• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Road to Contending and the Rebuild "On the Fly": What's Missing?

I'd agree with most of this post if you substituted "competing ferociously and exceeding expectations" for "trying to contend"in the last sentence. When we're ready to contend, we're all going to know it based on how the team has coalesced and performed; not how a bunch of kids, including key members who have never played a single NHL game, look like they are supposed to perform on paper. The way it worked out at the end of the season - with Quinn saying fuck the tank we're going to try and win to the end, and then getting the 2nd pick despite having won the final game in OT to lose the 27th slot - was almost poetic. Both things have to go forward. Laserlike focus on building the winning Rangers culture and fully maximizing the development process (including revitalizing Hartford) will bring contention to MSG at the soonest possible moment.
Well said, RG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spread out what you have. Trouba and Skjei are the closest things to shutdown dmen the team has. On top of that, there are a ton of offensive dmen, and everyone struggles in his own zone.

Trouba and Skjei are both skilled and knowledgeable enough to both, allow their offensive partners to flourish in that role, but both are able to use their skill and speed to jump into the rush, or back door, when the opportunity exists. In fact, some of the best highlights from Trouba are him sneaking far post, and Skjei when he's the trailer. Giving each and offensive guy to pair with allows them to do this even more.

ADA played a lot on the left side prior to the NHL. He said he's comfortable over there, as well. Perfect guy to try with Trouba. Give ADA the minutes and the opportunity.

Skjei continues to show, time and time again, that he plays much better hockey when he's a 2nd or 3rd pair guy. Now is the time to be a great 2nd pair guy, with Trouba manning the top pair. Pair him with Fox, (or Shattenkirk). But Skjei needs to focus on being a SAH defender, first and foremost. The points are an additional benefit, but the focus has to be in his own zone.

Staal - Shatty should be ok as a third pair.

I'm also a huge advocate for guys rotating through the lineup, and taking occasional nights off. Get these guys are 50-65 games a season, and they'll grow more in the NHL than they would in the AHL. That's assuming its Rykov/Lindgren/Fox rotating through, but even the vets getting nights off.

Spread out what you have. Trouba and Skjei are the closest things to shutdown dmen the team has. On top of that, there are a ton of offensive dmen, and everyone struggles in his own zone.

Trouba and Skjei are both skilled and knowledgeable enough to both, allow their offensive partners to flourish in that role, but both are able to use their skill and speed to jump into the rush, or back door, when the opportunity exists. In fact, some of the best highlights from Trouba are him sneaking far post, and Skjei when he's the trailer. Giving each and offensive guy to pair with allows them to do this even more.

ADA played a lot on the left side prior to the NHL. He said he's comfortable over there, as well. Perfect guy to try with Trouba. Give ADA the minutes and the opportunity.

Skjei continues to show, time and time again, that he plays much better hockey when he's a 2nd or 3rd pair guy. Now is the time to be a great 2nd pair guy, with Trouba manning the top pair. Pair him with Fox, (or Shattenkirk). But Skjei needs to focus on being a SAH defender, first and foremost. The points are an additional benefit, but the focus has to be in his own zone.

Staal - Shatty should be ok as a third pair.

I'm also a huge advocate for guys rotating through the lineup, and taking occasional nights off. Get these guys are 50-65 games a season, and they'll grow more in the NHL than they would in the AHL. That's assuming its Rykov/Lindgren/Fox rotating through, but even the vets getting nights off.

That all makes huge sense. Thanks.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I thought Lindgren looked pretty solid in the handful of games he played. He has that Kevin Klein look that says don't fuck with me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I’m a big fan of Lindgren. Unfortunately for him, he may have arrived at the worst time. There are a number of bad NHL contracts he’ll have to wait out. Then, a handful of young defensemen flooding the system. He’s not flashy, and won’t always stand out

I really find that people trying to explain team playoff success are trying to explain the outcome of a coin flip.

You aren't going to determine the best team in hockey in a 6 week tournament. You're going to determine that over the regular season. That should be obvious, but somehow it's not.

That's why it's important to just get in. Truly, anything can happen, this year should prove that beyond any doubt, but I'm sure it won't, people will continue to try to explain the outcome of the coin flip.

I’m not trying to explain their success. I’m saying that

a) they’re not a great example of a team just getting in and the stars aligning and

b) what they were able to do isn’t indicative of what the Rangers may or may not achieve given the makeup of the two rosters are diametrically different

I’m not sure how those are controversial statements.

I’m a big fan of Lindgren. Unfortunately for him, he may have arrived at the worst time. There are a number of bad NHL contracts he’ll have to wait out. Then, a handful of young defensemen flooding the system. He’s not flashy, and won’t always stand out

I like Lindgren too, and I feel he has time on his side. Nothing wrong with him rounding out his game in the A for another year or even two. Even with the young guys coming through there is still room for a tough, no nonsense SAH 3rd pair guy like him.