• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where Rangers Will Draw the Line on Artemi Panarin

Phil

Now yes. But the cap is always rising. In 2-3 years his cap will look pretty good

Tell that to Minnesota about parise and suter. Praise by the way is another all ranger fans had to have for “free”. Thank fucking god he wanted to go home. Because you know what could possibly go wrong?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-3 years from now, we are going to have to shed quality players due to cap issues just as we are becoming a contender. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards taking a pass on Panarin. That huge block of cap space could really hurt.

Not that he would?ve ever signed here but I would?ve much rather thrown the money at Tavares last year than sign Panarin this year. Scary part for the Rangers to be real contenders down the road is the same old problem for this team, the center position. I don?t see anyone that projects to a really good #2 center down the road. Hopefully I?m wrong on Chytil. Think he can be a nice player but I I liked him better on the wing. Howden strikes me as a third liner at best. Andersson hopefully a third or fourth liner? Guess we will see in time

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Tell that to Minnesota about parise and suter. Praise by the way is another all ranger fans had to have for “free”. Thank fucking god he wanted to go home. Because you know what could possibly go wrong?

Parise wasn't the same elite player after the knee injury and they committed to him until he is at least 37. Panarin doesn't have either of those question marks.

Also, 7.5/year for a 60 point Parise hasn't been that bad a contract for the Wild honestly.

Personally, 9.5 x 7 would be my upper limit, which would mean we'd lose out, but 12 million for Artemi Panarin? No thanks.

I still think the need at Center is greater than a winger with our young wing depth. I'd rather sign Duchene and/or Lee or Ferland and flip Kreider, Strome and Vesey for picks.

I'm no Pavelski guy, but if he stops you from a future millstone 5 years out, go that direction.

Panarin would make more sense if you landed Hughes, but our C depth is a joke. Who is playing there? Panarin would mean you're stuck with Chytil @ #2? Fuck that.

You’ve been telling me for a year that strong wingers can make effective centers.

Get the elite player when you have the chance.

They’re not winning anything next season, so see if a guy can develop into a 2C.

In 2-3 seasons, if it’s still an issue, trade a few prospects (they have enough) for a C. Guys like Duchene and O’Reilly wouldn’t be hard to acquire using their stockpile of prospects.

You’ve been telling me for a year that strong wingers can make effective centers.

Get the elite player when you have the chance.

They’re not winning anything next season, so see if a guy can develop into a 2C.

In 2-3 seasons, if it’s still an issue, trade a few prospects (they have enough) for a C. Guys like Duchene and O’Reilly wouldn’t be hard to acquire using their stockpile of prospects.

They will need every low cost player they have in 3-4 years. Trading them for an O’Reilly or duchene type requires cap space which they will not be in supply of

25 million in essentially dead cap space between Staal/Smith/Shattenkirk/Lundqvist. None can be moved at this point, all with prohibitive buyouts. That's just the reality for at least one more season.

In 12 months though it becomes a much smaller issue as you said

And with them not likely to do much more than be a bubble team, no pressure to do anything now

Even if there’s a logjam we all know Quinn has no problem benching a guy to insert someone else in the lineup

Ride it out

I think Howden will be a different player then we saw in his rookie season. He'll be stronger and more confident and hopefully has a great showing. The same can be said for Chytil if he's done with puberty. Andersson showed a little life at the end of the season. Quinn will probably try KK at center at some point. Hopefully one of these guys takes a big step into a dependable #2 center.

The rangers are not currently situated to make this move. That is the reality. Signing panarin does not make them a contender. Their window opens ideally 2-3 years from now at which point panarin?s contract can just as easily be a negative as a positive.
2-3 years from now signing a player of Panarin's caliber, if one is available, will cost you over $14 million per year.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The thought of having Zib-Panarin-Kravstov-Kakko-Chytil on this team after watching a random assortment of scrubs and overhyped prospects in the last few years gets the pants moving for sure

Panarin is a hell of a player and definitely worth the investment. The type of game he plays you can put him with pretty much any player and he'll elevate their game

Wait wut? We need a center?

Zibenajad

Chytil

Howden

Andersson

Nieves

Fontaine

Or...

Strome

Kakko

Kravtsov

Why do we need a center?

Are.. You serious? Gabriel Fontaine?

We need a 2C, yes.

Kravtsov and Kakko are wingers.

Chytil was generally bad last year. Really bad at times. And while you'd think/hope he continues to develop, that's far from a certainty.

Strome is a 2C on a shitty team, that should be obvious, he's pretty much the poster child in this regard.

Andersson, Howden don't project as 2C's in my mind, in pretty much everybody's mind.

I could be off the mark, certainly, but that's how I see the lay of the land as of today. You're banking on a huge step from Chytil, if that doesn't happen they'll be shoehorning players in to the role.

Wait wut? We need a center?

Zibenajad

Chytil

Howden

Andersson

Nieves

Fontaine

Or...

Strome

Kakko

Kravtsov

Why do we need a center?

Here here

Let’s see if Zib can duplicate or improve upon last season. If he does, than he’s a legit 1C

Let’s see Chytil develops into. Kid has high-end skill. And if he had been born 2 weeks later, he’s probably a top-10 pick in this most recent draft a week ago.

Depth chart is thick at C. Let it all play out for a while before we go shopping for one