• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Hire Tuomo Ruutu as European-Based Development Coach

Phil

The Rangers have hired Tuomo Ruutu as their European-based development coach. Jed Ortmeyer and Tanner Glass will be based in North America. The club may hire a defenseman as a fourth development coach. Ruutu played 12 seasons in the NHL for the Blackhawks, Hurricanes and Devils.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/25/kaapo-kakko-gives-first-impression-on-life-as-a-ranger/

Wtf does a development coach even do?

I'd be super annoyed if I was the HC in Liiga or whatever, and fucking Tuomo Ruutu was telling my players anything.

I'd imagine a development coach is someone who checks in with already drafted Rangers players regularly. Basically just initiating that relationship before it really beings. I doubt Ruutu is going to be telling someone he should have dumped the puck instead of stickhandling in the second period two weeks ago.

I'd imagine a development coach is someone who checks in with already drafted Rangers players regularly. Basically just initiating that relationship before it really beings. I doubt Ruutu is going to be telling someone he should have dumped the puck instead of stickhandling in the second period two weeks ago.

also Im sure the coaches on european teams know the deal. The young, drafted players they are coaching want to go overseas and play in the NHL. Having someone from the organization occasionally helping them out and doing some extra coaching isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if it isn't doing anything to hurt the team they currently play for

My guess is they also act as a sounding-board for development related questions. Stuff specific to the desire to play in the NHL and make the transition overseas, like what the Rangers are looking for the person to improve on, what the best next actions are (another year in the SEL or come over to the AHL, for example), what can be done to ease language barriers and get set up in the States, etc.

I'd be super annoyed if I was the HC in Liiga or whatever, and fucking Tuomo Ruutu was telling my players anything.

Adam Oates is a development coach whom teams want players working with.

I see this as an on-the-ground extension of the organization who can help set goals and skills programs for prospects. A liaison.

And with the exponential talent coming out of Finland, love this move.

I'm pretty sure that if Tuomo Ruutu played his entire NHL career in the SM Liiga, he'd have shattered every goddamn record in that league.

You could do a hell of a lot worse than a top 20 all-time Finn.