• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where Rangers Will Draw the Line on Artemi Panarin

Phil

Why do people really want Panarin?

Is it because he's exciting, extremely talented, and available, thus making the team more "sexy" (all good things) or do they want him because he fits in to the long term plan for a still rebuilding hockey club?

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

It would be hard to say no at 9 million, I totally agree, but at 11.5 or 12? Really?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are.. You serious? Gabriel Fontaine?

We need a 2C, yes.

Kravtsov and Kakko are wingers.

Chytil was generally bad last year. Really bad at times. And while you'd think/hope he continues to develop, that's far from a certainty.

Strome is a 2C on a shitty team, that should be obvious, he's pretty much the poster child in this regard.

Andersson, Howden don't project as 2C's in my mind, in pretty much everybody's mind.

I could be off the mark, certainly, but that's how I see the lay of the land as of today. You're banking on a huge step from Chytil, if that doesn't happen they'll be shoehorning players in to the role.

Sorry, you're right. There are like 9 players who can play center on the team, but let's focus on Fontaine and quibble over which position Kakko and Krav should play because their names were also last in the list.

Also, to your point, Chytil was bad and probably won't be, or get, better.

Wait wut? We need a center?

Zibenajad

Chytil

Howden

Andersson

Nieves

Fontaine

Or...

Strome

Kakko

Kravtsov

Why do we need a center?

Bingo. The center position will work itself out. There's this false narrative that the Rangers won't have cap space to sign their prospects in 4 years, and all of whom supposedly will explode into franchise players and they won't all fit under the cap. If that happens, not only will I be doing backflips at our good fortune, but those guys will fill the holes that people are complaining. If it doesn't happen, then those guys won't get a ton of money and cap space really isn't a problem is it?

Why do people really want Panarin?

Is it because he's exciting, extremely talented, and available, thus making the team more "sexy" (all good things) or do they want him because he fits in to the long term plan for a still rebuilding hockey club?

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

It would be hard to say no at 9 million, I totally agree, but at 11.5 or 12? Really?

Makes those around him better. Elite skill. Bumps everyone down a spot, allowing them to develop and not drown in expectations. Plus, he’s awesome.

Bingo. The center position will work itself out. There's this false narrative that the Rangers won't have cap space to sign their prospects in 4 years, and all of whom supposedly will explode into franchise players and they won't all fit under the cap. If that happens, not only will I be doing backflips at our good fortune, but those guys will fill the holes that people are complaining. If it doesn't happen, then those guys won't get a ton of money and cap space really isn't a problem is it?

So will the wing position as the rangers have far better prospects there. If your doing backflips then they do have a cap problem. If those prospects don’t work our adding panarin does nothing as this is still a bad team making signing him pointless other than to satisfy your need for satisfaction right now.

The center position is a complete unknown outside of one player. Of those unknowns none of them project to be more than a third line center at best case. If chytil is your answer than the pressures you are supposedly alleviating is all being transfered onto him.

So will the wing position as the rangers have far better prospects there. If your doing backflips then they do have a cap problem. If those prospects don’t work our adding panarin does nothing as this is still a bad team making signing him pointless other than to satisfy your need for satisfaction right now.

The center position is a complete unknown outside of one player. Of those unknowns none of them project to be more than a third line center at best case. If chytil is your answer than the pressures you are supposedly alleviating is all being transfered onto him.

The reality is that not all of the prospects will pan out and command high dollar contracts. It's also probably not reasonable to assume they all bust. Both of those scenarios are unrealistic as it will probably be somewhere in between. 1, maybe 2 if you're lucky, might be at that level where you have to pay them a high dollar contract. The others will be at some level ranging anywhere from bust to 2nd line player. Those are the guys you eventually move if you need cap space, because those are the guys that would never be as good as Panarin is.

The reality is that not all of the prospects will pan out and command high dollar contracts. It's also probably not reasonable to assume they all bust. Both of those scenarios are unrealistic as it will probably be somewhere in between. 1, maybe 2 if you're lucky, might be at that level where you have to pay them a high dollar contract. The others will be at some level ranging anywhere from bust to 2nd line player. Those are the guys you eventually move if you need cap space, because those are the guys that would never be as good as Panarin is.

Agreed. And that’s why tying yourself up with a contract that panarin is asking for makes no sense. This team is not ready for it and like you said they don’t even know what they have yet no less start thinking about contending. By the time those things become clear panarin may very well be declining and not living up to his contract. The two best prospects are wings and one is considered a cant miss. So if there is one position that they should be ok with it’s wing. Top it off the easiest position and cheapest position to fill is on the wing. Making it even worse that panarin is asking what he’s asking for. Top echelon centers get less and he’s barely a point per game player who generally speaking isn’t putting those points up with 40-50 goals. He’s completely overrated and instantly an awful contract as soon as his pen hits paper at anything over $10m a aeason

Agreed. And that’s why tying yourself up with a contract that panarin is asking for makes no sense.

