• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Anyone Concerned About the Lack of Center Depth?

jsm7302

Title says it all. Wings seem to be set, D seems shored up a bit. Losing Hayes (though not particularly a Hayes fan myself) seems to leave a big hole and high hopes that someone can step in and take that role. That 2C spot seems wide open with lofty expectations for Chytil to step in and fill. I feel like it sets him up to be the whipping boy if he cant take that pressure. Seems we have plenty that can slot into the 3rd/4th line center role but do we have the offensive threat to slot into that 2nd line? Thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremely.

But it doesn't matter this year too much, hopefully one of the young ones proves capable. Long term, I think there's a good chance that Zib and Panarin are split up so that each can drive play on a line. That will help compensate for a weaker 2c.

I'm not too concerned. Even with Panarin, I still think we're at least another year from really being considered a contender. Hopeful that one of the young guns steps into that role but if not, I think it can be addressed at the draft (via trade) or during the next off-season. Lot of young guys...gotta keep the expectations for this upcoming season low. Growth year.

Extremely.

But it doesn't matter this year too much, hopefully one of the young ones proves capable. Long term, I think there's a good chance that Zib and Panarin are split up so that each can drive play on a line. That will help compensate for a weaker 2c.

Maybe, yeah. But a lot of this is the Rangers pinning their hopes to one of Chytil or Andersson taking a huge second step.

Not concerned in the long term. I'm confident one of the young players will step up, and it may even come from Kravtsov or Kakko. Both have played center at some point I believe and they might be wild cards.

This year is a different story though. It will probably be a struggle. I would hope by end of the year we have an idea what might be the path forward starting in 2020.

I’m not. Zibanejad is your top center. Put panarin with any of the other centers and he should elevate whomever to at least the production of 60 points. Panarin is a franchise altering player. You don’t pay him the second biggest contract in the league next to Mcdavid and not expect him to carry his line and linemates. Lias Anderson should easily put up 60 points with him on his flank.

I’m not. Zibanejad is your top center. Put panarin with any of the other centers and he should elevate whomever to at least the production of 60 points. Panarin is a franchise altering player. You don’t pay him the second biggest contract in the league next to Mcdavid and not expect him to carry his line and linemates. Lias Anderson should easily put up 60 points with him on his flank.

From your lips to God's ears!

Pretty sure 75% of that post was vitriolic because he can't get over his feelings on the Panarin signing.
Correct, which is why we should ignore it.

Depth isn't the issue. It's one slot that is in doubt, 2C. We've otherwise got 5 centers for 2 slots.

Lias

Howden

Names

Strome

Boo

Not a problem. But in the haste to troll, a good point was made. Players like Panarin and Kakko will make their centers better.

Kravtsov Zib Buch

Kakko Chytil Panarin

Will help.

Swap Kavtsov with Names for now if you'd like to insulate Krav.

Gotta give it to Chytil/Strome. Ideally its Chytil. Stop-gap is Strome.

If neither shows they can handle it, and same with Andersson/Howden, it's a target to get next off season.

At this point, the Rangers have far too many guys that may be able to grow into that role, especially with the influx of skilled wingers, to trade away assets to fill an [imaginary] hole. They're still rebuilding, after all.

Panarin's points w/Center

77 - Anisimov 42

74 - Anisimov 45

82 -Dubois 48

87 -Dubois 61

Put Panarin on Chytil's wing. With Panarin on his wing, you have a great possession player and he’s good defensively, which can take pressure off Chytil

Correct, which is why we should ignore it.

Depth isn't the issue. It's one slot that is in doubt, 2C. We've otherwise got 5 centers for 2 slots.

Lias

Howden

Names

Strome

Boo

Not a problem. But in the haste to troll, a good point was made. Players like Panarin and Kakko will make their centers better.

Kravtsov Zib Buch

Kakko Chytil Panarin

Will help.

Swap Kavtsov with Names for now if you'd like to insulate Krav.

