• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bridging the Gap: Short-Term Options for the 2019-20 Rangers

Phil

The 2019 free agent market ? appended by late non-qualified restricted free agent entries to it ? could bear similar fruit when the ?frenzy? kicks in six days from now.

Perhaps Brian Boyle would be open to a second act on Broadway? The 34-year-old isn?t getting any younger, but has maintained quality scoring levels for a depth player over the last three years in which he?s split time between Tampa Bay, New Jersey, and Nashville respectively. Moreover, Boyle is renowned for his leadership ? a major facet the Rangers won?t fail to account for as they attempt to transition numerous fledglings into full-time, contributing NHLers.

According to the twins over at Evolving Wild, who released their 2019 contract projections back in in May, Boyle could be earmarked for an extremely reasonable one-year ticket worth around $1.25 million.

On that same rugged front, there?s now an increased likelihood (though shy of a guarantee) that 24-year-old Ryan Hartman ? a former 30th overall pick of Chicago?s back in 2013 ? could make it to the free agent market at an unusually young age now that the Stars opted not to extend him a qualifying offer.

Sean Shapiro of The Athletic did note that Dallas still plans to negotiate with him ahead of the open market, but like with Zuccarello, the call of it could be all too tempting to avoid entirely.

Would a two-year, $6 million offer be enough to sway Hartman ? who?s style would surely play well with David Quinn?s philosophies ? to join a scrappy, still-rebuilding New York team?

Or maybe Gorton looks farther West for help? Nick Cousins, who will turn 26 in July, spent the last four seasons in Arizona, who walked away from the would be arbitration-eligible forward.

Cousins, who was originally drafted by the Flyers, put up a career-best 25 point season in the desert. His in-your-face style and ability to play both center or wing could make him a valuable bottom-six investment if he?s willing to sign a two-year ticket.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/6/26/18759228/bridging-the-gap-short-term-free-agent-options-for-the-2019-20-new-york-rangers-ryan-hartman

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I crazy for thinking Corey Perry on a one year deal might not be the worst thing in the world?

I very well could be.

Nah, you're not crazy. I'd explore it. But I'd imagine he's got his eyes on more immediate contenders.

Yes. He's done. Plus he has a more punchable face than Vesey.

No. The only person with a more punchable face than Vesey is Casey Mittelstadt.

And I'm not sure Perry's done as a depth guy. I think he could very well be a good 3rd liner who offers leadership and experience. I imagine he'll come cheap as well.

But Phil might be right that he'll be looking for a job as a depth piece with a contender.

Namestnikov, Vesey, and Strome are already short-term, bottom six roster filler, and Shatty, Smith can do that fine on defense. What problem are we trying to solve here? If the goal is to build depth to make a playoff run, then you need players who are top-6 capable.

They played this game with McQuaid last year, and it was pointless. Is there really any reason to trade, say, Strome, and then sign Hartman? What does that accomplish?

Am I crazy for thinking Corey Perry on a one year deal might not be the worst thing in the world?

I very well could be.

Depends on if he's healed. I'd take a flier on a motivated Perry, with something to prove.

Namestnikov, Vesey, and Strome are already short-term, bottom six roster filler, and Shatty, Smith can do that fine on defense. What problem are we trying to solve here? If the goal is to build depth to make a playoff run, then you need players who are top-6 capable.

They played this game with McQuaid last year, and it was pointless. Is there really any reason to trade, say, Strome, and then sign Hartman? What does that accomplish?

Considering they play completely different positions, nothing. But trading Vesey and signing Hartman makes plenty of sense to me.

If they can move Vesey and Namestnikov, I would have no issues with them signing anyone of those mentioned in the article. I liked Strome, he was good on face-offs and played with some fire here, but Vesey and Namestnikov were disappointments last year.

no offense but why are we in such a hurry to move namestikov and vesey. neither of them are hamstringing the cap and i think it would be much more prudent to see how there game goes during the year and still have the option to sell high going into the deadline. plus i still feel like, rfa or ufa signings aside we look a bit thin up front with the thinking that none of the kids, Kap's included come out of the gate like a house of fire.

would much rather concentrate on smith or shatty on the blueline and even god forbid seeing if you could move hank.

Thing is, they need to move a contract to sign Panarin.

And if they aren't signing him, I think you just use Vesey/Names as the depth guys that you say you are looking for in the article. No sense getting guys in their 30's or late 20s when you have kids.

And if they Rangers want to get depth guys, I'd target guys with upside/change of scenery guys. Burakovsky, Jost, maybe a Puljujarvi, Brown, Haula (28 but coming off injury)

Considering they play completely different positions, nothing. But trading Vesey and signing Hartman makes plenty of sense to me.

