• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bridging the Gap: Short-Term Options for the 2019-20 Rangers

Phil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about bringing in a guy that's going to help out on 4th line duties, and also keep the opposition from taking liberties with our new superstar players;

Ryan Reaves @ 2.775 mil ....turns 33 on Jan 20, 2020

2018- 2019 80GP

9 Goals

11 assists

20 points

+1

74 Penalty Min

With reports that Panarin wants $12+ I'm way more inclined to go this route.

I don't know if Perry is the right choice but I'd gladly overpay someone like Pavelski for a couple years.

Pavelski declined visits in a couple of places where he thought the teams weren’t close enough to winning. All eyes are on Dallas and Tampa Bay, although Chicago may try to convince him to visit. The Stars are determined to add scorers.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-short-term-deals-break-rfa-stalemates/

I would imagine that means the Rangers as well so you can count out Pavelski at this point.

Id rather not have either player. If you're going to put up 30 points, you should be a rookie.

That works in a vacuum, not in reality. You can't skate a team of 20-year-olds plus a couple of high-end talents. Didn't work for Edmonton, won't work for New York.

How about bringing in a guy that's going to help out on 4th line duties, and also keep the opposition from taking liberties with our new superstar players;

2018- 2019 80GP

9 Goals

11 assists

20 points

+1

74 Penalty Min

Here we go again...;)

That works in a vacuum, not in reality. You can't skate a team of 20-year-olds plus a couple of high-end talents. Didn't work for Edmonton, won't work for New York.

I'm not asking to skate a team of 20 year olds. I just think if you're going to pay someone, pay them big money to do big things, not little money to do nothing.

I hate Vesey but I'm not sure what Hartman brings that Vesey doesn't. Vesey's money isn't really a problem at the moment and he can be moved easily.

2018- 2019 80GP

9 Goals

11 assists

20 points

+1

74 Penalty Min

Minus Kreider, you go in with Chytil, Kravtsov, Kakko, Strome, Buchnevich, Panarin*, Namesrnikov as your top 9. Other than Lemieux, you got nothing. Blueline doesn’t offer much in the way of muscle. almost a necessity to get some re-enforcement to give the kids some ice and “support”

Minus Kreider, you go in with Chytil, Kravtsov, Kakko, Strome, Buchnevich, Panarin*, Namesrnikov as your top 9. Other than Lemieux, you got nothing. Blueline doesn’t offer much in the way of muscle. almost a necessity to get some re-enforcement to give the kids some ice and “support”

It's not like the guy can't play, either. I think he'd be a valuable player for the next 3 seasons as these kids mature. Guys like Reaves are an instant smash here too! The crowd would love him to death, and in turn not a soul would even breath on our youngsters.

Reaves is one of the MOST feared players in the league....and still has it!

Am I right in reading that people want to sign Reaves for around $3 mil but don't want to pay Strome $4 mil?

This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.

Am I right in reading that people want to sign Reaves for around $3 mil but don't want to pay Strome $4 mil?

This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.

Reaves isn't a free agent. They'd have to trade for him. Which I'd do, to help Vegas' cap crunch, by making them pay for it in retention and an asset. :)

Reaves isn't a free agent. They'd have to trade for him. Which I'd do, to help Vegas' cap crunch, by making them pay for it in retention and an asset. :)

OK...This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.

Shortly after the rebuild letter, management mentioned they wanted "character" players. Brian Boyle is the quintessential ideal for a character player. If the article is correct and he could be had for 1.25 mill, short term, he would, imo, have multiple roles filled in. Plus having his size in front screening would certainly help the production (and confidence) on the third, fourth lines. Boyle hits all the check boxes.

I never said I was against Strome, Pete. ...as long as he gives us 100%.

Sorry got sidetracked there for a minute....(edit)

Yeah man, I have no issues with Strome, but there is going to be a phase here where these kids can use a bit of an insurance policy. I wouldn't want guys like Marchand and the like, taking liberties with players like KAkko and Kravtsov.

I know a lot of people are against the whole toughness and enforcer thing, but it does exist and for the up and coming youth of this team I just feel it's a necessity. I also know I'm in the minority with that sentiment, but I don't give a shit. We've never had a generational talent on this team since I've been watching (1971), and I'll be damned if I have to watch some fucking dirty prick like Marchand take out this kid's knee without the presence of some player on the Rangers that going to pull his spine out of his asshole if he does it.

Like I said man, we can disagree on it, but I just feel it's part of these kids being able to flourish....You gotta pull the weeds out of the way in order to grow free.

OK...This is just mind boggling and archaic thinking. "Toughness" isn't even a thing in the NHL anymore. when the Blues started playing smart instead of trying to play in Boston's face outside the whistles, that's when they started winning.

I never said anything about toughness. I said I'd happily take on the Reaves deal if Vegas retained and gave the Rangers something for helping them out of a cap crunch. Reaves' leadership and general demeanor would be added benefits, I'd think. Plus the odd fight he may get in during the season. He's not an awful fourth-line player, either.

• Like 1

I never said I was against Strome, Pete. ...as long as he gives us 100%.

Sorry got sidetracked there for a minute....(edit)

Yeah man, I have no issues with Strome, but there is going to be a phase here where these kids can use a bit of an insurance policy. I wouldn't want guys like Marchand and the like, taking liberties with players like KAkko and Kravtsov.

I know a lot of people are against the whole toughness and enforcer thing, but it does exist and for the up and coming youth of this team I just feel it's a necessity. I also know I'm in the minority with that sentiment, but I don't give a shit. We've never had a generational talent on this team since I've been watching (1971), and I'll be damned if I have to watch some fucking dirty prick like Marchand take out this kid's knee without the presence of some player on the Rangers that going to pull his spine out of his asshole if he does it.

Like I said man, we can disagree on it, but I just feel it's part of these kids being able to flourish....You gotta pull the weeds out of the way in order to grow free.

having Reaves or another tough guy will not deter Marchand and his kind cheap-shotting players. it hasn't yet and most likely never will.

having Reaves or another tough guy will not deter Marchand and his kind cheap-shotting players. it hasn't yet and most likely never will.

I dunno, CC...It would make a guy think twice and sometimes that's all you need. You go back a long way, like I do...and if you remember back a ways, Gretzky first Dave Semenko, McClellan and then added Marty McSorely to make sure no one messed with those guys.

Yes, it was back in the day, and the game has "changed".

BUT...shit still goes down out there on the ice...not as much!! ...but it still happens.

I dunno, CC...It would make a guy think twice and sometimes that's all you need. You go back a long way, like I do...and if you remember back a ways, Gretzky first Dave Semenko, McClellan and then added Marty McSorely to make sure no one messed with those guys.

Yes, it was back in the day, and the game has "changed".

BUT...shit still goes down out there on the ice...not as much!! ...but it still happens.

game did change, Gretzky had Semenko almost 40 years ago.