• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft RW Kaapo Kakko in 1st Rd. (2nd) Pick

Phil

Link:

Link:

--

Name: Kaapo Kakko

Position: RW

Shoots: L

Current Team: TPS / Liiga

A quick-thinking winger, Kakko never seems to be in a rush. He reads the game exceptionally well and finds himself a step ahead while the play is still developing. He is confident with the puck and capable of handling it in small spaces. With his size, Kakko protects the puck well and uses his high hockey IQ to make smart offensive plays. Kakko excels offensively and beats opponents with smarts and skill both on and off the puck. (Matias Strozyk, EP 2018)

Adaptable with the puck, threading the needle through traffic to feed his teammates scoring chances or driving to the net-front himself, EPrinkside.com 2019

He’s near-impossible to push off of the puck, and that comes in handy when one spends as much time in tight to the opponent’s net as Kakko, EPrinkside.com 2019

Kakko’s hockey sense blends into his craftiness, leaving defenders without a lot of options when attempting to shutdown his game., Hockeyprospect.com 2019

Displaying spectacular puck skills, he’s strong in the corners and has shown that he’s a beast physically., Future Considerations 2019

As quick as his feet are, his hands are at least their equals, McKeen's Hockey 2019

Elite Prospects Profile: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/396655/kaapo-kakko

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=211199

Team Player Page:https://liiga.fi/fi/pelaajat/40005898/kakko-kaapo

It is going to be a fascinating side-by-side because the first 2 picks are both going to in the largest media market in North America. And playing for 2 teams with a pretty good rivalry.

The differences between them -- one bigger and stronger, the other more ready-to-play but svelte -- adds to the intrigue.

I hope they are both good players. Well, I hope Kakko is great. :D

Ah okay. I value your opinion on prospects so when you said that I got kind of depressed lol. I hate watching NJ get better, and my understanding was, if anything, Hughes and Kakko were 1a and 1b.

Just the slightest edge in the surface because of positions played. Hardly any difference of potential between them

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What do you like about Kakko?

"The thing I love about Kakko is he's a guy who can score goals and he's a playmaker as well. He's a guy who played center for a long time until he was 15 or 16, so he does have that playmaking ability, and boy there is an awful lot of room for physical growth from him. As big (6-foot-2, 194 pounds) and strong as he is, you look at him, boy in three or four years when he's in his early 20s he's going to be a much bigger guy."

Do you agree with the reports that he should be able to step into the lineup right away?

"I don't want to put too much pressure on him. Obviously when you're drafted that high the opportunity for those guys is there. You step into a team that didn't make the (Stanley Cup) Playoffs last year, a team that is looking for help. The League has gone younger but also you want to put these players in position to have success. Everybody is anticipating that, I'm anticipating it, but some people handle an adjustment to the NHL different than others and sometimes it's quicker for others."

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-rangers-david-quinn-believes-additions-make-playoffs-possible/c-308116304

• Phil unpinned this topic