Strome played a bunch of wing too...but even if Vesey is the guy, what does that swap accomplish? You get, essentially, the same quality player, and potentially lose the flexibility of Vesey's expiring contract.

If you're going to give Hartman a 1-year, vet min deal to play 4th line minutes, why not just give those minutes to Gropp, Meskinen, Gettinger, Fogarty or whoever? The Rangers need to be shedding bottom-six forwards, not hot swapping them. Right now, you can trade two of those 3 bigger expiring contracts and still not have a hole to fill.

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Krav - Chytil - Kakko

Lias - Howden - Lemieux

Namest - Boo - Fast

Smith, Belesky

I just can't understand the motivation to want to add a bottom-6 player, even if it is a "good" one. There is nothing to gain by doing that and if he plays well, you're going to lose him after the season anyway, so you're back to where you started.

Strome played a bunch of wing too...but even if Vesey is the guy, what does that swap accomplish? You get, essentially, the same quality player, and potentially lose the flexibility of Vesey's expiring contract.

If you're going to give Hartman a 1-year, vet min deal to play 4th line minutes, why not just give those minutes to Gropp, Meskinen, Gettinger, Fogarty or whoever? The Rangers need to be shedding bottom-six forwards, not hot swapping them. Right now, you can trade two of those 3 bigger expiring contracts and still not have a hole to fill.

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Krav - Chytil - Kakko

Lias - Howden - Lemieux

Namest - Boo - Fast

Smith, Belesky

I just can't understand the motivation to want to add a bottom-6 player, even if it is a "good" one. There is nothing to gain by doing that and if he plays well, you're going to lose him after the season anyway, so you're back to where you started.

Because they're not actually NHL players and Hartman is?

So what?

What are you accomplishing by having a better player as your 14th forward?

Hartman is also better than Namestnikov and whatever the hell Lias Andersson is right now. He's a legitimate third-line energy player.

I'm also not at all convinced you're getting full 82-game NHL seasons out of Kakko, Kravtsov, Howden (who hit the wall hard last year), Andersson, and Chytil. Having, you know, actual NHL players under contract would help in the event any need to spend time in the AHL. The days of suffering Connor Brickley's and Matt Beleskey's should be over.

Hartman is also better than Namestnikov and whatever the hell Lias Andersson is right now. He's a legitimate third-line energy player.

I'm also not at all convinced you're getting full 82-game NHL seasons out of Kakko, Kravtsov, Howden (who hit the wall hard last year), Andersson, and Chytil. Having, you know, actual NHL players under contract would help in the event any need to spend time in the AHL. The days of suffering Connor Brickley's and Matt Beleskey's should be over.

But what are you trying to accomplish? What does "help" mean?

Replacing Beleskey with Hartman seems like a good way to give yourself a better shot at finishing 10th, and nothing else.

At this point, I dont know why you'd bring in Hartman. He's not a make or break guy, or the determining factor between playoffs and lottery. Besides, the kids need those minutes. They guys that might actually be difference makers in 2 -3 seasons when the team is in the playoffs.

No. The only person with a more punchable face than Vesey is Casey Mittelstadt.

And I'm not sure Perry's done as a depth guy. I think he could very well be a good 3rd liner who offers leadership and experience. I imagine he'll come cheap as well.

But Phil might be right that he'll be looking for a job as a depth piece with a contender.

He had 4 goals in 6 assists in 31 games last year. He was also a -16 averaging close to 15 minutes a night. Look at the precipitous decline since he turned 30. Not a guy I would even bother trying to bring in here because all indications are that he's done.

Based on what?

He had 4 goals in 6 assists in 31 games last year. He was also a -16 averaging close to 15 minutes a night. Look at the precipitous decline since he turned 30. Not a guy I would even bother trying to bring in here because all indications are that he's done.

He had those numbers coming off a bad injury.

He had 49 in 71 the season before that, and has averaged well over 50 since 2012.

You’re not bringing him in to be fantastic, you’re bringing him in on basically no money to put up 30ish points on the 3rd line and provide leadership and experience to a very young roster.

Doesn’t have to be Perry, but I think the team needs a guy like that. I do think a healthy, motivated Perry could have a nice bounce back year in that role.

He had those numbers coming off a bad injury.

He had 49 in 71 the season before that, and has averaged well over 50 since 2012.

You’re not bringing him in to be fantastic, you’re bringing him in on basically no money to put up 30ish points on the 3rd line and provide leadership and experience to a very young roster.

Doesn’t have to be Perry, but I think the team needs a guy like that. I do think a healthy, motivated Perry could have a nice bounce back year in that role.

Is Perry actually a leader like we'd covet though? I don't really hate the idea of bringing him in and hoping he contributes (though I wouldn't), but it takes a pretty specific personality to be a guy on a rebuilding team who will help young guys. He's always seemed like too much of a prick to be that guy lol