Honestly, I'd go to arbitration and take that deal. Comparable contracts are 1m - 3m, at most.

Buch was 8th on the team in average TOI for forwards, played 62 games, and still put up 20 goals. He's doing it on 3rd line minutes, not 1st line minutes.

I generally agree with your point about danger zone contracts, but I don't think 4-4.5M makes it to that plateau. It's still fairly cheap and a lot easier to move if needed. Once you get to the 5-7M range for average middle 6 players is when it gets hairy.

Kreider and Buch are guys you play on your first line when you don't have Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov.

So may they are top wingers this year, but won't be in 2-3 years. So you can't afford to pay them no like they are top line players just because they have, at a point, played on a shitty team's top line.

I don't think anybody is saying to pay Kreider and Buch like top line players.

Teams with scoring depth all have Kreider comparable contracts on the second and third line line, and a lot of them produce a lot less. Alex Steen ($5.75m) signed at 7.6% of cap . TJ Oshie was at the same number but got a full 8 years. Kreider at $7m, assuming an $83m cap next year, would be at 8.4%. That's not the type of contract that hurts you. Should WPG just let Laine and one of Ehlers/Connor walk because they are on the second line?

Good thing 4-4.5M is not 1st line money.

Buch was 8th on the team in average TOI for forwards, played 62 games, and still put up 20 goals. He's doing it on 3rd line minutes, not 1st line minutes.

I generally agree with your point about danger zone contracts, but I don't think 4-4.5M makes it to that plateau. It's still fairly cheap and a lot easier to move if needed. Once you get to the 5-7M range for average middle 6 players is when it gets hairy.

That seems pretty high for Buch, if he went to arbitration, considering what Dzingel just got (3.375 after back-to-back 20-goal seasons). I don't mind 4x$4m for Buch, but that's higher than you need to go I think.

Good point. That would be even better.

To be fair, you're not going to get Buch for 4 years at that number, Dzingel only got two, but that's a pretty typical bridge.

I like giving Buch 4 years now though so that, when you have guys coming off their ELC, Buch will be an expiring contract who has played some top-6 minutes over the past couple years and will be easy to move. That becomes a lot more difficult if you have to give him 5x$5m in 2021.

To be fair, you're not going to get Buch for 4 years at that number, Dzingel only got two, but that's a pretty typical bridge.

I like giving Buch 4 years now though so that, when you have guys coming off their ELC, Buch will be an expiring contract who has played some top-6 minutes over the past couple years and will be easy to move. That becomes a lot more difficult if you have to give him 5x$5m in 2021.

I'd like to think that by 2021-22, we've had at least one wing that we've brought into the system that can play third line minutes and score 15-20 goals such that we don't have to pay Buch like that if he's not earned it. Else, if we're that crunched and he's really earned the cash, he's good tradebait.

I'd be a fan of a 2 year deal here, though. Keep him RFA at the end of it, but make it a "prove it" deal. I'm fine with a salary structure that bumps up his QO at the end of the deal too (figure a 2y/3m per deal that pays him 1.75 and 4.25).

I'd like to think that by 2021-22, we've had at least one wing that we've brought into the system that can play third line minutes and score 15-20 goals such that we don't have to pay Buch like that if he's not earned it. Else, if we're that crunched and he's really earned the cash, he's good tradebait.

I'd be a fan of a 2 year deal here, though. Keep him RFA at the end of it, but make it a "prove it" deal. I'm fine with a salary structure that bumps up his QO at the end of the deal too (figure a 2y/3m per deal that pays him 1.75 and 4.25).

Agreed to an extent on the first part, but my thought is that Buchnevich has already shown that he is a 15-20 goal scorer and capable of well more than that. He is 24 years old and a solid candidate to get even better. We all saw the progression he made last year (15g, 12A in last 42 games), which is a 30 goal/50+ point pace over a majority of the season. His production sky-rocketed when he received 2nd line-ish minutes. He's the exact kind of talent you try and lock up on the cheaper side while you have the leverage.