• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Anyone Concerned About the Lack of Center Depth?

jsm7302

How many of the #2 picks in the last 6 or 7 years were “instant game breakers”? The answer is basically only Laine fits that description.

It’s not impossible that Kakko dominates from the get go, but people should pump the brakes a bit. A 50 point season would be a very good start.

Kakko is a special player. He might still need time, just like Barkov, Eichel and the others. To be fair, if he ends up on a line with Zib and Panarin I do expect him to put up a fair amount of points.

Past #2 picks have nothing to do with Kakko. Kakko is only a #2 pick because Jack Hughes happened to be born the same year. Eichel scored 54 points on a shit team with no help, that's needing time? Brady Tkachuck was #4 and out scored all 3 picks in front of him in only 71 games.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Past #2 picks have nothing to do with Kakko. Kakko is only a #2 pick because Jack Hughes happened to be born the same year. Eichel scored 54 points on a shit team with no help, that's needing time? Brady Tkachuck was #4 and out scored all 3 picks in front of him in only 71 games.

I was replying to a post stating that as a #2 pick he should hopefully be an immediate game breaker. Surely what previous #2 picks have been able to do is relevant in that context.

Both Eichel and Tkachuk did really well in their rookie years, but it’s hard to describe them as immediate game breakers. I don’t get your point re: Hughes, Eichel was only #2 because McDavid was born the same year.

The point is, he’s special and will be a brilliant player but there’s no real evidence of #2 picks coming in and being immediate game breakers. Again, people shouldn’t be disappointed if Kakko puts up around 50 points in his first season.

I was replying to a post stating that as a #2 pick he should hopefully be an immediate game breaker. Surely what previous #2 picks have been able to do is relevant in that context.

Both Eichel and Tkachuk did really well in their rookie years, but it?s hard to describe them as immediate game breakers. I don?t get your point re: Hughes, Eichel was only #2 because McDavid was born the same year.

The point is, he?s special and will be a brilliant player but there?s no real evidence of #2 picks coming in and being immediate game breakers. Again, people shouldn?t be disappointed if Kakko puts up around 50 points in his first season.

People shouldn't expect #1 picks not named McDavid or Crosby to be game breakers.

Both Eichel and Tkachuk did really well in their rookie years, but it?s hard to describe them as immediate game breakers. I don?t get your point re: Hughes, Eichel was only #2 because McDavid was born the same year.

The point is, he?s special and will be a brilliant player but there?s no real evidence of #2 picks coming in and being immediate game breakers. Again, people shouldn?t be disappointed if Kakko puts up around 50 points in his first season.

The point is that not all #2 picks are created equal. Kakko as a #2 pick is better than Hischer as a #1 pick.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Except, Crosby's played with a bunch of nobodies his whole career. Matthews and Marner don't play together. Laine and Scheifele don't play together. Kane and Towes don't play together. O'Reilly and Tarasenko don't play together.

These are some of the “nobodies’ Crosby was forced to play with on his line followed by career points. Leclaire (819) Recchi (1533) Hornquist (448) Guerin (856) Kunitz (619) Hossa (1134).

Apparently Quinn has already said it will be Zib and Panarin.

These are some of the ?nobodies? Crosby was forced to play with on his line followed by career points. Leclaire (819) Recchi (1533) Hornquist (448) Guerin (856) Kunitz (619) Hossa (1134).

Apparently Quinn has already said it will be Zib and Panarin.

That's not even the point. Point was that he doesn't play with Malkin, but since you brought it up...

Leclaire scored all those points before Crosby was 10.

Recchi scored all those points when Crosby was 5.

Guerin had 45 points in his full year as a pen.

Hornqvist is a 50 point player?

Hossa played 12 games as a pen?

No one would know who Kunitz is without Crosby.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's not even the point. Point was that he doesn't play with Malkin, but since you brought it up...

Leclaire scored all those points before Crosby was 10.

Recchi scored all those points when Crosby was 5.

Guerin had 45 points in his full year as a pen.

