• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

FLA Signs Sergei Bobrovsky to 7-Year/$70M Deal; $10M AAV

Phil

well for one, we don't know what the cap will be/what Bobrovsky will look like in that time. it's a 7 year deal. Say they get 5 prime years out of him, and in the 6th year, maybe they are overpaying for a backup and they can buyout the 7th year. Or like so many bad contracts in the league, he'll develop a career ending injury that puts him on LTIR. Also, his salary is pretty strongly front loaded. For those last two years of his deal, I'm sure there can be another smaller market team that would take him to get safely above the floor, especially as that continues to rise with the cap.

I'm not disagreeing that the term is rough. But it's not necessarily something they won't be able to rid themselves of. It's also a risk they have to take to actually turn themselves into a playoff team. I don't fault them for the term at all

Maybe. I just really dislike the combo of picking a goalie at #12 with significant talent on the board and making that deal a couple of days later. You don't need 5 years out of Bob if that pick is good. Seems like a total lack of direction.

Maybe. I just really dislike the combo of picking a goalie at #12 with significant talent on the board and making that deal a couple of days later. You don't need 5 years out of Bob if that pick is good. Seems like a total lack of direction.

i tend to agree with the lack of direction, but it's a bit different with goalies, especially with how young Knight is. Even if Knight is a future All-Star type goalie, he's 18. It's not unreasonable to think that he makes his debut at 23 and is in a timeshare for a year or two and then Bob gets phased to the backup.

My bigger issue is that they don't have a ton of scoring depth as is - and Hoffman is 29, Dadonov is 30, and both are pending UFAs. They sure could have used another forward.

i tend to agree with the lack of direction, but it's a bit different with goalies, especially with how young Knight is. Even if Knight is a future All-Star type goalie, he's 18. It's not unreasonable to think that he makes his debut at 23 and is in a timeshare for a year or two and then Bob gets phased to the backup.

My bigger issue is that they don't have a ton of scoring depth as is - and Hoffman is 29, Dadonov is 30, and both are pending UFAs. They sure could have used another forward.

Maybe, but it’s equally possible he is ready a lot sooner a la Carter Hart.

I guess I’m just struggling with the logic of burning a #12 oa pick on a goalie knowing your goaltending will be sorted for the long term. That’s a high value pick with some really good players still on the board. I also think the term/aav is insane and even disregarding the potential unnecessary logjam with Knight I feel quite certain that contract will be ugly in not too long.

Maybe, but it’s equally possible he is ready a lot sooner a la Carter Hart.

I guess I’m just struggling with the logic of burning a #12 oa pick on a goalie knowing your goaltending will be sorted for the long term. That’s a high value pick with some really good players still on the board. I also think the term/aav is insane and even disregarding the potential unnecessary logjam with Knight I feel quite certain that contract will be ugly in not too long.

I don't think Carter Hart is ready - he was a below average goalie last year. The number of goalies who are ready/capable of being a #1 before they are 23 or 24 is astoundingly low.

But yea, I agree with the flawed logic of taking a goalie there, but that's not because of a potential logjam. The contract is going to be bad no matter what, but I think that's independent of the decision to take Knight.

I don't think Carter Hart is ready - he was a below average goalie last year. The number of goalies who are ready/capable of being a #1 before they are 23 or 24 is astoundingly low.

But yea, I agree with the flawed logic of taking a goalie there, but that's not because of a potential logjam. The contract is going to be bad no matter what, but I think that's independent of the decision to take Knight.

Sorry, but Carter Hart was not a below-average goalie last year.

He was a learning goalie who played on a below-average team.

Sorry, but Carter Hart was not a below-average goalie last year.

He was a learning goalie who played on a below-average team.

...yes he was. He had some nice games but like a quarter of his games were absolute turds, which is exactly what below-average goalies do.

He is learning, and will be fine. But last year, he wasn't ready, and there's little to suggest that he'll be better with double the workload on a team that isn't any better this year.

...yes he was. He had some nice games but like a quarter of his games were absolute turds, which is exactly what below-average goalies do.

He is learning, and will be fine. But last year, he wasn't ready, and there's little to suggest that he'll be better with double the workload on a team that isn't any better this year.

No, it's what rookie goaltenders on shit teams do lol.

I can see how the nuance there would be lost on some.

No, it's what rookie goaltenders on shit teams do lol.

I can see how the nuance there would be lost on some.

Rookie goalie on shit team = below average goalie

Is Chris Kreider a 30-goal scorer because he scored 28 on a shit team? No.