Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bridging the Gap: Short-Term Options for the 2019-20 Rangers

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Reaves isn't a free agent. They'd have to trade for him. Which I'd do, to help Vegas' cap crunch, by making them pay for it in retention and an asset.
    OK...This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Shortly after the rebuild letter, management mentioned they wanted "character" players. Brian Boyle is the quintessential ideal for a character player. If the article is correct and he could be had for 1.25 mill, short term, he would, imo, have multiple roles filled in. Plus having his size in front screening would certainly help the production (and confidence) on the third, fourth lines. Boyle hits all the check boxes.

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Am I right in reading that people want to sign Reaves for around $3 mil but don't want to pay Strome $4 mil?

This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.
    I never said I was against Strome, Pete. ...as long as he gives us 100%.

Sorry got sidetracked there for a minute....(edit)

Yeah man, I have no issues with Strome, but there is going to be a phase here where these kids can use a bit of an insurance policy. I wouldn't want guys like Marchand and the like, taking liberties with players like KAkko and Kravtsov.

I know a lot of people are against the whole toughness and enforcer thing, but it does exist and for the up and coming youth of this team I just feel it's a necessity. I also know I'm in the minority with that sentiment, but I don't give a shit. We've never had a generational talent on this team since I've been watching (1971), and I'll be damned if I have to watch some fucking dirty prick like Marchand take out this kid's knee without the presence of some player on the Rangers that going to pull his spine out of his asshole if he does it.

Like I said man, we can disagree on it, but I just feel it's part of these kids being able to flourish....You gotta pull the weeds out of the way in order to grow free.
    Last edited by Ozzy; 06-27-2019 at 01:20 PM.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OK...This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.
    I never said anything about toughness. I said I'd happily take on the Reaves deal if Vegas retained and gave the Rangers something for helping them out of a cap crunch. Reaves' leadership and general demeanor would be added benefits, I'd think. Plus the odd fight he may get in during the season. He's not an awful fourth-line player, either.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I never said I was against Strome, Pete. ...as long as he gives us 100%.

Sorry got sidetracked there for a minute....(edit)

Yeah man, I have no issues with Strome, but there is going to be a phase here where these kids can use a bit of an insurance policy. I wouldn't want guys like Marchand and the like, taking liberties with players like KAkko and Kravtsov.

I know a lot of people are against the whole toughness and enforcer thing, but it does exist and for the up and coming youth of this team I just feel it's a necessity. I also know I'm in the minority with that sentiment, but I don't give a shit. We've never had a generational talent on this team since I've been watching (1971), and I'll be damned if I have to watch some fucking dirty prick like Marchand take out this kid's knee without the presence of some player on the Rangers that going to pull his spine out of his asshole if he does it.

Like I said man, we can disagree on it, but I just feel it's part of these kids being able to flourish....You gotta pull the weeds out of the way in order to grow free.
    having Reaves or another tough guy will not deter Marchand and his kind cheap-shotting players. it hasn't yet and most likely never will.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    having Reaves or another tough guy will not deter Marchand and his kind cheap-shotting players. it hasn't yet and most likely never will.
    I dunno, CC...It would make a guy think twice and sometimes that's all you need. You go back a long way, like I do...and if you remember back a ways, Gretzky first Dave Semenko, McClellan and then added Marty McSorely to make sure no one messed with those guys.

Yes, it was back in the day, and the game has "changed".

BUT...shit still goes down out there on the ice...not as much!! ...but it still happens.

Banned Junior Division
    I dunno, CC...It would make a guy think twice and sometimes that's all you need. You go back a long way, like I do...and if you remember back a ways, Gretzky first Dave Semenko, McClellan and then added Marty McSorely to make sure no one messed with those guys.

Yes, it was back in the day, and the game has "changed".

BUT...shit still goes down out there on the ice...not as much!! ...but it still happens.
    game did change, Gretzky had Semenko almost 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    game did change, Gretzky had Semenko almost 40 years ago.
    Puck, net, Stick, Goal....punch in the face from the Flyers/Bruins/Habs .....nah, it's still the same!!!

Moderator Junior Division
    Puck, net, Stick, Goal....punch in the face from the Flyers/Bruins/Habs .....nah, it's still the same!!!
    I don't agree, but I admire your consistency lol

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Not sure what Reaves would help with.
    But here's a list of the Blues fighting majors for the year for Ozzy
    https://www.hockeyfights.com/teams/2...eaders/reg2019

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't agree, but I admire your consistency lol
    Hey man, you know we have to go at it once on this topic this year!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123