Nah. It's precisely why you sign him. Odds are he's better than most or all of our prospects ever will be, though I hold some optimism that one or two will turn out to be stars. I'll pay the money for high end talent.

Nah. It's precisely why you sign him. Odds are he's better than most or all of our prospects ever will be, though I hold some optimism that one or two will turn out to be stars. I'll pay the money for high end talent.

Seriously odds are? You are advocating paying him $11-12m a year for 7 years. You think he should be better? He better be. The prospects you are hoping g he’s better than cost you league minimum. Is this a joke?

Seriously odds are? You are advocating paying him $11-12m a year for 7 years. You think he should be better? He better be. The prospects you are hoping g he’s better than cost you league minimum. Is this a joke?

Lol we are talking 4 years from now when you think we will be cap strapped from all of our prospects making big bucks. Keep up.

There would be no discussion if there was no cap. Sign him. I choose to live in reality.
this is very true,signing him and Troupa to high salaries will hurt this team in the near future,not that they arent good players ,just not top end talent for their position and the cap space they are eating

There is no good reason to NOT sign Panarin.

He's high end talent that is ready to step on the roster without giving up any assets. He's not going to be the top paid player in the game, he's going to get what he's worth. A fair deal is going to get it done.

The Rangers need a legit top end forward in his prime and this guy fits the bill.

Opportunities like this don't come around too often. If you aren't going to spend the money on this guy......, then your never going to spend it.

Lundqvist, Staal, Smith and Shattenkirk will be off the roster if/when the team needs cap space to resign their own talent. That's like 7 billion dollars right there... Cap space for our potential future should not be any reason to not sign anyone.

I'm hoping this cupboard full of Russians is enough to entice Panarin to come here. On top of playing in a market where he will be seen...

• Like 1

The downside of Panarin and Trouba is the roughly $18-20 million dollar annual commitment vs the cap

That’s centerpiece, building block, type money. In order to get their money’s worth those guys have to perform that way. Night in and night out. For years

Yes, the cap will go up.

Yes, they presumably have other big pieces to build around that are young and cheap for a while

That offsets it temporarily.

But make no mistake

Panarin needs to be a huge offensive producer

Trouba needs to play huge minutes in all situations vs the opponents best and win those matchups at both ends.

There’s at least fair risk there.

But I think they’re 2 players who warrant the risk.

There is no good reason to NOT sign Panarin.

He's high end talent that is ready to step on the roster without giving up any assets. He's not going to be the top paid player in the game, he's going to get what he's worth. A fair deal is going to get it done.

The Rangers need a legit top end forward in his prime and this guy fits the bill.

Opportunities like this don't come around too often. If you aren't going to spend the money on this guy......, then your never going to spend it.

Lundqvist, Staal, Smith and Shattenkirk will be off the roster if/when the team needs cap space to resign their own talent. That's like 7 billion dollars right there... Cap space for our potential future should not be any reason to not sign anyone.

I'm hoping this cupboard full of Russians is enough to entice Panarin to come here. On top of playing in a market where he will be seen...

Signing him will cost you assets eventually. Signing him means people need to go right now. The people going now aren’t going to hurt.

People act like signing him will be the end of the rangers or the fans from wanting to add more “free” players during the next 3-4 years. It’s laughable. The rangers are still a bad team with panarin. So signing him is just a start but signing him makes it much more difficult to maneuver

Which good asset did Toronto lose?

Also, all team are close to the ceiling, so “all teams lose guys because of the cap”. Better to use the money on contributing players than Smith and Shattenkirk.

Doesn't look like we have much of a shot. Seems pretty set on following Bob.

Every report on twitter is completely conflicting. In the last 24hra I?ve seen Panarin be a sure thing to the rangers, isles, and Florida depending on who you talk to.

Lesson: well know for sure tomorrow (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Panarin would be a great addition, but I think long term we do better by keeping our cap space. Give the youngsters a couple years. See which ones work out and where we need help. Add more high pick prospects. There will be bargains to be had with cap space.

Every report on twitter is completely conflicting. In the last 24hra I’ve seen Panarin be a sure thing to the rangers, isles, and Florida depending on who you talk to.

Lesson: well know for sure tomorrow (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Logically don't see how he could pick the Isles. Even with 2 great hockey guys there, it's a bad situation. Otherwise I have no idea.

Which good asset did Toronto lose?

Also, all team are close to the ceiling, so “all teams lose guys because of the cap”. Better to use the money on contributing players than Smith and Shattenkirk.

Can Toronto win a playoff series before they become the model for discussion

And who do they lose to every year? The team that has better depth and is built around some good players but not guys threatening the top of the nhl salary structure. Boston drafts well and is four lines deep. Boston isn’t the model either but they are a far better model than the leafs

Doesn't look like we have much of a shot. Seems pretty set on following Bob.

Rumor has it Bob likes to drink heavily which was part of the issue he ran into with Torts. If that’s what Panarin is after, then so be it. Seems like a bad combo though, imo.