Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: Is Anyone Concerned About the Lack of Center Depth?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Squirt Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    448
    Rep Power
    9
    Just let it play out.

    Chytil may be that guy. Especially if you play him with a couple of talented guys on either side.
    It doesn’t matter heavily this season anyway.

  2. #22
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,557
    Rep Power
    121
    Center and defense are still two huge question marks. If Zib gets hurt that's kinda the whole ball game. Most Cup champs in recent years have that game-breaking #1C. Zib is a viable first line center but not a franchise talent by any means. After him, it's kind of a bad spot to be in where you're waiting for someone to earn second line center rights.

    I think, for me at least, based on a limited showing last season, it's Strome's job to lose for now. Ideally Chytil takes it over with authority by the end of the year, but I'm not comfortable with the status quo currently.
    Hidden Content

    “'Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.” Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Gunnar Stahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    569
    Rep Power
    14
    At the risk of causing a disagreement I do not believe in Andersson at all and have no idea how he warranted a 7th overall pick. Just going by the numbers since he started playing: https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...lias-andersson

    Besides one hot stint on Super Elit there is nothing about him that tells me he can make an impact here. I will agree that numbers don't tell the entire story about a player. But a 7th overall center? I would hope you'd have more to show.

    (Disclaimer: I have zero issue with admitting I am wrong, just stating my opinion off of sheer production. Not bad mouthing anyone who likes him.)
    I don't always back check, but when I do, I follow it up with a nasty wrister from a tight angle. Stay filthy, my friends. Hidden Content

  4. #24
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,604
    Rep Power
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Gotta give it to Chytil/Strome. Ideally its Chytil. Stop-gap is Strome.
    If neither shows they can handle it, and same with Andersson/Howden, it's a target to get next off season.

    At this point, the Rangers have far too many guys that may be able to grow into that role, especially with the influx of skilled wingers, to trade away assets to fill an [imaginary] hole. They're still rebuilding, after all.

    Panarin's points w/Center
    77 - Anisimov 42
    74 - Anisimov 45
    82 -Dubois 48
    87 -Dubois 61


    Put Panarin on Chytil's wing. With Panarin on his wing, you have a great possession player and he’s good defensively, which can take pressure off Chytil
    Just reinforces that Panarin will get his, even if his center is average.

  5. #25
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,604
    Rep Power
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    You're making the assumption that Kreider is traded? I'd hope that if he is, the commodity coming back slots in there. Either way, I'm not all that concerned about the 2c spot this season. I think it'll work itself out one way or another. I'm a little leery with Chytil as a centerman but not so much that he shouldn't get a shot at it. As the roster is currently constructed I'd do something like this (assuming we resign our RFA's):

    Kreider Zib Buch
    Kakko Strome Panarin
    Kravtsov Chytil Names
    Lemieux Howden Lias

    Flip Chytil and Strome at some point but I like the veteran presence of Strome a little more than Chytil early in the season. Maybe flip Lias and Howden as well just to give him a little more of a chance to show what he can/cannot do.
    If Kreider is traded, it's going to be for futures. I'd not expect, nor would I want, a roster player back who'd count against the cap.

  6. #26
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,604
    Rep Power
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Center and defense are still two huge question marks. If Zib gets hurt that's kinda the whole ball game. Most Cup champs in recent years have that game-breaking #1C. Zib is a viable first line center but not a franchise talent by any means. After him, it's kind of a bad spot to be in where you're waiting for someone to earn second line center rights.

    I think, for me at least, based on a limited showing last season, it's Strome's job to lose for now. Ideally Chytil takes it over with authority by the end of the year, but I'm not comfortable with the status quo currently.
    I'd like to see Zib with someone who doesn't disappear for 20+ games every season before we say what he is or isn't. He was damn near P/G.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Myusername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,827
    Rep Power
    43
    Zib broke out big time last season. Think he would have hit a P/G easily if the team wasn't gutted at the deadline and Kreider didn't go on a massive cold streak.

    He's not a franchise center but he's not going to be the reason we don't win a cup

  8. #28
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,346
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Gotta give it to Chytil/Strome. Ideally its Chytil. Stop-gap is Strome.
    If neither shows they can handle it, and same with Andersson/Howden, it's a target to get next off season.

    At this point, the Rangers have far too many guys that may be able to grow into that role, especially with the influx of skilled wingers, to trade away assets to fill an [imaginary] hole. They're still rebuilding, after all.

    Panarin's points w/Center
    77 - Anisimov 42
    74 - Anisimov 45
    82 -Dubois 48
    87 -Dubois 61

    Put Panarin on Chytil's wing. With Panarin on his wing, you have a great possession player and he’s good defensively, which can take pressure off Chytil
    Exactly this.

    Chytil will benefit big time by playing with Panarin. If he falters, the pecking order should be:

    Strome
    Howden
    Andersson
    Namestnikov
    Kaapo
    Kravstov
    Nieves
    Trade

    IMO they have plenty of options at center. 8m concerned about the wing. There's no guarantee Kravstov is anything, and if he's not in a top 9 role he's in Hartford. Is Kaapo definitely going to stick in a top 6 role all year? Buch? Are we going to see Fast playing top 6?

    Way more questions on the wing IMO.

  9. #29
    Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    1
    We got plenty of young Centers. Hopefully one works out. Can’t see Kakko playing C, but Kravtsov seems to have the game for it. No idea on face offs, D, and how much tougher it would make his adjustment.

    Zib should play with Panarin and plug in a young wing. Keeping the most talented together maximizes production.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,677
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Exactly this.

