Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Bridging the Gap: Short-Term Options for the 2019-20 Rangers

  1. #21
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31,040
    Rep Power
    423
    At this point, I dont know why you'd bring in Hartman. He's not a make or break guy, or the determining factor between playoffs and lottery. Besides, the kids need those minutes. They guys that might actually be difference makers in 2 -3 seasons when the team is in the playoffs.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  2. #22
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    4,393
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    No. The only person with a more punchable face than Vesey is Casey Mittelstadt.
    And I'm not sure Perry's done as a depth guy. I think he could very well be a good 3rd liner who offers leadership and experience. I imagine he'll come cheap as well.
    But Phil might be right that he'll be looking for a job as a depth piece with a contender.
    He had 4 goals in 6 assists in 31 games last year. He was also a -16 averaging close to 15 minutes a night. Look at the precipitous decline since he turned 30. Not a guy I would even bother trying to bring in here because all indications are that he's done.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,687
    Rep Power
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Hartman is also better than Namestnikov and whatever the hell Lias Andersson is right now. He's a legitimate third-line energy player.

    I'm also not at all convinced you're getting full 82-game NHL seasons out of Kakko, Kravtsov, Howden (who hit the wall hard last year), Andersson, and Chytil. Having, you know, actual NHL players under contract would help in the event any need to spend time in the AHL. The days of suffering Connor Brickley's and Matt Beleskey's should be over.
    Based on what?

  4. #24
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2,263
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    He had 4 goals in 6 assists in 31 games last year. He was also a -16 averaging close to 15 minutes a night. Look at the precipitous decline since he turned 30. Not a guy I would even bother trying to bring in here because all indications are that he's done.
    He had those numbers coming off a bad injury.
    He had 49 in 71 the season before that, and has averaged well over 50 since 2012.
    You’re not bringing him in to be fantastic, you’re bringing him in on basically no money to put up 30ish points on the 3rd line and provide leadership and experience to a very young roster.

    Doesn’t have to be Perry, but I think the team needs a guy like that. I do think a healthy, motivated Perry could have a nice bounce back year in that role.

  5. #25
    Former Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    He had those numbers coming off a bad injury.
    He had 49 in 71 the season before that, and has averaged well over 50 since 2012.
    You’re not bringing him in to be fantastic, you’re bringing him in on basically no money to put up 30ish points on the 3rd line and provide leadership and experience to a very young roster.

    Doesn’t have to be Perry, but I think the team needs a guy like that. I do think a healthy, motivated Perry could have a nice bounce back year in that role.
    Is Perry actually a leader like we'd covet though? I don't really hate the idea of bringing him in and hoping he contributes (though I wouldn't), but it takes a pretty specific personality to be a guy on a rebuilding team who will help young guys. He's always seemed like too much of a prick to be that guy lol

  6. #26
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,892
    Rep Power
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Based on what?
    Cost, for one. I'd sooner pay Hartman like $2.5 million to put up 25-30 points than Namestnikov $4 million to do the same.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #27
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,699
    Rep Power
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Cost, for one. I'd sooner pay Hartman like $2.5 million to put up 25-30 points than Namestnikov $4 million to do the same.
    Id rather not have either player. If you're going to put up 30 points, you should be a rookie.
    GORTON 2020

  8. #28
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,601
    Rep Power
    82
    How about bringing in a guy that's going to help out on 4th line duties, and also keep the opposition from taking liberties with our new superstar players;

    Ryan Reaves @ 2.775 mil ....turns 33 on Jan 20, 2020

    2018- 2019 80GP
    9 Goals
    11 assists
    20 points
    +1
    74 Penalty Min

  9. #29
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    4,393
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    With reports that Panarin wants $12+ I'm way more inclined to go this route.

    I don't know if Perry is the right choice but I'd gladly overpay someone like Pavelski for a couple years.
    Pavelski declined visits in a couple of places where he thought the teams weren’t close enough to winning. All eyes are on Dallas and Tampa Bay, although Chicago may try to convince him to visit. The Stars are determined to add scorers.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...fa-stalemates/

    I would imagine that means the Rangers as well so you can count out Pavelski at this point.

  10. #30
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,892
    Rep Power
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Id rather not have either player. If you're going to put up 30 points, you should be a rookie.
    That works in a vacuum, not in reality. You can't skate a team of 20-year-olds plus a couple of high-end talents. Didn't work for Edmonton, won't work for New York.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #31
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    4,393
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    How about bringing in a guy that's going to help out on 4th line duties, and also keep the opposition from taking liberties with our new superstar players;

    Ryan Reaves @ 2.775 mil ....turns 33 on Jan 20, 2020

    2018- 2019 80GP
    9 Goals
    11 assists
    20 points
    +1
    74 Penalty Min
    Here we go again...

  12. #32
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,699
    Rep Power
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That works in a vacuum, not in reality. You can't skate a team of 20-year-olds plus a couple of high-end talents. Didn't work for Edmonton, won't work for New York.
    I'm not asking to skate a team of 20 year olds. I just think if you're going to pay someone, pay them big money to do big things, not little money to do nothing.

    I hate Vesey but I'm not sure what Hartman brings that Vesey doesn't. Vesey's money isn't really a problem at the moment and he can be moved easily.
    GORTON 2020

  13. #33
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,699
    Rep Power
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...fa-stalemates/

    I would imagine that means the Rangers as well so you can count out Pavelski at this point.
    Ah, I hadn't see this. Bummer.
    GORTON 2020

  14. #34
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,601
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Here we go again...
    I know....I couldn't resist!!!

  15. #35
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31,040
    Rep Power
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    How about bringing in a guy that's going to help out on 4th line duties, and also keep the opposition from taking liberties with our new superstar players;

    Ryan Reaves @ 2.775 mil ....turns 33 on Jan 20, 2020

    2018- 2019 80GP
    9 Goals
    11 assists
    20 points
    +1
    74 Penalty Min
    Minus Kreider, you go in with Chytil, Kravtsov, Kakko, Strome, Buchnevich, Panarin*, Namesrnikov as your top 9. Other than Lemieux, you got nothing. Blueline doesn’t offer much in the way of muscle. almost a necessity to get some re-enforcement to give the kids some ice and “support”
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  16. #36
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,601
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Minus Kreider, you go in with Chytil, Kravtsov, Kakko, Strome, Buchnevich, Panarin*, Namesrnikov as your top 9. Other than Lemieux, you got nothing. Blueline doesn’t offer much in the way of muscle. almost a necessity to get some re-enforcement to give the kids some ice and “support”
    It's not like the guy can't play, either. I think he'd be a valuable player for the next 3 seasons as these kids mature. Guys like Reaves are an instant smash here too! The crowd would love him to death, and in turn not a soul would even breath on our youngsters.

    Reaves is one of the MOST feared players in the league....and still has it!

  17. #37
    Former Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    170
    Reaves would be good at half the price tag.

  18. #38
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,601
    Rep Power
    82
    I still don't think 2.775 mil is a lot for him...I think we could get him for 3yrs and it wouldn't tip the scales either way, Future. God knows we' can use the insurance policy!

  19. #39
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    81,167
    Rep Power
    640
    Am I right in reading that people want to sign Reaves for around $3 mil but don't want to pay Strome $4 mil?

    This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.

  20. #40
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,892
    Rep Power
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Am I right in reading that people want to sign Reaves for around $3 mil but don't want to pay Strome $4 mil?

    This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.
    Reaves isn't a free agent. They'd have to trade for him. Which I'd do, to help Vegas' cap crunch, by making them pay for it in retention and an asset.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •