• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko Help Renew Devils-Rangers Rivalry

Kevin

Stan Fischler said he has never seen anything like the Jack Hughes vs. Kaapo Kakko spectacle: two elite prospects, who will be taken first and second in the 2019 NHL draft by the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers, two storied geographic rivals.

"This is a first for me. And I've been watching the game since 1939," said Fischler, 87, a renowned hockey historian and a fixture on the New York puck scene since the 1950s.

At the NHL draft lottery in April, Shero nervously watched NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly flip the placards revealing NHL logos. When Chicago jumped into the top three, he thought "that's not good for us." He figured the Devils would be sixth. But Daly flipped over the Detroit Red Wings' logo in the No. 6 spot. Then fifth, but that was the Los Angeles Kings. Then fourth, but that was the Colorado Avalanche by way of the Ottawa Senators, who were the NHL's worst team. The Devils were in the final three picks, which their pre-draft lottery odds (11.5%) had predicted. But so were the Rangers, who had the sixth-best chance (7.5%).

"At that point, you're not even really thinking. It happens so quickly. You're not even thinking that the other guy left is in your division or anything. You're just thinking, 'S---, that would be great.' You're there, and you might as well try to win," said Shero, whose team won the lottery for the second time in three years.

"I know Jeff [Gorton, Rangers GM] pretty well. He's a great guy. There are a lot worse positions than to be up there. I can't really worry about what other team is still standing. Just that it's Jersey that won."

"It'll be really competitive for a lot of years," Hughes told ESPN during the Stanley Cup Final. "Whether it's the Devils or the Rangers, we're going to be linked for a long time, with us going to places that are so close to each other."

Piece by Wyshnyski on ESPN talking about how rare what we're going to see tonight is.

--

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27010408/jack-hughes-kaapo-kakko-help-renew-devils-rangers-rivalry

What if.....

…. the Devils do something really stupid ( like NYR may have done in the past :mad: ) and go off the reservation and pick neither Kakko or Hughes and NYR has to choose between them??? I know highly unlikely, but what IF....?

What if.....

…. the Devils do something really stupid ( like NYR may have done in the past :mad: ) and go off the reservation and pick neither Kakko or Hughes and NYR has to choose between them??? I know highly unlikely, but what IF....?

Hughes.

Then throw Kreider, Andersson, Lundkvist and #58 to Chicago for #3 overall. Kakko.

• Like 1

this years draft is deep. from what i'm hearing next year's is even deeper. the two after that, not so much. i'm asking for draft picks this year and next with whatever i have on the roster to trade., i.e. kreider, names, strome... etc.

Hopefully zucc signs in Dallas.

I think Hughes could be a bust

His size concerns me. I know there are many other great traits that make up for that, but I cant help but feel the game is getting bigger. I have zero actual evidence to back this up but I cant help but think 6'1 - 6'4 200+ pounds is the new star pedigree.

His size concerns me. I know there are many other great traits that make up for that, but I cant help but feel the game is getting bigger. I have zero actual evidence to back this up but I cant help but think 6'1 - 6'4 200+ pounds is the new star pedigree.

yup, his size is my only concern. his skating and playmaking ability is unquestionable

seems like they want him, and the feeling is mutual. just comes down to $$ and term.

they need a guy like him on the club, and he had good production in the post season.

Yeah, I just looked it up. He was tied for the team lead in points with Seguin( playoffs). 11 points in 13 games. His shot percentage was 18% while Seguin was 8% with a good dose more minutes. Besides his injury, he played beyond his expectations.