• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Anyone Concerned About the Lack of Center Depth?

jsm7302

Center and defense are still two huge question marks. If Zib gets hurt that's kinda the whole ball game. Most Cup champs in recent years have that game-breaking #1C. Zib is a viable first line center but not a franchise talent by any means. After him, it's kind of a bad spot to be in where you're waiting for someone to earn second line center rights.

I think, for me at least, based on a limited showing last season, it's Strome's job to lose for now. Ideally Chytil takes it over with authority by the end of the year, but I'm not comfortable with the status quo currently.

I'd like to see Zib with someone who doesn't disappear for 20+ games every season before we say what he is or isn't. He was damn near P/G.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zib broke out big time last season. Think he would have hit a P/G easily if the team wasn't gutted at the deadline and Kreider didn't go on a massive cold streak.

He's not a franchise center but he's not going to be the reason we don't win a cup

Gotta give it to Chytil/Strome. Ideally its Chytil. Stop-gap is Strome.

If neither shows they can handle it, and same with Andersson/Howden, it's a target to get next off season.

At this point, the Rangers have far too many guys that may be able to grow into that role, especially with the influx of skilled wingers, to trade away assets to fill an [imaginary] hole. They're still rebuilding, after all.

Panarin's points w/Center

77 - Anisimov 42

74 - Anisimov 45

82 -Dubois 48

87 -Dubois 61

Put Panarin on Chytil's wing. With Panarin on his wing, you have a great possession player and he’s good defensively, which can take pressure off Chytil

Exactly this.

Chytil will benefit big time by playing with Panarin. If he falters, the pecking order should be:

Strome

Howden

Andersson

Namestnikov

Kaapo

Kravstov

Nieves

Trade

IMO they have plenty of options at center. 8m concerned about the wing. There's no guarantee Kravstov is anything, and if he's not in a top 9 role he's in Hartford. Is Kaapo definitely going to stick in a top 6 role all year? Buch? Are we going to see Fast playing top 6?

Way more questions on the wing IMO.

We got plenty of young Centers. Hopefully one works out. Can?t see Kakko playing C, but Kravtsov seems to have the game for it. No idea on face offs, D, and how much tougher it would make his adjustment.

Zib should play with Panarin and plug in a young wing. Keeping the most talented together maximizes production.

Exactly this.

Chytil will benefit big time by playing with Panarin. If he falters, the pecking order should be:

Strome

Howden

Andersson

Namestnikov

Kaapo

Kravstov

Nieves

Trade

IMO they have plenty of options at center. 8m concerned about the wing. There's no guarantee Kravstov is anything, and if he's not in a top 9 role he's in Hartford. Is Kaapo definitely going to stick in a top 6 role all year? Buch? Are we going to see Fast playing top 6?

Way more questions on the wing IMO.

I think people are drastically underestimating Kakko and Kravtsov because we have never had prospects this skilled.

We got plenty of young Centers. Hopefully one works out. Can’t see Kakko playing C, but Kravtsov seems to have the game for it. No idea on face offs, D, and how much tougher it would make his adjustment.

Zib should play with Panarin and plug in a young wing. Keeping the most talented together maximizes production.

That's not really true. In fact it's the opposite. They are two players that are going to drive the scoring for their line. If they are together they are only carrying one other winger. If they are apart they are carrying 4 other players. Apart also makes it harder for the other team to match up against. If I were Quinn I would 100% start training camp with Kreider/Buch - Zib - Kakko and Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov as my top 6.

I think people are drastically underestimating Kakko and Kravtsov because we have never had prospects this skilled.

I mean the odds of having two productive top-6 players who are under 20 years old is pretty low, regardless of their skill.

But long term, it helps mitigate the weakness in the middle. I don't buy Chytil as a C, but I do think one of Howden/Lias can turn into a Kesler-type. That would be good enough playing with talent on the wing.

That's not really true. In fact it's the opposite. They are two players that are going to drive the scoring for their line. If they are together they are only carrying one other winger. If they are apart they are carrying 4 other players. Apart also makes it harder for the other team to match up against. If I were Quinn I would 100% start training camp with Kreider/Buch - Zib - Kakko and Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov as my top 6.

We disagree. The only two givens I see with line construction are Zib and Panarin together. Not interested in who they are carrying, want a top line that is producing. That makes it easier for everyone else.

Quinn said pretty much outright yesterday that the plan is to put Panarin and Zib together. So speculate with that in mind.

Also good to remain aware that Chytil was under 39% in faceoff win % last year, which is not a great success rate for a 2C. (Others were Zib (49.7), Howden (48.4), Strome (47.6.), and Andersson (44.2).

I mean the odds of having two productive top-6 players who are under 20 years old is pretty low, regardless of their skill.

But long term, it helps mitigate the weakness in the middle. I don't buy Chytil as a C, but I do think one of Howden/Lias can turn into a Kesler-type. That would be good enough playing with talent on the wing.

Define productive. Is Kravtsov scoring 20 goals and 40 points productive? There have been plenty of 19/20 year olds hitting those numbers over the last 5 years.

Define productive. Is Kravtsov scoring 20 goals and 40 points productive? There have been plenty of 19/20 year olds hitting those numbers over the last 5 years.

I think 20/20 is definitely good going for Kravtsov in his first season. If we can get around 90 points from him and Kakko in their rookie seasons we should be very happy.

To answer the main question, no. There's no need to worry about depth. The numbers are there in abundance. There could be a lack of quality at 2c, but after the signing of Panarin the 2c should be playing with good wingers which will help a lot. I hope Chytil makes it his own this season, but if he doesn't there are plenty of guys who can step in.

Would be sexy to see Zib break 80 points with Panarin, but I would also split them up. Having a player like panarin on the 2nd line is the perfect solution for this 2c ?problem?. I would even consider playing Panarin with Names as the C on the 2nd line. He?s proven before that he?s good when playing with elite player(s). Put Kravtsov on the other wing so you have a full Russian line, maybe it makes it easier for Kravtsov.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

In the last 10 seasons, there have been 65 players to hit 40 points in their rookie seasons.

Averaging 6.5 per season, to expect 2 to hit that might be overestimating, or having unrealistic expectations.

Of those 65 players to hit 40 in their rookie season in the past 10 seasons, the Rangers have had 2. Name them.

For a bonus point, name the Ranger that hit 39 points in his rookie season.

In the last 10 seasons, there have been 65 players to hit 40 points in their rookie seasons.

Averaging 6.5 per season, to expect 2 to hit that might be overestimating, or having unrealistic expectations.

Of those 65 players to hit 40 in their rookie season in the past 10 seasons, the Rangers have had 2. Name them.

For a bonus point, name the Ranger that hit 39 points in his rookie season.

41 of those rookie were in the last 5 years. So the last 5 seasons that's a little over 8 rookies per year hitting 40 points. Also Kakko and Kravtsov are Kakko and Kravtsov. The fact they are on the same team is a coincidence. The Leafs had Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all hit 60 points as 19/20 year olds in the same year, and they didn't have 2 ppg players to play with.

Where's the Ballsy prediction thread? Kakko and Kravtsov will combine for 50+ goals, 100+ points, and both be in the top 6 in Calder voting (along with the Hughes brothers and Makar).

Kakko yes. Kravstov I'm not sold on. People were sold on Andersson like they are Kravstov. I have mediocre expectations for him. Kakko I'm hoping is an instant game breaker. You go #2 in the draft, you better be something special.

That's what I'm thinking, but I'm pretty sure Quinn has said Panarin is going to play with Zib.

I'm with you. I'd rather take pressure off Chytil and have him play with the game breaker and not stack the odds against him with rookies.

I'd go:

Kreider - Zib - Kakko

Panarin- Chytil- Buch/Kravstov

Namestnikov- Howden- Strome

Lemieux- Andersson/Nieves- Fast

Man... Id shop Andersson and try to staple him to a bad contract to get any kind of value and cap space. Just no room for him. I keep Strome over him... Then again I thought Spooner was going to be a solid piece last summer.

Kakko yes. Kravstov I'm not sold on. People were sold on Andersson like they are Kravstov. I have mediocre expectations for him. Kakko I'm hoping is an instant game breaker. You go #2 in the draft, you better be something special.

How many of the #2 picks in the last 6 or 7 years were “instant game breakers”? The answer is basically only Laine fits that description.

It’s not impossible that Kakko dominates from the get go, but people should pump the brakes a bit. A 50 point season would be a very good start.

Kakko is a special player. He might still need time, just like Barkov, Eichel and the others. To be fair, if he ends up on a line with Zib and Panarin I do expect him to put up a fair amount of points.

We sign a player for 11.6m per and people want to put him on a second line to help Chytl develop. That is not how anyone in the NHL would do it.

It's only the "2nd" line on paper. Panarin would get a ton of PP time anyway.

We sign a player for 11.6m per and people want to put him on a second line to help Chytl develop. That is not how anyone in the NHL would do it.

Except, Crosby's played with a bunch of nobodies his whole career. Matthews and Marner don't play together. Laine and Scheifele don't play together. Kane and Towes don't play together. O'Reilly and Tarasenko don't play together.

Not a ton of wingers of this caliber taken #2 overall. Kakko is a higher tier than Svechnikov, Reinhart, etc. Most of the top few picks are C/D

When Panarin was a rookie, he was put with Partick Kane. MacKinnon got time with Duchene, Laine got big minutes on the top line. Other guys like Taylor Hall, Yakupov, Eichel etc, didnt have a lot to play with, never had the opportunity to play with highly skilled players their first season in the league. Having the chance to do so is huge for the development of young players.