• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Artemi Panarin to 7-Year/$81.5 Deal; $11.642M AAV

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8.75 million left, plus 1 million for burying Beleskey.

10 million to resign Deangelo, Trouba, Buch, and Lemieux.

Is that correct?

If so, we're definitely dumping more assets.

Really just need to dump Namestnikov for a pick and probably bury Smith again. Thats another 5 million total freed up.

Out at Splish Splash with my kid & his friends. Didn’t have my phone on me most the day. Just got it out to check to see if there was any news & my wife called & said we got Panarin. What an off-season!!!

(By the way, it’s great to have a wife that loves the Rangers.)

Is that correct?

They have multi-millions tied up in utterly expendable players right now, just like Vesey. Namestnikov can be traded. Smith can be buried or bought out. They can also buyout Strome for pennies on the dollar in the second window.

Is that correct?

Kreider is $4.625m. Hoping we manage to avoid buyouts.

CRAIG CUSTANCE: Winning the offseason doesn’t always equal on-ice success, but when you factor in everything the Rangers have done in the past couple months, it’s been almost ridiculous. Panarin signed a deal that wasn’t the highest one of the table. It’s also not an unreasonable contract considering he’s an elite talent. There will be a ton of bad contracts signed today, but the bet here is that this wasn’t one of them. Factor in Trouba, Fox and Kakko, and this team has absolutely loaded up. It all goes back to being decisive with the rebuild. Not putting it off. And recognizing the right opportunity to turn it around. Gorton did all three remarkably well.

ERIC DUHATSCHEK: In some ways, the Rangers are veering off their rebuilding script in the same way the Maple Leafs did when they won the draft lottery back in 2016 to get Auston Matthews. Remember how Leafs coach Mike Babcock originally promised pain? Well, in the salary cap era, pain can be quickly assuaged when you win a lottery. And by getting Kakko, an NHL-ready forward in the lottery, the Rangers were able to fast track the rebuild. Panarin will cost them almost exactly what John Tavares cost the Leafs; and it is the same parallel move – not one that you necessarily expected to make when you publicly announced your plan to retool, but one that now makes some sense given how quickly your revamped roster is coming together. Just as Toronto did with Tavares, the Rangers have now buttressed their emerging core of young players with one proven dazzling high-end scoring talent that might actually deliver value on the contract. Because with Panarin, at age 27, you assume the best is still to come – for him and for what is suddenly a very intriguing Rangers’ team.

ALISON LUKAN: Panarin joining the Rangers jump starts their rebuild in a significant way because he can do so many things. He’s proven to be an elite NHL talent not just in terms of putting points on the board, but also in driving play. He’s in the top one percent in the league in zone exits and he sits in the 99th percentile for successful zone entries. And it’s not just moving the puck where Panarin excels, he’s a creative playmaker who ranks in the top one percent for shot assists (setting up his teammates for shots of their own).

What also makes the Panarin addition unique is that his talent may supersede his age, at least to a point. While he will be 28 years old this October, he has just four NHL seasons of wear and tear on his body. That, plus his skill, may push the concerns of a typical aging curve off for a few years.

Of course, New York’s gain is Columbus’ loss. Panarin brought immense talent to the left side of the ice both at even strength and on the power play. He also created space on the ice to his most frequent linemates, Pierre-Luc Dubois and Cam Atkinson.

DOM LUSZCZYSZYN: Panarin is one of the league’s best players (my model has him rated as the league’s eighth-best winger) and is young for an unrestricted free agent. The contract is close to fair market value for what he brings to the table, and that’s an elite offensive skill set as one of the game’s strongest puck-handlers. July 1 is a day where teams make many costly mistakes – signing an elite player to a fair deal likely won’t be one of them.

https://theathletic.com/1057621/2019/07/01/roundtable-reaction-what-panarins-signing-means-to-the-rangers-and-the-teams-that-missed-out/

Feeling pretty good about this tbph.

I wasn't really for signing Panarin, but I'm also not an NHL GM. If these all these experts are saying this is a good deal, I'll buy it. Panarin is one heck of a talent, and I'm all for backing the decisions of both Gorton and JD, so fuck it...Bring on the season!

Yeah, I think it's a big overpay for what you're getting, I'd say by about 2 million, and it's going to affect our short term depth, but whatever, he's here now, let's make some noise.

For a team that has overpaid for crap again and again, at least they're buying high on something of pretty proven quality that is not yet on the decline.

Yeah, I think it's a big overpay for what you're getting, I'd say by about 2 million, and it's going to affect our short term depth, but whatever, he's here now, let's make some noise.

If you're going to overpay, overpay for studs.

Rather give Panarin $2M too much (arguable relative to the market) than pay a Callahan-type $2M more than he's worth.

If you're going to overpay, overpay for studs.

Rather give Panarin $2M too much (arguable relative to the market) than pay a Callahan-type $2M more than he's worth.

Kevin Hayes makes 60 cents for every dollar Artemi Panarin makes.

Is Artemi Panarin worth approximately 1 and 2/3 Kevin Hayes? I think so.

It's amazing how we've been talking about this move all year and then suddenly, when it happens, all the negativity comes out.

What the fuck are we even talking about? Panarin is instantly the best Ranger since Jagr. In his prime. On a team with brightest future we've ever seen.

He was not overpaid. His contract is not an albatross. He took less money to play here. I mean jesus... what more do you want?

Rangers are 2 years into a rebuild and they're back in playoff contention. Everything that's happened this summer is incredible.

• Like 3

It's amazing how we've been talking about this move all year and then suddenly, when it happens, all the negativity comes out.

What the fuck are we even talking about? Panarin is instantly the best Ranger since Jagr. In his prime. On a team with brightest future we've ever seen.

He was not overpaid. His contract is not an albatross. He took less money to play here. I mean jesus... what more do you want?

Rangers are 2 years into a rebuild and they're back in playoff contention. Everything that's happened this summer is incredible.

Man, in the last 8 weeks alone we've added a top 2 defender, a probable top 4 defender, a trio of top-line caliber wings, and our future goalie.

This is how you rebuild. GMJG for GMOTY.

I don't think it's all negativity, three one...I think it's the fact that we NEVER get a guy in his prime. Even Messier came over towards the latter part of his career.

I'd term it "Tentatively optimistic" :rofl: