• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trouba Expected to Sign a 7-Year Extension Worth $7.5–8 Million Per Season

Phil

General manager Jeff Gorton had substantive contract talks with Jacob Trouba?s agent, Kurt Overhardt, at the draft in Vancouver, The Post has learned. The parties did not reach an agreement, but the pending restricted free agent defenseman, acquired on June 17 from Winnipeg for the 20th-overall pick in the draft and Neal Pionk, is expected to sign a seven-year deal in the tony neighborhood of $7.5-8 million per season.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/28/where-rangers-will-draw-the-line-on-artemi-panarin/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuck

Why? Were he to sign for $8Mx7, he'd be right in line regarding the percentage of the cap (9.82) with Pietrangelo (10.11) and Ekblad (10.27) among right-handed defenders. Pietrangelo signed at 23. Trouba would have signed at 25.

Why? Were he to sign for $8Mx7, he'd be right in line regarding the percentage of the cap (9.82) with Pietrangelo (10.11) and Ekblad (10.27) among right-handed defenders. Pietrangelo signed at 23. Trouba would have signed at 25.

The fact that he's in line with them is why it's yucky lol

He's not as good as Pietro, and Ekblad is overpaid.

The fact that he's in line with them is why it's yucky lol

He's not as good as Pietro, and Ekblad is overpaid.

I agree on Ekblad, but the point on Pietrangelo is off the mark. Kucherov isn't as good as McDavid, but they're both still great. Trouba isn't as good as Pietrangelo, but they're both still top RHD in the league. I'm fine with it.

If you are waiting for another Pietrangelo to give that money to, you'll be disappointed when one doesn't become available. Sometimes the next best thing will get paid similarly. It's up to the GM to find good deals at other positions (homegrown or otherwise) to offset the perceived overpayments.

I agree on Ekblad, but the point on Pietrangelo is off the mark. Kucherov isn't as good as McDavid, but they're both still great. Trouba isn't as good as Pietrangelo, but they're both still top RHD in the league. I'm fine with it.

Trouba wasn't even the top RHD on his team. He's maybe, what, the 10th best RHD?

Off the top of my head...EK65, Doughty, Seth Jones, Brent Burns, John Carlson, Pietro, Shea Weber are all a tier above Trouba. Being the 8th best player at your position doesn't mean you aren't good, but it also doesn't mean that your contract comparables are the 7 guys ahead of you.

Trouba wasn't even the top RHD on his team. He's maybe, what, the 10th best RHD?

Off the top of my head...EK65, Doughty, Seth Jones, Brent Burns, John Carlson, Pietro, Shea Weber are all a tier above Trouba. Being the 8th best player at your position doesn't mean you aren't good, but it also doesn't mean that your contract comparables are the 7 guys ahead of you.

Now create a list from these players of who was available to sign or trade.

Trouba wasn't even the top RHD on his team.

This is a specious knock against him. It's like saying "Evgeni Malkin wasn't even the top C on his team," as though that's somehow illustrative of him not being a first-line center?

He's maybe, what, the 10th best RHD?

I have no idea exactly where he ranks, but I would agree that yes, he's among the top-10 RHD in the league.

And you're dead wrong on the latter point. If this were true, McDavid would be the highest paid player in the league and every point-per-game center would be paid probably 70–80 cents on his dollar. You know the market doesn't work like this. It never has, and it never will. Value is relative, and it soft resets every offseason as the cap rises (and salaries rise in conjunction with it). It's why percentage of the cap is such a better evaluating measure than straight AAV.

Great trade. We should get the full 7 years of value given his age. Little disappointed at the $$ but happy to lock him up. Thinking $11m+ per might be a little much for Panarin. I guess maybe when cap frees up in a couple years it would not be bad.

This is a specious knock against him. It's like saying "Evgeni Malkin wasn't even the top C on his team," as though that's somehow illustrative of him not being a first-line center?

I have no idea exactly where he ranks, but I would agree that yes, he's among the top-10 RHD in the league.

And you're dead wrong on the latter point. If this were true, McDavid would be the highest paid player in the league and every point-per-game center would be paid probably 70–80 cents on his dollar. You know the market doesn't work like this. It never has, and it never will. Value is relative, and it soft resets every offseason as the cap rises (and salaries rise in conjunction with it). It's why percentage of the cap is such a better evaluating measure than straight AAV.

Connor McDavid is the highest paid player in the league, as % of cap, and that's the only thing I really care about, it's just easier to talk in terms of dollars.

Trouba should be a considerably less % of cap than Pietro and all those other guys. I understand that FAs get overpaid by the market. It's why I'd say that 9/10 free agent contracts are yuck.

Connor McDavid is the highest paid player in the league, as % of cap, and that's the only thing I really care about, it's just easier to talk in terms of dollars.

Trouba should be a considerably less % of cap than Pietro and all those other guys. I understand that FAs get overpaid by the market. It's why I'd say that 9/10 free agent contracts are yuck.

Define "considerably." $8M x 7 would account for 9.8%. $7.5x7 would equal 9.2%. Pietrangelo, who signed six years ago, ate 10.1% at the time. If he signed today, he'd probably be closer to what Subban's deal was worth — 13%.

Fact is Trouba is a #1 Dman. To pay him 8m a season for the next 7 is completely fair.

Right. The "best" argument against him as a 1D is that he's in the middle of the pack among 1Ds. I'll take that all day long when the alternative is not having a 1D.

Right. The "best" argument against him as a 1D is that he's in the middle of the pack among 1Ds. I'll take that all day long when the alternative is not having a 1D.

First off, fine by me on the contract. He comes in at 7/53, aces. 25 year old #1s don't grow on trees.

Second, by the definition of #1 defender as it is today, there aren't even 30 of them in the league. There might not even be 20. Saying Trouba is a middle of the pack 1D is easily flipped into "guy is a top 20 defender in the league"

First off, fine by me on the contract. He comes in at 7/53, aces. 25 year old #1s don't grow on trees.

Second, by the definition of #1 defender as it is today, there aren't even 30 of them in the league. There might not even be 20. Saying Trouba is a middle of the pack 1D is easily flipped into "guy is a top 20 defender in the league"

Right. Look at RHD in the league. Where is he in that list, eighth-best? Tenth? Who cares. Pay him.

The alternative is significantly worse.

Right. Look at RHD in the league. Where is he in that list, eighth-best? Tenth? Who cares. Pay him.

The alternative is significantly worse.

The alternative is the eternal bridesmaid syndrome that plagued us in the early part of the decade. We never got the big gun; this is the big gun.