• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trouba Expected to Sign a 7-Year Extension Worth $7.5–8 Million Per Season

Phil

That's a silly way to determine what a #1 D is.

San Jose has 3 #1 Dmen. We may not have any.

That's fine. I agree that they do. But Erik Karlsson is making 11m a year so I don't even understand what the debate is.

Seems like what's being said is this: "Trouba isn't a #1D and therefore shouldn't be paid like a #1D." Okay... he's not. So what's the problem?

Trouba is better than MOST NHL defensemen so I'm not sure what the point of squabbling over the non-identifiable term of "#1D" even matters. According to this debate there are somehow 15? How is that quantified? He's the #1D on our team and would be on most teams.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine. I agree that they do. But Erik Karlsson is making 11m a year so I don't even understand what the debate is.

Seems like what's being said is this: "Trouba isn't a #1D and therefore shouldn't be paid like a #1D." Okay... he's not. So what's the problem?

Trouba is better than MOST NHL defensemen so I'm not sure what the point of squabbling over the non-identifiable term of "#1D" even matters. According to this debate there are somehow 15? How is that quantified? He's the #1D on our team and would be on most teams.

That's a fine opinion, I'm sure folks would agree. There just doesn't happen to be any proof to support it, yet. Had he played out a year in NY and had a year like he just had, I'd feel better about the $8 million. It's an 8 year leap of faith.

The other alternative is that you've invested huge money and a 1st-round pick in a guy who doesn't move the needle for your team, beyond moving from 14th to...8th, and I don't think he does. I mean, I'll ask the same question as I did about Hartman or acquiring Panarin but losing Kreider - what's the actual point? They aren't moves that make you so much better that you're a Cup contender right now.

It is ridiculously poor philosophy to sign a guy simply because "we don't have one." So what if you don't have a #1 RD right now? Unless they fathom themselves contenders this year, it doesn't matter.

At some point, with all the draft capital they've invested in the defense, you have to trust that you got it right somewhere.

Are there any 1 or 2 moves that would make us Cup contenders right away? Trouba, Panarin, Kreider might help improve the chances our young guys develop as we hope. If that happens, then we have a Cup contender.

That's a fine opinion, I'm sure folks would agree. There just doesn't happen to be any proof to support it, yet. Had he played out a year in NY and had a year like he just had, I'd feel better about the $8 million. It's an 8 year leap of faith.

This isn't really true, though. There is. He just put up 50 points, so his production is in line with the role out of the gate. If you look at some of the analytics on him (WAR, GAR), they also support the theory. There's no proof in the sense that it hasn't been put into practice for a sustainable stretch yet, but there is some data to work from here that support it in theory. I'll grant you that that would qualify, at least technically, as a leap of faith, though.

But it's all a leap of faith. You're either paying for what you hope will happen or paying for what's already happened. Karlsson got paid based on past performances. Panarin is getting 11 million for what he's already done, with the hope that he'll remain just as good as he has been. Nobody thinks either player are going to actually improve.

Rangers overpaid for Zibanijad at the time they signed him. It turned out to be an amazing deal. Rangers overpaid for Richards at the time they signed him. Turned out to be a terrible deal. It's all a calculated risk.

Tyler Myers is about to get somewhere around 7m on the open market. The line shifts always, as you know. Saying there are only a few Dmen that make 8 isn't relevant because the cap goes up every year and so do player salaries. If Trouba were the Jets #1D at the time of the trade, we wouldn't be signing him for 8m. It would be much more.

• Like 1

True. The Rangers will sign one shortly. ;)

The question is loaded, for the record. What you mean to ask is "#1 defenders have signed for $8 million, true or false" which is true, but not doesn't operate in that vacuum. Year to year variance alone changes the nature of it every summer.

How much do #1D cost? I'll tell you next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

True. The Rangers will sign one shortly. ;)

The question is loaded, for the record. What you mean to ask is "#1 defenders have signed for $8 million, true or false" which is true, but not doesn't operate in that vacuum. Year to year variance alone changes the nature of it every summer.

How much do #1D cost? I'll tell you next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

When the comment comes in "You can't get a #1D for $8 million" and I've shown you can, I've got nothing else to say LOL.

When the comment comes in "You can't get a #1D for $8 million" and I've shown you can, I've got nothing else to say LOL.

Well, one team did, last year. Another three years ago. But there's no regularity there. Certainly not with a rising cap. Even a marginally rising one.

It’s overpayment for Trouba

That’s approaching the real top money deals for D in the league

He’s a very fine NHL defenseman. On the cusp of being a true number one D, but not truly that. He’s only really had 1 offensive season that you could say was really a big one. And while he’s better defensively than he gets credit for, he’s not elite. I’d say he’s good to very good in his own end.

That said it’s not awful by any stretch.

He’ll be 32 when the deal ends. So their not likely dragging bad years at the end.

The cap and salaries will go up, so his hit will look and feel somewhat smaller over time.

But if you’re expecting him to be in the elite D of the league, at least a fair chance that you could be disappointed.

Still a very good addition though.

i definitely think paying Troupa that much money is over payment ,and he hasnt have the career McDanogh has so far ,and McDonagh came a lot cheaper.

i wonder how long it will take for Troupa honeymoon to be over in rangerland

i definitely think paying Troupa that much money is over payment ,and he hasnt have the career McDanogh has so far ,and McDonagh came a lot cheaper.

i wonder how long it will take for Troupa honeymoon to be over in rangerland

Half a season, faster if he goes all Wade Redden.