• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Measuring Success for an Artemi Panarin-less New York Rangers

Phil

But the Panarin-to-New-York talk has reached such a fever pitch that it also feels as though it?s being willed into existence, which is going to leave a lot of fans terribly upset in the event it doesn?t happen. It?ll also require a dramatic realignment of their expectations next season.

The reality of the situation is this, though: even without Panarin, there?s nothing truly stopping the Rangers from being that scrappy, tough-to-play-against squad who could still threaten the East?s wild card picture, because that?s exactly the type of team they?re designed to be.

A lot can change ? and likely will ? between now and the start of training camp in September, but barring the floor falling out from under them due to injuries or unexpected regressions (or both), the Rangers stand to enter next year as one of the youngest, hardest-working teams with numerous players in their lineup that will command possession of the puck.

Panarin?s addition to this group, in any configuration, would improve their fortunes by an order of magnitude, but his exclusion wouldn?t leave them a wasteland, either. Because much of the work done by Gorton and the front office to inject this roster with young, dynamic talents holds true whether Panarin is in the picture or not.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/6/30/20169847/nhl-free-agency-measuring-2019-success-for-an-artemi-panarin-less-new-york-rangers-kaapo-kakko

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like where this team is with or without him. I think they’ve got a chance st the playoffs this year I really do.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Missing on Panarin would not be a devastating setback

They’d still be flush with young talent both at the NHL level and organizationally

They’d still have a fair amount of cap space presumably

And they wouldn’t feel forced into decisions regarding those bad contracts they’d like to shed. No Panarin means way less pressure to ride it out a little longer and any buyout(s) becomes more palatable or some of those guys are maybe a bit easier to trade.

It’s ok if they miss out on him

Getting Panarin would put a ton of expectation on a team with little NHL experience. You could almost argue that the more natural path to success is without him.

His contract will almost certainly be a major issue at some point as well and I think the Rangers would still make some moves to better themselves without him.

All that said, I want Panarin. Lol.

I just won't be disappointed if he lands somewhere with Bob and commands a shitload of money.

• Like 1

Getting Panarin would put a ton of expectation on a team with little NHL experience. You could almost argue that the more natural path to success is without him.

His contract will almost certainly be a major issue at some point as well and I think the Rangers would still make some moves to better themselves without him.

All that said, I want Panarin. Lol.

I just won't be disappointed if he lands somewhere with Bob and commands a shitload of money.

Boys should be learning to win. Quinn wants, expects and preaches winning (with or without Panarin)

Boys should be learning to win. Quinn wants, expects and preaches winning (with or without Panarin)

And they're already better than last year's team (assuming the defense will get cleaned up). They'll win games and I think they'll even push to make the playoffs.

I also think the Rangers will bring in a few short term guys to help the development. They don't need Panarin to win, he just makes it slightly easier.

Here's a thought, if we lose out on Panarin is it possible to make a trade for Nylander?

And they're already better than last year's team (assuming the defense will get cleaned up). They'll win games and I think they'll even push to make the playoffs.

I also think the Rangers will bring in a few short term guys to help the development. They don't need Panarin to win, he just makes it slightly easier.

Here's a thought, if we lose out on Panarin is it possible to make a trade for Nylander?

I still would love Nylander. Almost more than Panarin because of his age and cap hit. 7m for a 23 year old 60 point center is actually very solid. If they need to shave even a little bit of space this season, then perhaps they would be interested in Kreider.

They should probably fold without him.
Outside of Tavares name me players comparable to reach unrestricted free agency. It doesnt happen often. Haley's comet, seriously that's the epitome of garbage posting. Let's see the unrestricted free agent comparables over say the last decade.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Outside of Tavares name me players comparable to reach unrestricted free agency. It doesnt happen often. Haley's comet, seriously that's the epitome of garbage posting. Let's see the unrestricted free agent comparables over say the last decade.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Ufa is not what it used to be. In the cap era there is no such thing as signing anyone without giving up assets. When a player signs for 20% of your allotted cap others have to go and future moves cannot be made. Star players are moved all the time. Artemi Panarin is a great player yet he’s not a top 10 player in the league.

Didn’t stamkos go ufa before deciding ultimately to return to Tampa? Duchene is as big as panarin in my book maybe a small step under.

Ufa is not what it used to be. In the cap era there is no such thing as signing anyone without giving up assets. When a player signs for 20% of your allotted cap others have to go and future moves cannot be made. Star players are moved all the time. Artemi Panarin is a great player yet he?s not a top 10 player in the league.

Didn?t stamkos go ufa before deciding ultimately to return to Tampa? Duchene is as big as panarin in my book maybe a small step under.

He's not looking at 20% closer to 14.5 to 15.5 right around what he'd deserve

He's not looking at 20% closer to 14.5 to 15.5 right around what he'd deserve

Deserve? He deserves to be the highest paid player in the league? Sure and the team that signs that contract deserves the ramifications of signing a contract like that.

High paid Ufas have such a high rate of success here that I can totally understand your unflinching confidence that signing a contract like this will come out roses. If it didn’t work out it would pretty kill this rebuild in its crib but nothing to think about. The rangers never get burned signing ufas.

Ufa is not what it used to be. In the cap era there is no such thing as signing anyone without giving up assets. When a player signs for 20% of your allotted cap others have to go and future moves cannot be made. Star players are moved all the time. Artemi Panarin is a great player yet he?s not a top 10 player in the league.

Didn?t stamkos go ufa before deciding ultimately to return to Tampa? Duchene is as big as panarin in my book maybe a small step under.

Ducene averages 61 points per year, Panarin 81. But yeah, totally the same.

• Like 1

Deserve? He deserves to be the highest paid player in the league? Sure and the team that signs that contract deserves the ramifications of signing a contract like that.

High paid Ufas have such a high rate of success here that I can totally understand your unflinching confidence that signing a contract like this will come out roses. If it didn’t work out it would pretty kill this rebuild in its crib but nothing to think about. The rangers never get burned signing ufas.

Check your stats. He's not about to be the highest paid player in the league.

And you?ll be the first one. Kind of like arguing the need for a rebuild in January alone to a letter in February and everybody totally does a 180.

Isles sign panarin. It will go like this. They paid way to much. They still won?t win because the rest of their roster sucks or unproven. No goalie. And on. Basically describe the rangers and repeat the logical reason why the rangers should not sign him

• Like 1

Want to see where the Rangers may be heading in 2-3 years? Look at Winnipeg and Toronto. Just when they reach the point of becoming contenders, they have to start shedding good players with little or no return. We're more destined to be in that position if we sign Panarin. Let him enjoy the glamour of traffic on the Interborough Parkway.

I said a step under but reading is hard
Nice insult for the one who constantly cries about insults.

20 points per year is a pretty big step. Duchene will also surpass 1000 games played half way through his 7 year deal. How many player maintain their productivity past 1000 games?

Want to see where the Rangers may be heading in 2-3 years? Look at Winnipeg and Toronto. Just when they reach the point of becoming contenders, they have to start shedding good players with little or no return. We're more destined to be in that position if we sign Panarin. Let him enjoy the glamour of traffic on the Interborough Parkway.

Two of the best teams in the league? Some problem to have.

• Like 1