• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

FLA Signs Sergei Bobrovsky to 7-Year/$70M Deal; $10M AAV

Phil

Easily the worst contract given out today. This one's gonna become a noose in like four years.

This, and it’s even worse considering they spent a 12th oa pick on a goaltender with plenty of talent on the board. Knight should be ready in 3-4 years and good luck getting rid of a 34 year old Bob on 10m a year.

Ridiculous decision.

people are knocking this trade but I think this is a good one for them. Too much term? sure

but the one thing this team was missing was reliable goaltending. They can light the lamp with any team but couldn't get the goaltending they needed. They overpaid but I think having a solid starter makes them a playoff team right now.

people are knocking this trade but I think this is a good one for them. Too much term? sure

but the one thing this team was missing was reliable goaltending. They can light the lamp with any team but couldn't get the goaltending they needed. They overpaid but I think having a solid starter makes them a playoff team right now.

I agree in that Bob should make them a playoff team - they were near the bottom in sv% last year - but they're not really an offensive juggernaut, they were only 9th in scoring. 22 times last year they gave up at least 5 goals. It's hard to imagine that goaltending alone is to blame for that. When the Rangers beat them 5-2 in October, it wasn't really the goalie's fault...idk what you would put on poor goaltending? Maybe the wraparound?

Florida is weird. They don't play up to their potential as a team, and the goalies take too much of the blame for it I think.

I agree in that Bob should make them a playoff team - they were near the bottom in sv% last year - but they're not really an offensive juggernaut, they were only 9th in scoring. 22 times last year they gave up at least 5 goals. It's hard to imagine that goaltending alone is to blame for that. When the Rangers beat them 5-2 in October, it wasn't really the goalie's fault...idk what you would put on poor goaltending? Maybe the wraparound?

Florida is weird. They don't play up to their potential as a team, and the goalies take too much of the blame for it I think.

Weren't they also a top PP team?

Either way, keeping the puck out of the net was a bigger problem than putting it in, and team D might be a problem but their goalies were also bad. Why can't this all be true?

Also the team confidence dynamic changes when you've got a capable goalie to rely on.

Weren't they also a top PP team?

Either way, keeping the puck out of the net was a bigger problem than putting it in, and team D might be a problem but their goalies were also bad. Why can't this all be true?

Also the team confidence dynamic changes when you've got a capable goalie to rely on.

this is definitely true and the point I was getting to. I don't think this makes them a cup winner overnight but every team needs a goalie that can make a big save for them when they need it. Florida hasn't had that. Having a goalie you can rely on makes things a lot easier for that D corps. I don't think their D is elite by any stretch, but they aren't terrible and Stralman helps them too

also idk why i said trade in my initial post, whoops

I don’t think anyone disagrees this signing immediately makes them far likelier to get in the playoffs.

The problem here is the combination of money and term. He’ll be virtually impossible to get rid of, something they’re obviously going to want to do in 3-4 years unless Knight is a bust.

I don’t think anyone disagrees this signing immediately makes them far likelier to get in the playoffs.

The problem here is the combination of money and term. He’ll be virtually impossible to get rid of, something they’re obviously going to want to do in 3-4 years unless Knight is a bust.

maybe they would've been better off making a trade with us for Georgiev!

It's not that I disagree with that point, but it's UFA and this is kind of what you have to do. Knight is no guarantee and this is a bridge they can cross when they get there

It's not that I disagree with that point, but it's UFA and this is kind of what you have to do. Knight is no guarantee and this is a bridge they can cross when they get there

they are obviously in the 'win now' mode. Georgiev is very much an unknown

But that?s the problem, isn?t it. They won?t be able to cross that bridge because no team is going to touch a 34 year old Bob on 10m per with a pointy stick. So unless Knight isn?t ready, at which point they totally fucked up this draft, they?ll be in a terrible position.

well for one, we don't know what the cap will be/what Bobrovsky will look like in that time. it's a 7 year deal. Say they get 5 prime years out of him, and in the 6th year, maybe they are overpaying for a backup and they can buyout the 7th year. Or like so many bad contracts in the league, he'll develop a career ending injury that puts him on LTIR. Also, his salary is pretty strongly front loaded. For those last two years of his deal, I'm sure there can be another smaller market team that would take him to get safely above the floor, especially as that continues to rise with the cap.

I'm not disagreeing that the term is rough. But it's not necessarily something they won't be able to rid themselves of. It's also a risk they have to take to actually turn themselves into a playoff team. I don't fault them for the term at all