    Chytil will benefit big time by playing with Panarin. If he falters, the pecking order should be:

    Strome
    Howden
    Andersson
    Namestnikov
    Kaapo
    Kravstov
    Nieves
    Trade

    IMO they have plenty of options at center. 8m concerned about the wing. There's no guarantee Kravstov is anything, and if he's not in a top 9 role he's in Hartford. Is Kaapo definitely going to stick in a top 6 role all year? Buch? Are we going to see Fast playing top 6?

    Way more questions on the wing IMO.
    I think people are drastically underestimating Kakko and Kravtsov because we have never had prospects this skilled.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,677
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    We got plenty of young Centers. Hopefully one works out. Can’t see Kakko playing C, but Kravtsov seems to have the game for it. No idea on face offs, D, and how much tougher it would make his adjustment.

    Zib should play with Panarin and plug in a young wing. Keeping the most talented together maximizes production.
    That's not really true. In fact it's the opposite. They are two players that are going to drive the scoring for their line. If they are together they are only carrying one other winger. If they are apart they are carrying 4 other players. Apart also makes it harder for the other team to match up against. If I were Quinn I would 100% start training camp with Kreider/Buch - Zib - Kakko and Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov as my top 6.

  12. #32
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,558
    Rep Power
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I think people are drastically underestimating Kakko and Kravtsov because we have never had prospects this skilled.
    I mean the odds of having two productive top-6 players who are under 20 years old is pretty low, regardless of their skill.

    But long term, it helps mitigate the weakness in the middle. I don't buy Chytil as a C, but I do think one of Howden/Lias can turn into a Kesler-type. That would be good enough playing with talent on the wing.

  13. #33
    Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    That's not really true. In fact it's the opposite. They are two players that are going to drive the scoring for their line. If they are together they are only carrying one other winger. If they are apart they are carrying 4 other players. Apart also makes it harder for the other team to match up against. If I were Quinn I would 100% start training camp with Kreider/Buch - Zib - Kakko and Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov as my top 6.
    We disagree. The only two givens I see with line construction are Zib and Panarin together. Not interested in who they are carrying, want a top line that is producing. That makes it easier for everyone else.

  14. #34
    Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    575
    Rep Power
    40
    Quinn said pretty much outright yesterday that the plan is to put Panarin and Zib together. So speculate with that in mind.

    Also good to remain aware that Chytil was under 39% in faceoff win % last year, which is not a great success rate for a 2C. (Others were Zib (49.7), Howden (48.4), Strome (47.6.), and Andersson (44.2).

  15. #35
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,677
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I mean the odds of having two productive top-6 players who are under 20 years old is pretty low, regardless of their skill.

    But long term, it helps mitigate the weakness in the middle. I don't buy Chytil as a C, but I do think one of Howden/Lias can turn into a Kesler-type. That would be good enough playing with talent on the wing.
    Define productive. Is Kravtsov scoring 20 goals and 40 points productive? There have been plenty of 19/20 year olds hitting those numbers over the last 5 years.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,714
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Define productive. Is Kravtsov scoring 20 goals and 40 points productive? There have been plenty of 19/20 year olds hitting those numbers over the last 5 years.
    I think 20/20 is definitely good going for Kravtsov in his first season. If we can get around 90 points from him and Kakko in their rookie seasons we should be very happy.

    To answer the main question, no. There's no need to worry about depth. The numbers are there in abundance. There could be a lack of quality at 2c, but after the signing of Panarin the 2c should be playing with good wingers which will help a lot. I hope Chytil makes it his own this season, but if he doesn't there are plenty of guys who can step in.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,102
    Rep Power
    30
    Would be sexy to see Zib break 80 points with Panarin, but I would also split them up. Having a player like panarin on the 2nd line is the perfect solution for this 2c «problem». I would even consider playing Panarin with Names as the C on the 2nd line. He’s proven before that he’s good when playing with elite player(s). Put Kravtsov on the other wing so you have a full Russian line, maybe it makes it easier for Kravtsov.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  18. #38
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,142
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Define productive. Is Kravtsov scoring 20 goals and 40 points productive? There have been plenty of 19/20 year olds hitting those numbers over the last 5 years.
    In the last 10 seasons, there have been 65 players to hit 40 points in their rookie seasons.
    Averaging 6.5 per season, to expect 2 to hit that might be overestimating, or having unrealistic expectations.






    Of those 65 players to hit 40 in their rookie season in the past 10 seasons, the Rangers have had 2. Name them.
    For a bonus point, name the Ranger that hit 39 points in his rookie season.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  19. #39
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,677
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    In the last 10 seasons, there have been 65 players to hit 40 points in their rookie seasons.
    Averaging 6.5 per season, to expect 2 to hit that might be overestimating, or having unrealistic expectations.






    Of those 65 players to hit 40 in their rookie season in the past 10 seasons, the Rangers have had 2. Name them.
    For a bonus point, name the Ranger that hit 39 points in his rookie season.
    41 of those rookie were in the last 5 years. So the last 5 seasons that's a little over 8 rookies per year hitting 40 points. Also Kakko and Kravtsov are Kakko and Kravtsov. The fact they are on the same team is a coincidence. The Leafs had Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all hit 60 points as 19/20 year olds in the same year, and they didn't have 2 ppg players to play with.

    Where's the Ballsy prediction thread? Kakko and Kravtsov will combine for 50+ goals, 100+ points, and both be in the top 6 in Calder voting (along with the Hughes brothers and Makar).

  20. #40
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,677
    Rep Power
    105
    and the answer to your question is Stepan and Hayes. Skjei had 39, Del Zotto 37.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •