• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pronman/Wheeler 2019 Draft Grades

Gravesy

Pronman:

New York Rangers: A

The Rangers got a huge piece in Kaapo Kakko, a projected star in the NHL. On Day 2 I thought they helped their system. It wasn?t the exact order I would have taken players in, but I think both Matthew Robertson and Zachary Jones are NHL defensemen. I also think Karl Henriksson and Leevi Aaltonen are very much on the NHL radar. If they get three players from this draft, including Kakko, that would be a great draft, and I think that?s realistic.

https://theathletic.com/1041814/2019/06/22/pronman-2019-nhl-draft-grades-for-all-31-teams/

Wheeler:

Overtime Winners

New York Rangers

I was really high on Matthew Roberston heading into the season (like late first round high) and then he never really took the big steps I was expecting out of a long defenceman with his skillset. There?s a TON to work with there though. A worthwhile project.

The Karl Henriksson pick at No. 58 fits that same mould too. He?s a little guy with loads of talent as a passer. If he can get a little stronger and learn to go to the net, he?ll be good.

I love Zachary Jones, too. He ranked No. 63 on my board and I debated having him several slots higher. He was a kid who I recently wrote about as a potential sleeper and I think that?s true at No. 68.

All told, I liked what the Rangers did on Day 2. The Leevi Aaltonen pick really jumped out at me in the fifth round. He ranked at No. 92 in my final ranking and I included him as one of my 10 sleepers of the draft for his fearlessness (he?s 5-foot-9 but he doesn?t play like it). That?s a great pick 130thoverall. A worthwhile swing on talent (as most swings on talent tend to be).

https://theathletic.com/1041862/2019/06/22/wheeler-ranking-every-teams-day-2-at-the-2019-nhl-draft/

So, all told..well done Jeff & Co? I'll happily admit to not knowing anything about anyone they picked on day 2.