Hornqvist is a 50 point player?

Hossa played 12 games as a pen?

No one would know who Kunitz is without Crosby.

Your claim was that Crosby played with nothing but ‘nobodies’. Obviously incorrect.

Crosby is a center. Malkin is a center. Great point that they were not on the same line.

Like I said. Early indication is Zib and Panarin will play together. Just like most teams do when they have a stud winger and a very good center.

I think we’re going to see a whole bunch of different line combinations this season. But with the additions of McKegg, Panarin, Kakko, and Kravtsov Plus Trouba and Fox, it should be a bit more exciting.

I?m not. Zibanejad is your top center. Put panarin with any of the other centers and he should elevate whomever to at least the production of 60 points. Panarin is a franchise altering player. You don?t pay him the second biggest contract in the league next to Mcdavid and not expect him to carry his line and linemates. Lias Anderson should easily put up 60 points with him on his flank.

Hmmmm, really? 60 points over how many seasons combined?

I think we?re going to see a whole bunch of different line combinations this season. But with the additions of McKegg, Panarin, Kakko, and Kravtsov Plus Trouba and Fox, it should be a bit more exciting.

McKegg, really? Lol

Agree tho, the lines will change a lot this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

In the last 10 seasons, there have been 65 players to hit 40 points in their rookie seasons.

Averaging 6.5 per season, to expect 2 to hit that might be overestimating, or having unrealistic expectations.

Of those 65 players to hit 40 in their rookie season in the past 10 seasons, the Rangers have had 2. Name them.

For a bonus point, name the Ranger that hit 39 points in his rookie season.

Stepan and Skjei? Delzotto?

We sign a player for 11.6m per and people want to put him on a second line to help Chytl develop. That is not how anyone in the NHL would do it.

The Rangers are rebuilding. I don't think it's wise to put a bunch of rookies or inexperienced players on the 2nd line. They are going to make mistakes. Lots of them. Not sure Quinn will put up with that for very long, nor does that help their development.

Zib already has outstanding chemistry with Kreider and Buch. They can produce. That should be a set line. Gotta build another line. That line is going to have to consist of atleast one rookie and one sophomore year player. I'd rather not split up a unit that works, and throw all the proven point producing talent on one line and have such uncertainty on the other scoring line.

I GUESS Kreider could ride shotgun for the kids, and open up the ice for them. I'd just rather see the talent spread out a bit.

How many of the #2 picks in the last 6 or 7 years were “instant game breakers”? The answer is basically only Laine fits that description.

It’s not impossible that Kakko dominates from the get go, but people should pump the brakes a bit. A 50 point season would be a very good start.

Kakko is a special player. He might still need time, just like Barkov, Eichel and the others. To be fair, if he ends up on a line with Zib and Panarin I do expect him to put up a fair amount of points.

That's a strange cut off. Because there's a a bunch in the last 10 years.

Svechnikov

Laine

Eichel

Landeskog

Hedman

Add in Barkov and Seguin who had solid sophomore years and are now big time players..

Well if what those guys did in their rookie seasons is what you’re looking for, then sure.

It’s a bit unusual calling 40-50 point players “game breakers”. Imo only Laine with his 36 goals fit that description in his rookie year. But I guess we’re in agreement because I said we should be happy with a 50 point season, which is significantly better than Svechnikov, Barkov and in line with Eichel, Landeskog etc.

Regarding the center positions with Chytil, Howden and Anderson. Now that they got their rookie seasons out of the way and will probably see guys younger then them on the roster, IMO, all three will see a major step up in their games. They should all be bigger, stronger and faster. Hopefully Chytil will not look like a lost puppy out there this year. Howden will be the one player that will show the most improvement and should showcase his play making ability on a more consistent basis. We saw glimpses of it last season making Zuccish passes and using his hockey iq to be creative. I also liked the fact that Chytil made attempts at his follow up checking towards the end of the season compared to hardly any the first 60 games. So pumped to watch this roster play next season.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk