Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Anyone Concerned About the Lack of Center Depth?

Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    If either Kravtsov or Kakko lands on a line with Zib and Panarin they will hit 20/20 just by throwing their stick on the ice.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I think people are drastically underestimating Kakko and Kravtsov because we have never had prospects this skilled.
    Kakko yes. Kravstov I'm not sold on. People were sold on Andersson like they are Kravstov. I have mediocre expectations for him. Kakko I'm hoping is an instant game breaker. You go #2 in the draft, you better be something special.

Senior Member Junior Division
    That's not really true. In fact it's the opposite. They are two players that are going to drive the scoring for their line. If they are together they are only carrying one other winger. If they are apart they are carrying 4 other players. Apart also makes it harder for the other team to match up against. If I were Quinn I would 100% start training camp with Kreider/Buch - Zib - Kakko and Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov as my top 6.
    That's what I'm thinking, but I'm pretty sure Quinn has said Panarin is going to play with Zib.

I'm with you. I'd rather take pressure off Chytil and have him play with the game breaker and not stack the odds against him with rookies.

I'd go:
    Kreider - Zib - Kakko
    Panarin- Chytil- Buch/Kravstov
    Namestnikov- Howden- Strome
    Lemieux- Andersson/Nieves- Fast

Man... Id shop Andersson and try to staple him to a bad contract to get any kind of value and cap space. Just no room for him. I keep Strome over him... Then again I thought Spooner was going to be a solid piece last summer.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG LONG LONG TIME FAN's Avatar

We sign a player for 11.6m per and people want to put him on a second line to help Chytl develop. That is not how anyone in the NHL would do it.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Kakko yes. Kravstov I'm not sold on. People were sold on Andersson like they are Kravstov. I have mediocre expectations for him. Kakko I'm hoping is an instant game breaker. You go #2 in the draft, you better be something special.
    How many of the #2 picks in the last 6 or 7 years were “instant game breakers”? The answer is basically only Laine fits that description.
    It’s not impossible that Kakko dominates from the get go, but people should pump the brakes a bit. A 50 point season would be a very good start.

Kakko is a special player. He might still need time, just like Barkov, Eichel and the others. To be fair, if he ends up on a line with Zib and Panarin I do expect him to put up a fair amount of points.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 07-03-2019 at 05:24 PM.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    We sign a player for 11.6m per and people want to put him on a second line to help Chytl develop. That is not how anyone in the NHL would do it.
    It's only the "2nd" line on paper. Panarin would get a ton of PP time anyway.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Except, Crosby's played with a bunch of nobodies his whole career. Matthews and Marner don't play together. Laine and Scheifele don't play together. Kane and Towes don't play together. O'Reilly and Tarasenko don't play together.

Banned Bantam Division
    Ice time is all that matters.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Not a ton of wingers of this caliber taken #2 overall. Kakko is a higher tier than Svechnikov, Reinhart, etc. Most of the top few picks are C/D

When Panarin was a rookie, he was put with Partick Kane. MacKinnon got time with Duchene, Laine got big minutes on the top line. Other guys like Taylor Hall, Yakupov, Eichel etc, didnt have a lot to play with, never had the opportunity to play with highly skilled players their first season in the league. Having the chance to do so is huge for the development of young players.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    How many of the #2 picks in the last 6 or 7 years were “instant game breakers”? The answer is basically only Laine fits that description.
    It’s not impossible that Kakko dominates from the get go, but people should pump the brakes a bit. A 50 point season would be a very good start.

Kakko is a special player. He might still need time, just like Barkov, Eichel and the others. To be fair, if he ends up on a line with Zib and Panarin I do expect him to put up a fair amount of points.
    Past #2 picks have nothing to do with Kakko. Kakko is only a #2 pick because Jack Hughes happened to be born the same year. Eichel scored 54 points on a shit team with no help, that's needing time? Brady Tkachuck was #4 and out scored all 3 picks in front of him in only 71 games.

Past #2 picks have nothing to do with Kakko. Kakko is only a #2 pick because Jack Hughes happened to be born the same year. Eichel scored 54 points on a shit team with no help, that's needing time? Brady Tkachuck was #4 and out scored all 3 picks in front of him in only 71 games.
    I was replying to a post stating that as a #2 pick he should hopefully be an immediate game breaker. Surely what previous #2 picks have been able to do is relevant in that context.
    Both Eichel and Tkachuk did really well in their rookie years, but it’s hard to describe them as immediate game breakers. I don’t get your point re: Hughes, Eichel was only #2 because McDavid was born the same year.
    The point is, he’s special and will be a brilliant player but there’s no real evidence of #2 picks coming in and being immediate game breakers. Again, people shouldn’t be disappointed if Kakko puts up around 50 points in his first season.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I was replying to a post stating that as a #2 pick he should hopefully be an immediate game breaker. Surely what previous #2 picks have been able to do is relevant in that context.
    Both Eichel and Tkachuk did really well in their rookie years, but itís hard to describe them as immediate game breakers. I donít get your point re: Hughes, Eichel was only #2 because McDavid was born the same year.
    The point is, heís special and will be a brilliant player but thereís no real evidence of #2 picks coming in and being immediate game breakers. Again, people shouldnít be disappointed if Kakko puts up around 50 points in his first season.
    People shouldn't expect #1 picks not named McDavid or Crosby to be game breakers.

Both Eichel and Tkachuk did really well in their rookie years, but itís hard to describe them as immediate game breakers. I donít get your point re: Hughes, Eichel was only #2 because McDavid was born the same year.
    The point is, heís special and will be a brilliant player but thereís no real evidence of #2 picks coming in and being immediate game breakers. Again, people shouldnít be disappointed if Kakko puts up around 50 points in his first season.
    The point is that not all #2 picks are created equal. Kakko as a #2 pick is better than Hischer as a #1 pick.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Except, Crosby's played with a bunch of nobodies his whole career. Matthews and Marner don't play together. Laine and Scheifele don't play together. Kane and Towes don't play together. O'Reilly and Tarasenko don't play together.
    These are some of the “nobodies’ Crosby was forced to play with on his line followed by career points. Leclaire (819) Recchi (1533) Hornquist (448) Guerin (856) Kunitz (619) Hossa (1134).

Apparently Quinn has already said it will be Zib and Panarin.

The point is that not all #2 picks are created equal. Kakko as a #2 pick is better than Hischer as a #1 pick.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Whilst true, that has nothing to do with what I was replying to.

These are some of the ďnobodiesí Crosby was forced to play with on his line followed by career points. Leclaire (819) Recchi (1533) Hornquist (448) Guerin (856) Kunitz (619) Hossa (1134).

Apparently Quinn has already said it will be Zib and Panarin.
    That's not even the point. Point was that he doesn't play with Malkin, but since you brought it up...

Leclaire scored all those points before Crosby was 10.
    Recchi scored all those points when Crosby was 5.
    Guerin had 45 points in his full year as a pen.
    Hornqvist is a 50 point player?
    Hossa played 12 games as a pen?
    No one would know who Kunitz is without Crosby.

That's not even the point. Point was that he doesn't play with Malkin, but since you brought it up...

Leclaire scored all those points before Crosby was 10.
    Recchi scored all those points when Crosby was 5.
    Guerin had 45 points in his full year as a pen.
    Hornqvist is a 50 point player?
    Hossa played 12 games as a pen?
    No one would know who Kunitz is without Crosby.

Your claim was that Crosby played with nothing but ‘nobodies’. Obviously incorrect.

Crosby is a center. Malkin is a center. Great point that they were not on the same line.

Like I said. Early indication is Zib and Panarin will play together. Just like most teams do when they have a stud winger and a very good center.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I think we’re going to see a whole bunch of different line combinations this season. But with the additions of McKegg, Panarin, Kakko, and Kravtsov Plus Trouba and Fox, it should be a bit more exciting.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Iím not. Zibanejad is your top center. Put panarin with any of the other centers and he should elevate whomever to at least the production of 60 points. Panarin is a franchise altering player. You donít pay him the second biggest contract in the league next to Mcdavid and not expect him to carry his line and linemates. Lias Anderson should easily put up 60 points with him on his flank.
    Hmmmm, really? 60 points over how many seasons combined?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast