• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

VGK Re-Sign William Karlsson to 8-Year Extension

Phil

Unlike Karlsson, Kreider has to pay income tax in NY. Nevada is a tax free state so the Knights have a big advantage

Not my problem or the Rangers. Cap is the cap, no matter what taxes there are. If he wants more money there are other teams to accommodate him.

Not my problem or the Rangers. Cap is the cap, no matter what taxes there are. If he wants more money there are other teams to accommodate him.

It is the Rangers problem, either they miss out on a free agent because they are willing to take less and net the same in Nevada, Texas, Florida, whatever - or teams in those states can fit more talent under the cap than the Rangers because the players can take a discount and net the same and they are tougher competition

The tax free stuff is blown a bit out of proportion since it's only tax free on half the contract because only half the games are actually played at home in state. New York versus a no-income state will be a difference of about 4.5% of the total contract value. It's nothing to sneeze at and could be a differentiator if all else equal, but two things:

1) Often times a big market can make up this rather small difference in endorsements.

2) Athletes are humans and sometimes paying a small penalty to live somewhere more desirable to them is absolutely worth it. Quality of life has a price. I'd like to think that in general, living in NYC and playing in MSG is favorable to many athletes.

I'd like to think that in general, living in NYC and playing in MSG is favorable to many athletes.

It is for many, but then again the cost of living in NYC is significantly higher than other American cities. That's why the pay is so much higher here for everyone except salary capped professional athletes. Dolan is laughing all the way to the bank, insane revenues and he's not allowed to put it back in the team.

But that's New York, what about a player in San Jose with even worse California income taxes and not much to do to have fun. It's just not a level playing field, all teams in taxed states should have the option to give players a cap-exempt bonus roughly equal to their extra tax burden versus zero income tax states

It is for many, but then again the cost of living in NYC is significantly higher than other American cities. That's why the pay is so much higher here for everyone except salary capped professional athletes. Dolan is laughing all the way to the bank, insane revenues and he's not allowed to put it back in the team.

But that's New York, what about a player in San Jose with even worse California income taxes and not much to do to have fun. It's just not a level playing field, all teams in taxed states should have the option to give players a cap-exempt bonus roughly equal to their extra tax burden versus zero income tax states

I hear you, but they aren't people with normal jobs where cost of living can be the difference between affording to live there or not (i.e., rent or mortgage too high). They can buy homes with cash, and they can get it back if/when they sell it.