You're making the assumption that Kreider is traded? I'd hope that if he is, the commodity coming back slots in there. Either way, I'm not all that concerned about the 2c spot this season. I think it'll work itself out one way or another. I'm a little leery with Chytil as a centerman but not so much that he shouldn't get a shot at it. As the roster is currently constructed I'd do something like this (assuming we resign our RFA's):

Kreider Zib Buch

Kakko Strome Panarin

Kravtsov Chytil Names

Lemieux Howden Lias

Flip Chytil and Strome at some point but I like the veteran presence of Strome a little more than Chytil early in the season. Maybe flip Lias and Howden as well just to give him a little more of a chance to show what he can/cannot do.

im not really worried about the center position at the moment. This will be a good year to see what kind of strides Lias, Chytl and Howden make. in the meantime Strome is a capable hold the fort guy and down the road I'm really intrigued by what this kind Barron will bring to the table. 6-4 215, hopefully with moves like Jagger.

let it develop and have some patience

Pretty sure 75% of that post was vitriolic because he can't get over his feelings on the Panarin signing.

I’m serious. If panarin is going to put up 90 points somebody has to be on the other end of those points. So you guys can’t move on not me. Panarin on a different line than Zibanejad should be the idea. While maybe not ideal, panarin should be able to elevate a third line center to a second line centers production. Long term of course the position has to be upgraded but for now Anderson or howden should be able to produce at an adequate pace and hopefully surprise on the positive side. I’m buying into the idea that panarin was brought in to help develop these kids because what’s done is done. Do why not let him do exactly that?

Fuck I forgot about chytil. Put him with panarin. Sink or swim time for him. Third year in the league and he now would have a bonafide weapon on his flank that plays with pace, exactly how he likes it. It would be evident pretty quick if chytil is going to be the future. Regardless putting Zibanejad with panarin while dangerous severely limits your line depth and makes this question more relevant. Separating them makes this mostly a moot point.

Center and defense are still two huge question marks. If Zib gets hurt that's kinda the whole ball game. Most Cup champs in recent years have that game-breaking #1C. Zib is a viable first line center but not a franchise talent by any means. After him, it's kind of a bad spot to be in where you're waiting for someone to earn second line center rights.

I think, for me at least, based on a limited showing last season, it's Strome's job to lose for now. Ideally Chytil takes it over with authority by the end of the year, but I'm not comfortable with the status quo currently.

At the risk of causing a disagreement I do not believe in Andersson at all and have no idea how he warranted a 7th overall pick. Just going by the numbers since he started playing: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/214318/lias-andersson

Besides one hot stint on Super Elit there is nothing about him that tells me he can make an impact here. I will agree that numbers don't tell the entire story about a player. But a 7th overall center? I would hope you'd have more to show.

(Disclaimer: I have zero issue with admitting I am wrong, just stating my opinion off of sheer production. Not bad mouthing anyone who likes him.)

Gotta give it to Chytil/Strome. Ideally its Chytil. Stop-gap is Strome.

If neither shows they can handle it, and same with Andersson/Howden, it's a target to get next off season.

At this point, the Rangers have far too many guys that may be able to grow into that role, especially with the influx of skilled wingers, to trade away assets to fill an [imaginary] hole. They're still rebuilding, after all.

Panarin's points w/Center

77 - Anisimov 42

74 - Anisimov 45

82 -Dubois 48

87 -Dubois 61

Put Panarin on Chytil's wing. With Panarin on his wing, you have a great possession player and he’s good defensively, which can take pressure off Chytil

Just reinforces that Panarin will get his, even if his center is average.

You're making the assumption that Kreider is traded? I'd hope that if he is, the commodity coming back slots in there. Either way, I'm not all that concerned about the 2c spot this season. I think it'll work itself out one way or another. I'm a little leery with Chytil as a centerman but not so much that he shouldn't get a shot at it. As the roster is currently constructed I'd do something like this (assuming we resign our RFA's):

Kreider Zib Buch

Kakko Strome Panarin

Kravtsov Chytil Names

Lemieux Howden Lias

Flip Chytil and Strome at some point but I like the veteran presence of Strome a little more than Chytil early in the season. Maybe flip Lias and Howden as well just to give him a little more of a chance to show what he can/cannot do.

If Kreider is traded, it's going to be for futures. I'd not expect, nor would I want, a roster player back who'd count against the cap.